G1000 to NXi upgrade

I would plan on at least double that if Mooney decides to dedicate the resources to do it. They would have to take their development & testing costs and spread it over how many people they project would do it, plus build in a profit margin. They spent a bundle on getting the G1000/Stec55 certified for WAAS and it was my understanding that not many people did it.

Piper has spent the money to provide an NXi path to G1000 Meridian (M500) owners, but they haven't spent the money for the G1000 Mirage (M350). Textron has spent the money to do the Cessna 172, but there is a huge training market there. With so few Mooneys in comparison it would be hard for the company to justify the cost. It wouldn't sell one more new airplane and in fact may cost some new sales if they start producing again.

Since the Ultras were already certified for the NXi that may help, but now were are about 4-5 years into the NXI. Does it make sense to spend the money when in maybe 4-5 years the next greatest thing will come out?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hilbilly said:

According to this article the cost is around $29K US. However I have heard some say its much more, anybody have any actual quotes?

I am considering an Acclaim with a G1000 and GFC700

Thanks

Hilgard

I'm no expert and I am sure others who are will chime in but I think you are not able to even do that at any cost until Mooney coordinates with Garmin on the necessary FAA certifications....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilbilly said:

According to this article the cost is around $29K US. However I have heard some say its much more, anybody have any actual quotes?

I am considering an Acclaim with a G1000 and GFC700

1 hour ago, alextstone said:

I'm no expert and I am sure others who are will chime in but I think you are not able to even do that at any cost until Mooney coordinates with Garmin on the necessary FAA certifications....

Correct.  Although the upgrade isn't available for Mooney aircraft (yet), the Garmin pricing in @Hilbilly's link assumes one already has a GFC700 autopilot installed, which is a requirement to upgrade to the NXi.

For G1000-equipped Ovations and Acclaims with the STEC-55X autopilot, the upgrade path would likely be substantially more...between $90k - $100k USD, as the GFC700 autopilot would reflect the majority of that cost.  I say "likely" because past upgrades of STEC-equipped G1000 airplanes to GFC700 + WAAS and Synthetic Vision have exceeded that range.  Given past precedent, I can't see Mooney and Garmin making it much cheaper in the future, should it come to fruition.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

This underscores the advantage of non-G1000 Mooneys that can be upgraded to the same capacity as a NXi without the ha$$le.

I would really like Flightstream and a Flightpathmarker, only available with NXi.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hilbilly said:

This underscores the advantage of non-G1000 Mooneys that can be upgraded to the same capacity as a NXi without the ha$$le.

I would really like Flightstream and a Flightpathmarker, only available with NXi.

Flightstream is available for the GTN650 and 750, and my G3X has a flightpathmarker. I presume the TXI's do aswell.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, Hilbilly said:

The NXi upgrade is roughly equivalent to going from a legacy G500 to a 500TXi, and replacing your 750/650 to 750Xi/650Xi.  This combination is superior in performance to a legacy G1000-equipped cockpit.

I struggle with the notion that brokers and dealers price G1000 non-GFC700-equipped Ovations higher in many cases than airplanes with the aforementioned combination (Xi/TXi).  I've seen 1994 through 2004 airframes in better condition (mine included) than many 2005, 2006, and some 2007 airframes; yet the latter seem to fetch more money due to the apparent allure of the G1000, despite its inferiority.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

The NXi upgrade is roughly equivalent to going from a legacy G500 to a 500TXi, and replacing your 750/650 to 750Xi/650Xi.  This combination is superior in performance to a legacy G1000-equipped cockpit.

I struggle with brokers and dealers who price G1000 non-GFC700-equipped Ovations higher in many cases than airplanes with the aforementioned combination.  I've seen 1994 through 2004 airframes in better condition (mine included) than many 2005, 2006, and some 2007 airframes; yet the latter seem to fetch more money due to the apparent allure of the G1000 despite its inferiority.

I’ve always noticed a ~20k premium for ovation 2 aircraft 2000-2003 and another 20k for a dx model 2003.5-2004. I think it’s similar to the late model J’s very few available and many want the newest airframe possible. 

It’s surprising that no one has done dual 10 displays now that the cheaper g3x is certified to do so. It seems like space could easily be made if the left radio stack was abandoned. That (along with a gps and gfc500) would really close the gap between the g1000 and the older airframes. 

• 3 weeks later...

One might think that Garmin would have some incentive to make this happen. How different are the Ultras from the prior Ovations and Acclaims that the older ones with GFC 700s couldn't easily be certified for the NXI upgrade?

35 minutes ago, AeroSmith said:

One might think that Garmin would have some incentive to make this happen. How different are the Ultras from the prior Ovations and Acclaims that the older ones with GFC 700s couldn't easily be certified for the NXI upgrade?

Isn't it a Mooney issue since the airplanes were originally certified with a G1000?

On 4/6/2021 at 12:07 PM, MIm20c said:

It’s surprising that no one has done dual 10 displays now that the cheaper g3x is certified to do so. It seems like space could easily be made if the left radio stack was abandoned. That (along with a gps and gfc500) would really close the gap between the g1000 and the older airframes. 

With an airplane equipped with a G500/G500TXi and GTN 750(Xi)/650(Xi) with an optional yoke mounted Aera 760 and iPad, the addition of another display would be "display overload" in my opinion.  The display options available with that equipment leaves no desired information lacking.