Well I just signed the intent to buy. I'll be minority shareholder with my credit union on the 1985 Rocket that was listed on All American Aircraft. :o:D

The pre-buy went well. Thanks to Chris @MIm20c and Paul @PJClark for their helpful input!

This plane has had one owner since the mid-90s. It's been well taken care of although the panel, interior and paint are dated. The engine and airframe are solid with no major issues.

First order of business when she's mine is to name her :D then install an engine monitor. The owner flew it for many hours using the Rocket Engineering suggested power settings.

I'm super excited to start my Mooney ownership journey for the 2nd time.

rocket1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Congrats Stetson!

You changed your funny avatar pic... :)

Got any training on the schedule?

Rockets are cool!

Best regards,

-a-

Yep, turned in the family truckster (National Lampoon's Vacation reference) for the mid-life crisis mobile! :D

I have a local CFI who has flown Mooney's scheduled in a couple weeks for some orientation flights. I am also going to buy Paul @PJClark lunch & pick his brain as he took a similar path- he took a solid but dated Rocket and modernized it.

I'm really excited to be flying a Mooney again!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stetson20 said:

I have a local CFI who has flown Mooney's scheduled in a couple weeks for some orientation flights.

Might be a good transition instructor, might not. How much has he flown Mooneys? 5 hours, probably not the best choice. 100 hours? Still probably not the best choice. But you have to make that call (you and your insurance company).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Might be a good transition instructor, might not. How much has he flown Mooneys? 5 hours, probably not the best choice. 100 hours? Still probably not the best choice. But you have to make that call (you and your insurance company).

Very good point. I've looked around for a CFI/II with Mooney Rocket experience- but haven't had a lot of luck. Any suggestions?

As an aside, he is the resident M20F CFI for the local flight school/flying club. They do have an older Mooney that they use for complex/high performance endorsements.

Stetson has some prior experience...

So getting additional value out of the transition training... it would be optimum to fly with a Rocket pilot...

Focus on the specifics of turbo ops, and getting to the FLs... high altitude cruise, and O2 systems....

Stetson, you are in Michigan?

We can invite @Yooper Rocketman to the conversation... Tom may have some suggestions...

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Stetson has some prior experience...

So getting additional value out of the transition training... it would be optimum to fly with a Rocket pilot...

Focus on the specifics of turbo ops, and getting to the FLs... high altitude cruise, and O2 systems....

Stetson, you are in Michigan?

We can invite @Yooper Rocketman to the conversation... Tom may have some suggestions...

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

Yes- now at Hastings 9D9. And what little M20E time I had, I've forgotten a lot of it. They say the memory is the 2nd thing to go. I can't remember the first. :D

I’m not a CFII, but have nearly 2000 hours of Rocket time.  I get to lower Michigan regularly so might be able to hook up if interested.  I’m pretty sure you’ll find few people out there with the combination of flight time and maintenance experience I have specific to the Rocket. 

Let me know. 

Tom

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I’m not a CFII, but have nearly 2000 hours of Rocket time.  I get to lower Michigan regularly so might be able to hook up if interested.  I’m pretty sure you’ll find few people out there with the combination of flight time and maintenance experience I have specific to the Rocket. 

Let me know. 

Tom

Tom, I'm at Hastings 9D9. Mark Anderson from the EAA speaks well of you and your beautiful airplanes (Rocket and Lancair). Whenever you get down this way, I'll buy you lunch and pick your brain on all things Rocket. My wife has an aunt in Escanaba so I'm sure we will be up your way soon. I'll make it a point to call on ya at IMT

-Roy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

In the past I have had an insurance company allow a non-CFI pilot do my transition training into an airplane I had no M&M time in. It was only a checkout, no formal hours required and I am a CFI so maybe those were the differences. And of course my broker its awesome. That may be worth investigating. Alternatively, fly with a CFI as required by insurance then really learn the airplane from Tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mooneyflyfast said:

If you are picking the plane up at All American there is an instructor at 1T7 named Brian Lloyd who flies a Rocket—-around the world in fact.

It's actually here in MI. The plane was in IN and the owner was nice enough to bring it here for the pre-buy.

19 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

If you are picking the plane up at All American there is an instructor at 1T7 named Brian Lloyd who flies a Rocket—-around the world in fact.

It was an M20K but not a Rocket, as I recall. He sold it recently, but still provides upset and transition training. He was my transition CFI for the Rocket I fly.

OP congrats! Definitely get that engine monitor, it will help make that engine last. Also, keep in mind that Rocket Engineering's "economy cruise" setting came before CSB09-11A, which specifies 2300 RPM minimum in cruise (http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/CSB09-11A.pdf). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, louisut said:

It was an M20K but not a Rocket, as I recall. He sold it recently, but still provides upset and transition training. He was my transition CFI for the Rocket I fly.

OP congrats! Definitely get that engine monitor, it will help make that engine last. Also, keep in mind that Rocket Engineering's "economy cruise" setting came before CSB09-11A, which specifies 2300 RPM minimum in cruise (http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/CSB09-11A.pdf). 

As I recall he used 2300 at cruise.. 

Just now, louisut said:

Good on you for remind him the AD vs the book economy cruise setting.  I generally no longer cruise at 2200 because of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...