Help identifying component behind the instrument panel

PilotX

Never mind the spaghetti. Can anybody help with identification of this item in the front of the instrument panel? I have run the numbers M-RC218A on Google, asked a local MSer, gone through the parts manual and I still can't find it. Maybe old avionics component running to the back? 

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2204.JPG

The one next to it looks like it says M-RC217A.  With sequential numbering like that are you sure those aren't just identifiers for the connectors/wire bundles?  With a bunch of nearly identical connectors they probably labeled them to make it easier to get them back in the right spot if you disconnect more than one at a time.

Ok. @bradp got a little closer, also found a thread where @carusoam mentioned wiring diagrams are in the the long-body maintenance manual, I seem to be missing section for wiring diagrams (think they were provided by SN). @thinwing do you have the wiring diagram for 27-0062 that might help me find what these plugs go to?

1741528717_ScreenShot2021-04-07at12_36_16PM.thumb.png.704738e3bc67528cca062b1ab584c820.png

In my M20L (long body) wiring schematics that part is listed as the 800288-510 Ground Box Assembly.  Looks like it's mostly for the panel dimmer.  There also a reference to this as the Ground/Dimmer box  --L-PB191A.  I was troubleshooting this recently in chasing down a problem with my panel lighting. 

• Like 1

Mooney is meticulous with grounding -- at least on my M20J and later models. All the ground wires run back to a common ground point through connectors (those connectors are called CPC -- Circular Plastic Connectors). This looks like the ground point and each wire is a ground return for some circuit. Each wire will have a number on it that matches the schematic. Schematics are in volume 2 of my M20J Service and Maintenance Manual and I assume that is the case for later models as well.

Skip

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thinwing said:

on the mooney maintance manual for the M series...(on a thumbdrive)there are pages of wiring diagrams that are really hard to read....are you trying to trace every single wire on that connector?

Trying to figure out if this was more dead weight that I could remove or if it went to something. After taking everything out I can’t imagine there’s much original Mooney stuff left except for perhaps interior lighting and exterior lighting.

1B74F1E3-57EC-4310-85C7-98B93FD59028.jpeg

8 minutes ago, PilotX said:

Trying to figure out if this was more dead weight that I could remove or if it went to something. After taking everything out I can’t imagine there’s much original Mooney stuff left except for perhaps interior lighting and exterior lighting.

Look at your circuit breaker panel. Every breaker supplies current to some electrical component and every component needs a return path through a wire to the ground connectors.