More than you ever wanted to know about Aerodynamics

Well it makes sense that the sum of the rotational velocities of the vortexes will both add and subtract From the total lift vector depending on the local velocity vector. 

Actually, I should watch the video instead of making up BS from the screen shot.

We need to put together a Zoom Video conference.... to view that video...

I’d invite Rich, Cliffy, and my favorite mathematician, Erik @aviatoreb....

:)

I’m going to see how deep I can go into the video, solo...   but if they derive a triple integral... I’m going to have to go all Cirrus Red Handle....  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a neighbor in LAS that would know what is says because he had a Phd in Math and was a Prof at UNLV

Did you ever get the idea (like George Gobel  once said in Carson) that you were in a room of tuxedos and you were a pair of brown shoes?  :-)

Edited by cliffy
added text

12 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Meet me at the corner of Poplar and Henry tonight at midnight and we'll discus it  :-)

Ill bring a suitcase full of money in case we reach a quick cash deal.

You want ask me to pay for your fuel and bring a CFI I need to pay will you? Otherwise deal is off on the bridge.  (Does the bridge have a parachute?)

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

...   but if they derive a triple integral... I’m going to have to go all Cirrus Red Handle....  :)

Had a grad student Teaching Assistant do that in freshman Physics. It was sad, we were just learning single integrals, and he couldn't do anything using math less than a year or two ahead of us . . . . Wish I'd'a had a Red Handle for that class!

• Like 2

So lest anyone think that I - a PhD of mathematics and a math prof even, knows everything there is to know about mathematics - let me be the first to confess bounded and mortal human limits.  I know a bunch of stuff....but hardly everything. I know a good bit of fluids specifically - but not everything.

From a distant memory - Biot-Savart comes up in electromagnetism.  So instead of vorticity I am expecting to see a current element I dl cross r.  I dunno....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

So lest anyone think that I - a PhD of mathematics and a math prof even, knows everything there is to know about mathematics - let me be the first to confess bounded and mortal human limits.  I know a bunch of stuff....but hardly everything. I know a good bit of fluids specifically - but not everything.

From a distant memory - Biot-Savart comes up in electromagnetism.  So instead of vorticity I am expecting to see a current element I dl cross r.  I dunno....

I was gonna say, it doesn't look any worse than Maxwell's equations, or, more correctly, Heaviside's simplifications of Maxwell's equations.   Heaviside was genuinely brilliant.

Triple integrals aren't that bad when just dealing with 3-space, as they appear to be in the video.   When the variables are disparate it can get a lot weirder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I was gonna say, it doesn't look any worse than Maxwell's equations, or, more correctly, Heaviside's simplifications of Maxwell's equations.   Heaviside was genuinely brilliant.

Triple integrals aren't that bad when just dealing with 3-space, as they appear to be in the video.   When the variables are disparate it can get a lot weirder.

HUH ?????????????     They're coming to take me away, away, they're coming to take me away. :-)

Gotta put my brown shoes back on I guess. 

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

We need to put together a Zoom Video conference.... to view that video...

I’d invite Rich, Cliffy, and my favorite mathematician, Erik @aviatoreb....

:)

I’m going to see how deep I can go into the video, solo...   but if they derive a triple integral... I’m going to have to go all Cirrus Red Handle....  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I didn’t know you could even do a triple.

I was gonna say, it doesn't look any worse than Maxwell's equations, or, more correctly, Heaviside's simplifications of Maxwell's equations.   Heaviside was genuinely brilliant.”

Isn’t there a song about that in Cats?

I've always been amazed and impressed by those who can explain the complexity of Mathematics in easy to understand language and examples. My daughter is a 7th grade math teacher and you can bet I'm as proud as I can be of her skills. 

Then there's this guy in Australia. He's been teaching Maths as they call it down under, for a few years now, and recording each of his classes for YouTube. Just a really great teacher of Mathematics.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

Integrals of algebraic expressions are easy. Even at 10 dimensions. Adding trigonometry or Fourier/Laplace transforms spices things up... My favorite though are Green's diades.

That said, the amount of math in the video is excessive for any pilot (maybe not for test pilots or design engineer pilots...) However, in Europe, private students learn the lift equation. FAA doesn't require it. The equation in the faa 8083 book states the CL coefficient of lift "before" the 1/2 that comes from the integration (v squared)... And says something like "experiments have shown that"... I read that and took a long break. Nope, it was derived on chalk board... Wind tunnels helped the CL portion... Now I'm studying the AP books... For acceleration it states "fps/s" fps being foot per second. Seeing the 2nd derivative here is like finding waldo... Man, I'm so signing up my kids for the international baccalaureate program...

Ok, enough rant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I pull back and it goes up, I push in and it goes down, if I go too slow it falls down. What else do I need to know about aerodynamics?

Lose not thine airspeed- Lest the earth come up and smite Thee !

To paraphrase someone we know-  We all fly through the same air