406 ACK ELT

Eric Rehm

Lots of people monitor guard.   I do, and I hear traffic on there fairly regularly.   Missed handoffs get sorted out on there all the time, so the idea is that a lot of people are monitoring it.

You also hear the occasional mistake of somebody transmitting on there thinking they've switched to approach or center or something.   There's usually an immediate response of, "You're on guard,"   from somebody monitoring.

I haven't personally heard an ELT on there yet, but clearly it happens.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The only issue with old 121.5 ELT’s is that no one is listening for them.  How many people fly with their second radio monitoring the frequency?

Clarence

I monitor 121.5 on #2.  The only time I don't is when I switch #2 over to get the weather and then it's back to 121.5.

• Like 1

I also monitor Guard.  I actually relayed a Mayday once that NY App could not hear. 

Apparently the plane had a rough engine and they thought they could make it to an airport, which they ultimately did.  But they kept getting lower and lower and began to wonder if they were really going to make it, hence the Mayday.

19 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The only issue with old 121.5 ELT’s is that no one is listening for them.  How many people fly with their second radio monitoring the frequency?

Clarence

I do, and routinely hear calls from center for planes (often airliners) to switch to xxx.xx frequency from a missed handoff. On Superbowl Sunday we were flying back from AZ to CA but always knew the score of the game. Every time there was a score change someone on Guard announced it.

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

Lots of people monitor guard.   I do, and I hear traffic on there fairly regularly.   Missed handoffs get sorted out on there all the time, so the idea is that a lot of people are monitoring it.

You also hear the occasional mistake of somebody transmitting on there thinking they've switched to approach or center or something.   There's usually an immediate response of, "You're on guard,"   from somebody monitoring.

I haven't personally heard an ELT on their yet, but clearly it happens.

The one time I busted a Bravo (Vegas, the outer shelf at 9,500' by about a mile) was because I had tuned Guard and instead of hitting "Monitor" I flipped it to primary. Noticing I was in the Bravo I started an immediate turn and called to ask if I was cleared in the Bravo. After the second call I heard "You're on guard..." :unsure:

• Haha 1