Newbie questions

16 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I don’t know why everybody is so down on this guy. If he wants a project plane, let him have one. If he turns it into a piece of junk, that is his problem. If he makes a show piece out of it, well good for him. Let’s do what we can to steer him in the right direction.

I am NOT down on this guy.  I am just very concerned that a new guy to aviation is blind to his own naivete due to his admirable zeal.  If he turns it into a pile of junk is EXACTLY my concern, and fear for him.  I absolutely want to steer a new participant in aviation in the right direction.

I just can't see someone brand new to aviation, without even a PPL, pursing fixing THIS airplane as a smart move.  He's excited and wants his own plane...I get that.  The problem is purchasing THIS plane is VERY likely to end in disaster and sour a new member to GA.  I don't want that to happen.

I say, get his PPL.  Rent and fly a bit before diving into ownership; especially a 'project' plane.  Sorry, but fixing up a plane is NOT the same as refurbishing a land vehicle. 

• Like 1

Am I missing something. Last flown in 2011 but last annual in 2005? Talk about red flags. I think its a good rule of thumb to check the owner out as much as the plane, and that seems like a pretty big red flag.

• Like 3