Delayed Gear Extension

15 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I’m sure everyone does this, but just in case.... don’t forget to remove your wing tie down rings before flight per SIM20-114. :P

I remove mine every time I jack the plane, usually once a year at annual. Then I immediately reinstall them so they don't get lost!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I remove mine every time I jack the plane, usually once a year at annual. Then I immediately reinstall them so they don't get lost!

I bought the Lasar combined tie-down and jacking points and just leave them in there all the time, even when it gets jacked up.  I suspect they're less drag than the stock rings.   As far as I can tell they are not FAA-PMA or have an STC and are not standard parts so I'm sure they'll ultimately cause a devastating firey crash, or so I hear.

https://lasar.com/tie-downs/tie-down-jack-point-combo-ss-tie-down-wing

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

I bought the Lasar combined tie-down and jacking points and just leave them in there all the time, even when it gets jacked up.  I suspect they're less drag than the stock rings.   As far as I can tell they are not FAA-PMA or have an STC and are not standard parts so I'm sure they'll ultimately cause a devastating firey crash, or so I hear.

https://lasar.com/tie-downs/tie-down-jack-point-combo-ss-tie-down-wing

I ordered them too as they seem to be the cheapest jack pads for sale, what’s with the comment about helicoiling the airplane though, do they come with bolts smaller than what the tubes are tapped for?

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

As far as I can tell they are not FAA-PMA or have an STC and are not standard parts so I'm sure they'll ultimately cause a devastating firey crash, or so I hear.

Send them a sketch and call it an owner produced part.;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I ordered them too as they seem to be the cheapest jack pads for sale, what’s with the comment about helicoiling the airplane though, do they come with bolts smaller than what the tubes are tapped for?

Mine were direct replacement for the tie down rings that were in there.    I didn't have to heli-coil anything, but one of my tie-downs had a heli-coil in the block already with the regular tie-down rings.

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2021 at 6:41 PM, A64Pilot said:

At first I thought it was just my perception, but it’s happened a few times. Place the gear switch to down, and there is a several second delay before the gear begin to come down.

‘It’s intermittent, usually the gear starts down as soon as I put the switch to down, I delay gear extension until I get into the white arc, so the only real indicator of gear in transit to me is the gear unsafe light, but today coming back from Breakfast it seemed there was a four of five second delay between selecting the switch to down and it starting down.

‘Anyone heard of this before? Once they start down they come down at the same speed, it’s just a delay in starting.

81 J Model, 2200 airframe hours 

Were you ever able to isolate the cause of this? I have the same thing, on a relatively new aircraft. My mechanic and I have inspected everything from top to bottom and replaced both gear relays, but it still happens maybe 5% of the time where the gear takes a few seconds before it starts coming down. So far It's been an annoyance level problem and the gear has never failed to extend, but for obvious reasons I watch it closely.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:16 AM, Dustin Kurath said:

Were you ever able to isolate the cause of this? I have the same thing, on a relatively new aircraft. My mechanic and I have inspected everything from top to bottom and replaced both gear relays, but it still happens maybe 5% of the time where the gear takes a few seconds before it starts coming down. So far It's been an annoyance level problem and the gear has never failed to extend, but for obvious reasons I watch it closely.

Dustin,

There are a couple of threads describing something similar…

One is quite recently I think…

Have a look through this search, and see if they look familiar to what you are having…

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Gear delay&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

I’d also invite @M20Doc to stop by (gear delay on an M20U)

Best regards,

-a-

Try replacing the limit switches.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:16 AM, Dustin Kurath said:

Sorry, just saw this.

First I replaced the relays to no effect, then cleaned limit switches and nothing changed, was worried it might be the motor itself, maybe a bad armature spot like you get on a starter.

Ended up being the gear switch, the switch is readily available without the wheel, It seems what makes it a Mooney part is the plastic wheel, so you can buy the switch, unscrew the metal cap and put the plastic wheel on.

I first bought a used switch from someone here at a high price, it was a fair price though because the Mooney part number switch with the wheel is quite high, but doing some researching I found the part number for the switch itself, without the wheel.

Try this, just spray some Deoxit spray in the switch top and bottom when exercising the switch, if it’s the switch that will “fix” it, but for me at least it was a temporary fix, but it did isolate the fault to the switch.

99% sure this is the switch part number MS24659-23D Switch

It a DPDT switch so it’s actually two switches, but Mooney only uses one side, you should be able to move the wires over to the other side of the switch as my J model only used half the switch.

I just wanted to replace it with a new one, gear are important I think.

• Like 1