G3X and GFC 500 configuration options

PT20J

There are a lot of options when configuring the G3X/GFC 500. Many are only described in the Installation Manual which Garmin does not make generally available. You can get the Experimental Installation Manuals, but there are some differences between the experimental and certified versions.

So, the question for those who have installed these is: How did you discover and review all the options and communicate your preferences to your installer?

Also, I notice in the Experimental Installation Manual that the GFC 500 can be configured for CWS. Has anyone done that?

Skip

57 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Does the GFC500 have a decent set of yoke horn switches to go with it?

Like an improvement to the venerable BK switch block...

If you see a CWS button on their switch block... that would be a small hint...

PP thoughts only,

-a- 

Interesting question. All the installation pictures I've seen use the old switches. Garmin must have something available for new installations, but I can't find it on their website (but then it could be me: Garmin's website is only slightly better than their manuals). My yoke switches work fine, but there is a crack in the plastic that needs to be glued. But it seems weird to buy a new autopilot and reuse 25+ year-old B-K switches.

How about it? Anyone got a yoke switch setup that came from Garmin?

Skip

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Interesting question. All the installation pictures I've seen use the old switches. Garmin must have something available for new installations, but I can't find it on their website (but then it could be me: Garmin's website is only slightly better than their manuals). My yoke switches work fine, but there is a crack in the plastic that needs to be glued. But it seems weird to buy a new autopilot and reuse 25+ year-old B-K switches.

How about it? Anyone got a yoke switch setup that came from Garmin?

Skip

I think Cygnet (better known for Beech dual yokes) makes some of the hardware for Garmin, not sure about CWS though.  

In the install manual there are the following options for the trim switch.

1.  The switch provided by Garmin.  Inexpensive switch with thin lever (like a small toggle switch except with up and down functionality)

2.  Cygnet Switch - below.

image.png.fcfd16cf6e0c51e3c12e8a9366bb3328.png

3.  BK trim switch.

4.  STEC trim Switch.

CWS is not offered in the Certified product.  In this application it acts only as an autopilot disconnect switch when pressed.  In the experimental version, there is the ability to configure the function of the switch so that a momentary contact disconnects the autopilot and a push and hold acts as CWS.  It's wired to the same connectors on the servos, just configured different through software.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2021 at 10:59 PM, Warren said:

In the install manual there are the following options for the trim switch.

1.  The switch provided by Garmin.  Inexpensive switch with thin lever (like a small toggle switch except with up and down functionality)

2.  Cygnet Switch - below.

image.png.fcfd16cf6e0c51e3c12e8a9366bb3328.png

3.  BK trim switch.

4.  STEC trim Switch.

CWS is not offered in the Certified product.  In this application it acts only as an autopilot disconnect switch when pressed.  In the experimental version, there is the ability to configure the function of the switch so that a momentary contact disconnects the autopilot and a push and hold acts as CWS.  It's wired to the same connectors on the servos, just configured different through software.

Bummer.  I like the CWS option in my kap150.  Lee

59 minutes ago, laytonl said:

Bummer.  I like the CWS option in my kap150.  Lee

I thought CWS was a great idea when I got my S-Tec 55x but can only remember using it once or twice in the 20+ years I had it.  I don't miss it on the GFC-500.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 201Mooniac said:

I thought CWS was a great idea when I got my S-Tec 55x but can only remember using it once or twice in the 20+ years I had it.  I don't miss it on the GFC-500.

I liked it on my KFC 200 years ago because a single press would activate the FD and sync it to the current flight condition. But a flight director only serves two purposes: 1) to assist hand flying, and 2) to monitor visually what the autopilot is doing. Since modern doctrine is to fly most segments on autopilot there isn’t a lot of hand instrument flying going on and CWS seems less useful. 

Skip

• Like 1

Skip,

When I installed mine in my F model, there isn't an option for CWS. The install kit is very nice but yes the trim switch included in the kit is less than impressive. It is a MS standard switch and just doesn't have a good feel. You might want to discuss that with your installed. I went ahead and installed it in mine since I don't have a lot of room with the vintage style yokes but I'd like to try and use a Cygnet style switch. 

If you have any questions on options or need any detail, feel free to send me a PM. 

OTTO T3 MINITURE TOGGLE SWITCHES UNSEALED 1/4-40 BUSHING | Aircraft Spruce

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 12:51 PM, PT20J said:

So, the question for those who have installed these is: How did you discover and review all the options and communicate your preferences to your installer?

The original question stands/applies even to those that have a G3X with a GFC 500 installed, and are still learning all the possible configurations that were installed.

On 4/4/2021 at 2:51 AM, PT20J said:

There are a lot of options when configuring the G3X/GFC 500. Many are only described in the Installation Manual which Garmin does not make generally available. You can get the Experimental Installation Manuals, but there are some differences between the experimental and certified versions.

Also, I notice in the Experimental Installation Manual that the GFC 500 can be configured for CWS. Has anyone done that?

Skip

The STC for your plane should have detailed installation drawings along with the specific system settings for your model (gain settings, ect...).  I've seen them for my plane but every installer should have it for your model.

58 minutes ago, Davidv said:

The STC for your plane should have detailed installation drawings along with the specific system settings for your model (gain settings, ect...).  I've seen them for my plane but every installer should have it for your model.

Now that I've determined that CWS isn't an option for the GFC 500, I'm more interested in the G3X options. For instance, there are multiple ways the flight timer can be configured. It would be nice if I had a table of all the options and could agree as part of the planning how I want it configured and I was curious if anyone had done that.

Skip