Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot Flight Overview

Rmag

3 hours ago, Rmag said:

I just uploaded an in flight demonstration and overview of all the features of the Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot.  Enjoy!

"What is necessary is that you have a Garmin G5 or a Garmin GI 275 to provide the reference headings and altitudes to the autopilot."  

I thought G3X Touch can also drive the GFC 500, or no?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

"What is necessary is that you have a Garmin G5 or a Garmin GI 275 to provide the reference headings and altitudes to the autopilot."  

I thought G3X Touch can also drive the GFC 500, or no?

You are correct. Missed it. 

On 4/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, Rmag said:

I just uploaded an in flight demonstration and overview of all the features of the Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot.  Enjoy!

At 00:27 in the video, is that an electronic deviation chart in the copilot window? I have up to 11 degrees of magnetometer deviation in the air with my new Garmin magnetometer/GI275. Garmin doesn't have a fix, so I am having to use a paper deviation chart for my new magnetometer. What system are you using to display the deviation?

Tom

Are you referring to my compass deviation card on the left side of my compass?  That’s the normal compass deviation card that every airplane would have.

Where is your magnetometer installed on your aircraft?  Sounds like it is in a location with some electromagnetic interference to be off that much.  You don’t want it in your tail for sure.  I have two independent magnetometers installed in the wing, 1 for my G500 TXi and 1 for my GI 275.  They are both accurate and are within 1-2° of each other.

What are you comparing your magnetometer to know it is that far off?

One thing that was confusing to me when first flying mine was the APR button. Best I can surmise is that it engages the VDI to capture glide slope. You noted in the video that all buttons on the left are for lateral nav, which is the idea, so I found it a bit confusing. It’ll fly the approach laterallly on nav mode, so the only thing APR does is a vertical function. @donkaye can you confirm or correct this? I’m still learning the system, had it installed and then went immediately into engine overhaul and just got it back so, not much time with it yet. 

thanks for the video! I took a thing or two from it. 

Look up what changes when you push your apr button... (user manual)

The appr button for BK APs adjusts the accuracy and sharpness of its actions to stay on approach course within the tightened limits needed for approach...

With older, less capable, computers... the difference in smoothness vs. accuracy were noticeable...

Modern APs might not have as noticeable control challenges...

PP thoughts only.

Best regards,

-a-

24 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

One thing that was confusing to me when first flying mine was the APR button. Best I can surmise is that it engages the VDI to capture glide slope. You noted in the video that all buttons on the left are for lateral nav, which is the idea, so I found it a bit confusing. It’ll fly the approach laterallly on nav mode, so the only thing APR does is a vertical function. @donkaye can you confirm or correct this? I’m still learning the system, had it installed and then went immediately into engine overhaul and just got it back so, not much time with it yet. 

thanks for the video! I took a thing or two from it. 

All approaches with vertical navigation should be run with the APR button.  All approaches without vertical navigation should be run with the NAV button.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rmag said:

Are you referring to my compass deviation card on the left side of my compass?  That’s the normal compass deviation card that every airplane would have.

Where is your magnetometer installed on your aircraft?  Sounds like it is in a location with some electromagnetic interference to be off that much.  You don’t want it in your tail for sure.  I have two independent magnetometers installed in the wing, 1 for my G500 TXi and 1 for my GI 275.  They are both accurate and are within 1-2° of each other.

What are you comparing your magnetometer to know it is that far off?

No. I am asking what is the electronic screen in the copilot window 27 seconds into the video. It looks like a huge deviation card. 

Tom

Untitled-1.jpg.80444cfc9e3d6493367b9b48909f294b.jpg

11 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

No. I am asking what is the electronic screen in the copilot window 27 seconds into the video. It looks like a huge deviation card. 

Tom

If what you are talking about is what I have circled in red then I think that is his compass deviation card taped to the side of his compass.  I don't think it is electronic.  It is taped over giving it a reflective quality but not electronic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, donkaye said:

All approaches with vertical navigation should be run with the APR button.  All approaches without vertical navigation should be run with the NAV button.

This is correct.  @201Steve the APR button is on the side of the lateral navigation, but it does both lateral and vertical so it could be put on either side, but it had to go somewhere and the left side had the space for it.

11 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

The attached screenshot is the 27 sec mark of the video.  The only thing I can see is the compass deviation card taped to the left side of my compass.

798F6BB7-BC81-4DF3-9C15-5154318903D6.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, donkaye said:

I understand the APR button shouldn’t be activated until on final approach course? Or activated once established on any segment?

I’ve had a little bit of a challenge dialing it all in as I’ve never flown with a working autopilot before, few CFI’s in my area (none) understand that autopilot in unison with my G5’s and 650 with mastery. The users manual lacks clarity in some instances. I’ve watched every Garmin video on YouTube about each system. 

What resource would you suggest for mastery of G5’s, GFC500, and 650 combo?

8 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

I understand the APR button shouldn’t be activated until on final approach course? Or activated once established on any segment?

I’ve had a little bit of a challenge dialing it all in as I’ve never flown with a working autopilot before, few CFI’s in my area (none) understand that autopilot in unison with my G5’s and 650 with mastery. The users manual lacks clarity in some instances. I’ve watched every Garmin video on YouTube about each system. 

I really learned a lot watching this video. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimB said:

I really learned a lot watching this video. 

Yep- I’ve watched all of those videos. They do new ones every so often, it’s essentially the same lesson, but I watched them all for the one thing here and there that they mention differently in each version. 

8 hours ago, 201Steve said:

Steve:  In real IFR flying, you can hit the APR button after you have loaded an approach in the 650 and you have been cleared for the approach.  It will not be active however until you are established inbound and the glidepath or glideslope comes alive.  Prior to that you will see "GP" or "GS" annunciated in white as the armed mode as opposed to the green active mode.  You can see this in my video I had a VS descent active with ATLS armed when I hit the APR button.  When I did that the ALTS and GP were both in white armed in my annunciation.  As I descended, the ATLS became active as I approached 1,700 ft, and then eventually the GP became active on the approach.

The videos tutorials are good which you have said you have watched.  Certainly the video I did is a resource.  I would also read the Section 3 AUTOMATIC FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM of the 190-01112-12_g.pdf (garmin.com) G5 POH

For the 650, the iPad trainer, or the Garmin: PC Trainer Suite for GTN, G500/G600 TXi, GDU 620, GNX 375, GNC 355/355A, and GPS 175 <br> Launcher Updates & Downloads

• Like 2

first class video, puts Garman on notice on how to make a video, very well done

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

first class video, puts Garman on notice on how to make a video, very well done. we have the same system and your explanation and video shows the beauty of the Garmin system and operation. you explained and answered quite a few questions we had on the operation, which Garmin was weak on explanation. thanks