GFC 500 Servo Installation

PT20J

54 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

There’s one or two threads with installation pictures on MS.

Well maybe, but I looked at every MS GFC 500 thread Google could find before I posted this and didn’t see any. Maybe Google missed it.

Skip

2 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Know I have more but can't find them.  Is there anything specific you want to see?  Next time I have the inspection panel off I'll take more.  

IMG_9364.jpeg

IMG_7037.jpeg

IMG_7039.jpeg

Thanks. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular, I was just curious how they are installed relative to the KAP 150. 
Skip

Apparently...

With all the barcodes and part numbers....  

Big G forgot to make it plain and simple enough to the installer to not mix up...

Getting the hand written notes... Yaw, Roll, Pitch... :)

Great ideas from the field....

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Apparently...

With all the barcodes and part numbers....  

Big G forgot to make it plain and simple enough to the installer to not mix up...

Getting the hand written notes... Yaw, Roll, Pitch... :)

Great ideas from the field....

Best regards,

-a-

Actually the servos are all the same and are interchangeable.  

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm  hearing that shops that have done several can do the GFC 500 3-servo install in around 50 +/- hours, and another ten for the yaw servo.

I'm still pondering the yaw servo, since the whole job is $80K. Do those that have it in a M20J notice any big difference from the previous autopilot?

Skip

24 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I'm  hearing that shops that have done several can do the GFC 500 3-servo install in around 50 +/- hours, and another ten for the yaw servo.

I'm still pondering the yaw servo, since the whole job is $80K. Do those that have it in a M20J notice any big difference from the previous autopilot?

Skip

If you are regularly hitting Flight Levels then get the yaw servo.  If looking to draw the amu line somewhere, 86 yaw and just hold a little right rudder in climb out. GFC turns standard rate and I have noticed needs little to no rudder inputs outside of climb out. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 12:23 PM, ArtVandelay said:

Did you have the battery box removed is that a standard installation?

There isn't a battery box in the later Mooneys.  They use a different battery with a slightly heavier case.

ZuluZulu: Sorry for the misquote.