New interior armrests or not?

JoeM

I’m redoing my interior panels and looking for opinions on whether to keep the cushioned armrests or not? Bruce Jaeger says they’re not necessary. Anyone removed them?

31 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I’m redoing my interior panels and looking for opinions on whether to keep the cushioned armrests or not? Bruce Jaeger says they’re not necessary. Anyone removed them?

I took mine off my M20 J and sold it. I never used it and found it to just be in the way all the time.

Skip

I've never flown left seat up front with an arm rest, but I always use it when driving. And prefer using it when flying in back of the aluminum tube . . . . So it can't be necessary but can be useful. Or in the way.

I was actually considering adding what would be a right armrest on the pilot seat when I redo my interior.  I would think it would make things easier to rest the elbows and use less grip, but two hands for subtle adjustments.

I flew a plane years a go that had the fold down armrest and found that when the winds were a bit squirrely it was much easier to use both hands with a lighter grip and make subtle adjustments to stay on the approach.

It appears I misread the original question. It was the fold-down armrest attached to the pilot’s seat that I removed. I like the armrest molded into the left side panel. When I owned a 1978 M20J I found it too narrow - could hardly keep an elbow on it — and I made a larger base plate and had an upholstery shop  fabricate a larger one. Most of the added space from Bruce’s panels looks like it comes from removing the arm rests. 

Skip

So many side panels are so broken...  it would be difficult to use the rest...  (no comparison available)

So many foam cushions mounted there, had degraded, before falling off... (still hard to compare)

For the MSers with a good sidewall and a cushion still mounted there... is it in the right place enough to be usable?

So... if going with the fancy side panels... go with a fancy cushion... and hope that it lands in a usable location...

At least, with a Bruce interior... it will be a nice quality... and look good too.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

For the MSers with a good sidewall and a cushion still mounted there... is it in the right place enough to be usable?

For me it is.

Usable in turbulent conditions when approaching to land and during the landing itself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

So... if going with the fancy side panels... go with a fancy cushion... and hope that it lands in a usable location...

Yes, my factory left arm rest, redone with the interior sometime prior to 2007, is great! My seats are wool, so are the strips on the door, and I suppose the carpets too.