Rudder/Brake Pedal Usage for New Owner

I said "new owner", but I am nearing 200 hours in my 1980 M20J.  I'm 5' 10".  I have to have the seat pretty far forward when taxiing, but slide it back one notch before takeoff.  I still feel like I'm on the brakes a little.  Same way when landing.  When I try to use my toes only on the rudders, they begin to cramp up!  I know that sounds odd, but it seems that the pedals are too low to comfortably put my heels on the floor and use only my toes.  Is this just me?  Am I doing something wrong?  I take criticism well, so have at it! 

Yes...  this is just you...

All new Mooney pilots were issued long legs during transition training...

If you didn’t get the long legs... consider getting the pedal extensions...

:)

They come in two popular varieties...  1.5” and 3”...

They are simple pieces of hardware that get bolted in place behind the rudder pedals...

They can be purchased, they can be made...  there are plenty of details around here for both options...

In some cases... 

Extensions have been installed improperly, making hitting the brakes harder than expected a reality...

In the case where your leg length was already long before the Mooney purchase...  check to see if you have the extensions already...

A good leg length is around 32”...  shorter than 32” pedal extensions are often selected...

Longer than 32”... the seat gets moved back...

For fine adjustment...

People start selecting the flying footwear that they use... work boots, and heavy clod hoppers, will make it difficult to feel what is going on 32” away...

If using cowboy boots... consider removing the spurs prior to flight...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI... or mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

First thing to figure out is if your pedals have extensions. There are 1.5" extensions and 3" extensions. You should be able to operate the rudder with the ball of your foot on the pedal without actuating the brakes. With extensions, sometimes the pedals tip too far rearward. This can be adjusted by adjusting the master cylinder rods under the floorboards accessed by removing the left side exhaust cavity. There is a thread here somewhere with the details.

Skip

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

Anyone have a set of 3" extensions they want to part with? My M20K didn't come with Mooney legs.

These don’t come up for sale often...

Fortunately, they are not that hard to make...

A call to your favorite MSC could net a set...

If you don’t have a favorite MSC...  you can call Dan at Lasar... or check their website...

Or see if Grimmy the Reaper has any... @Alan Fox (rudder extension request)

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

Anyone have a set of 3" extensions they want to part with? My M20K didn't come with Mooney legs.

Well if you are not in a hurry. I will need to test fit (my legs) I allegedly have 3" extensions (according to the logbooks) and I am average height (~6'3") so I may not need them. I will get to crawling around on Monday since my Bravo is pretty much in a bunch of pieces at the moment with the interior refurb and avionics (they worked me over and added the GFC500 too) install. 

7 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

8 minutes ago, PilotX said:

Well if you are not in a hurry. I will need to test fit (my legs) I allegedly have 3" extensions (according to the logbooks) and I am average height (~6'3") so I may not need them. I will get to crawling around on Monday since my Bravo is pretty much in a bunch of pieces at the moment with the interior refurb and avionics (they worked me over and added the GFC500 too) install. 

You two should be able to make a deal. I'm only 5'10" and sold my 3" extensions years ago. At 6'3" you'll undoubtedly be much more comfortable without them.

• Like 1

I have the 3" extensions and am 6'2". I have the seat in the farthest back holes and it works just fine. I actually like being farther away from the panel and the yoke sits at just the right position for hand flying, with space in my lap for the kneeboard.

I thought about removing the extensions as Paul has noted, but after sitting in a similar Mooney without them, I am happy keeping them in.

I never have more than three in the plane so the seat behind me is always empty and legroom is not an issue in that seat. My seats are fixed and not articulating, not sure if that makes a difference.

iain

• Like 1