Gear Rigging

rc454

Note about step g. in the gear rigging procedure described in my service manual for the M20C (manual gear).  This is not from Mooney  - it is just a note I added to my own service manual to clarify the bad (incomplete) wording found there.

The purpose of step g. is to apply a preload to each of the three landing gear. The in the manual is confusing because it is incomplete. It should read as follows:

By turning tubes, shorten the nose gear retraction tubes 2 turns and lengthen the main gear retraction tubes 2 - 2 1/2 turns. Then tighten check nuts...

Explanation:

The retraction bars we are adjusting are identified as bars B-A for the nose gear and bars B-E for the mains. Since the nose gear is moved into the down position by pulling on the retraction bars B-A, shortening those bars increases the preload in the down/locked position. Conversely, since the main gears are moved into the down position by pushing on the retraction bars B-E, lengthening those bars increases the preload in the down/locked position.)

Edited by rc454
  • Like 1

Checking the pre-load is almost an art.  Have three different people check a pre-load and chances are you'll get three different readings on the mains (and the nose on the manual gear Mooneys).

"First movement" can be a very subjective criterion.

Always take several readings. 

I've found that an electronic torque wrench that records highest reading is better than the dial type torque wrench specified in the MM.

• Like 1