LADD Works

A64Pilot

On another thread we got to talking about privacy and among other things how anyone can see everywhere we fly by using Flight Aware and  other agencies.

‘Well another member brought up LADD https://ladd.faa.gov

‘Well it’s free, painless, simply register on the above link and voila after the first Thursday of the month you will no longer be able to be tracked.

‘My tail number is N1141N go ahead and try to track me and see if you can, I’m sort of interested if you can, from my admittedly very limited computer skills, it seems that you can’t.

‘Maybe you guys already knew this, I didn’t to me it was a revelation

• Like 1

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

I may have to wait for you...  but I think I know where to look...

It would be nice to remove all addresses from the connection to the tail number...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

4BA00560-253A-4B49-8CB2-72B07D3D9447.png

That’s still the original owner, you’ll find him.

‘FAA is apparently at least 60 days behind updating the database, after I become the registered owner, then I was going to ask you guys how easy or hard it is to find my name, not the LLC that’s the registered owner, but me.

The company that is the Agent for the LLC supposedly provides anonymity and the State they are in apparently allows that, or they aren’t telling the truth, who knows?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Just wondering f you can reverse it as well?

Yes but it takes apparently to the first Thurs of every month to take effect, and it’s free. There is an intermediary selection too, but I don’t remember what it was.

‘I believe if you choose that intermediary selection and then pay Flight Aware some money, then you can set up a list of people who are allowed to track you.

‘However if you have a Garmin Inreach or Spot, then if you give them the url, friends can track you too, and of course you can simply turn the Spot or Inreach off.

Edited by A64Pilot

17 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

On another thread we got to talking about privacy and among other things how anyone can see everywhere we fly by using Flight Aware and  other agencies.

‘Well another member brought up LADD https://ladd.faa.gov

‘Well it’s free, painless, simply register on the above link and voila after the first Thursday of the month you will no longer be able to be tracked.

‘My tail number is N1141N go ahead and try to track me and see if you can, I’m sort of interested if you can, from my admittedly very limited computer skills, it seems that you can’t.

‘Maybe you guys already knew this, I didn’t to me it was a revelation

You are still trackable, if only you know where to look. 900AGL/95KTS when I looked.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a03d97 

When I first got my ADS-B transponder installed I signed up for the blocking and it worked.  About a year later I decided that I want to review the flights on flight aware.  So I switched to the middle option in LADD, the one that only websites that I subscribe to should show it.  LIES! This is not the case, anyone can see my flights.  Maybe the FAA put me on the wrong list, but I really don't care.

So you can either have them totally blocked, or totally public, despite what the FAA says.

4 hours ago, PilotX said:

You are still trackable, if only you know where to look. 900AGL/95KTS when I looked.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a03d97 

Interesting, yes that was part of the ILS, but only part. I had a squawk and was up approach for the whole arc, missed etc.

‘Wonder if that was a fluke, or are they receiving ADSB themselves and not relying on the the FAA to provide data?

Just looked and there is no history available for all of March and only the 6th of Apr? I’ve of course flown more than that

Edited by A64Pilot

There are a lot of sources besides the FAA. Check out FlightAware’s website to see where they get data. FlightAware told me that if you block through LADD then they won’t post your data from any source. But, then if you want to see data for a blocked aircraft for which you are the owner or operator you have to buy a premium version of the service.

Skip

4 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

‘Wonder if that was a fluke, or are they receiving ADSB themselves and not relying on the the FAA to provide data?

ADSB exchange doesn't get any data from the FAA, so they don't care about LADD or any other restrictions

Edited by JoshCox19

10 hours ago, JoshCox19 said:

ADSB exchange doesn't get any data from the FAA, so they don't care about LADD or any other restrictions

So where do they get the data? Do they have their own receivers? Surely the registration data is FAA?

Why do they exist? what’s the purpose? Who funds them?

Looked up the ADSB exchange thing, there are a lot of nuts out there willing to spend their own money and time to make some people they will never meet money I guess.

Brave New World I guess

Edited by A64Pilot

Just now, A64Pilot said:

So where do they get the data? Do they have their own receivers? Surely the registration data is FAA?

Why do they exist? what’s the purpose? Who funds them?

There are ADS-B receivers you can put in your PCs and APPs that publish the ADS-B returns on the web. There are 10s of thousands of these. There are even geeks that will sit at the end of runways and update private databases with the N#s associated with ADS-B codes. They will also listen to live ATC and correlate N-numbers with anonymous targets and update the databases. So having the FAA hide your data doesn't do much these days.

6 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

There are ADS-B receivers you can put in your PCs and APPs that publish the ADS-B returns on the web. There are 10s of thousands of these. There are even geeks that will sit at the end of runways and update private databases with the N#s associated with ADS-B codes. They will also listen to live ATC and correlate N-numbers with anonymous targets and update the databases. So having the FAA hide your data doesn't do much these days.

Yeah, I read that on their site, as I said it’s amazing how many people will spend their time and money, to make others money, because you know someone is making money from that, how I’m not sure.

‘You do what you can I guess, I’m just astonished it’s legal, so far as I know you can’t do that with automobiles etc.

20 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Yeah, I read that on their site, as I said it’s amazing how many people will spend their time and money, to make others money, because you know someone is making money from that, how I’m not sure.

‘You do what you can I guess, I’m just astonished it’s legal, so far as I know you can’t do that with automobiles etc.

Only because the data from the cars is encrypted.