Ideal M20M TLS oil pressure during run up?

Jonás

Hello to all,

I am wondering about the upper limit for engine oil pressure and the damage to the pump and filter associated with it. I hope that I can benefit with the vast collective knowledge in this forum.

What do you think is the ideal oil pressure, 2000 RPM during run up for a M20M TLS Bravo with TIO540-AF1B model and about 300 hours?

Mine will go into the yellow arc above 95 PSI if I haven't preheated on a cooler day (~40 degrees F) and I do the run up as soon as the cylinders are above 250 degrees and the oil is above 100 degrees. If I've preheated or the engine has been running long enough to get the oil warmer it sits at about 80-90 PSI during the run up and then is again  80 PSI in cruise with the oil at 185-190 degrees.

Cheers,
Rick

At higher altitudes my oil pressure decreased into the yellow range making me very uncomfortable.  Top Gun changed the oil pressure spring to a stiffer one.  At higher altitudes the pressure is now in the normal range.  However, on startup the pressure is in the red range until the oil heats up.  This means a longer wait on the ground until the pressure goes into the green range.  So, higher oil pressure on startup is normal.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. My mechanic was a concern because he saw a 90PSI at run up. I am new to the Bravo and do not have a frame of reference. The range that I have seen this far during flight is between 75-85PSI. 

Update:

My mechanic call Victor Aviation Service and They confirmed that at about 90 PSI during run up and between 72PSI to 85PSI "is  what they like to see in flight".

Edited by Jonás

Ideally an engine will run in flight and at run up at the pressure the oil bypass valve is set for.

You can’t increase the oil pressure on an engine unless the valve is open, because of course your adjusting it’s closing pressure.

With cold oil it’s possible to exceed the bypass set point, and a bypass valve isn’t an on or off switch either, it cracks open at a pressure that’s much lower than it’s fully open pressure, so that’s why you don’t see one set number always.

Personally I don’t get upset with high pressure unless it’s in the red, I smile at pressures at the top of the green.

‘Good motors run high pressures, old worn out ones don’t.

The Bravo has an interesting OilP sensor...

It has a vent hole on the side... to help with the pressure reading accuracy at higher altitudes...

If somebody blocks your vent hole... you may get funny readings at altitude...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-