Opinions wanted! CGR-30 P & C versus EDM 900

On 4/4/2021 at 1:32 PM, Tim Jodice said:

What is the difference between firmware and software? Serious question I don't know. 

How do you like the PMA450A? If you have time could you take a full picture of it? I have never seen one installed. I have had intrest in one because it looks like a nice way to reduce panel clutter.

The PMA 450A has been great. Nice crisp clear audio and intercom.

1854236295_IMG_0551(2).thumb.JPG.f4a83cc7b1b9653231692a534959c030.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

On 4/4/2021 at 10:32 AM, Tim Jodice said:

What is the difference between firmware and software? Serious question I don't know. 

Typically the firmware unit specific  like a N number or Engine parameter(s) as such or to expand a capability of GPS or ADS-B unit . So say you sold Engine Monitor or ADS-B or GPS unit to another Mooney owner. The Mooney owner that you sold it to has different Prop operating limits or different tail number in ADS-B etc etc, more than like likely that is going to be a firmware update.

Depending on the vendor they may allow upgrade in the field or you may have to send back to manufacture for an upgrade. Whereas a terrain update or a nav data base (every 28 days for IFR) would be consider software update.

Edited by jamesm
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Stan said:

To answer where I have my EI 30P box placed: Above Pilots side rudder pedals.

509456605_EIBox.JPG.859c20d4bd15eb8665c5d47c8989c99e.JPG

Is it bolted to the firewall ? I thought the connector was supposed to point down but honestly have no idea why it would make a difference 
thanks for sharing 

4 hours ago, OR75 said:

Is it bolted to the firewall ? I thought the connector was supposed to point down but honestly have no idea why it would make a difference 
thanks for sharing 

To keep things from falling in...

A simple can of soda explosion or something similar...

Over the years we have seen a bunch of screws fall into places you wouldn’t expect them to be...

Plan for odd stuff to happen...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... 

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, OR75 said:

thanks for sharing 

I think you are correct but i did the install 4-5 years ago so I can't state that for sure.

I installed my box in co-pilots foot well behind the interior panel (carpet) on a flat sheet-metal bracket. Bracket is attached to the tubular structure - there were couple of 3/16 die. threads in the tubes (or gussets) that I used and on top we utilized the P-clamp or similar. Unfortunately i have no pictures of the installation.

Went with the MVP-50 since it is now STC approved for my C, removed all the antique gauges.   CGR is nice but need 2 units to comply as primary.  With Rebates, almost identical price with the JPI and more functionality.  Should be out of the shop next week, will post a picture.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, luv737s said:

Went with the MVP-50 since it is now STC approved for my C, removed all the antique gauges.   CGR is nice but need 2 units to comply as primary.  With Rebates, almost identical price with the JPI and more functionality.  Should be out of the shop next week, will post a picture.

If any tough questions arise during the install...

We have a really good EI insider....  @oregon87   :)

Best regards,

-a-