KTOL to KPWK

Hi Guys,  sorry I have been absent for a little while! Did you miss me? 

Looking for some advice on a flight plan for next week. Leaving Toledo headed up to North Chicago (PWK or UGN). VFR if weather allows. Direct route takes me right over Lake Michigan.  

What would y'all do:

1. Direct?

2. Direct to Musky then V526 and turn into PWK when north of Chicago?

3. Follow the southern coast and come up the eastern shore below class B?

4. File IFR and let them tell me where to go?

5. V228 then turn into PWK

6. Something else?

I am not nervous about busy airspace and have life vests (and have escaped Alcatraz without a wetsuit :).  But I do have a newbie passenger with me. 

We are up and back for the day. 

Foreflight shows a route cleared today of:  KTOL MUDHN SMUUV FIYER OBK KPWK, 16k to FL 270, turboprob and jet

for UGN it's KTOL KGYY KUGN (avoids the overwater) 5k to 6k, piston

Personally I would fly around the lake. YMMV but I don't like cold water :D

PMc... where’ve ya bin....?

To support the conversation...  let’s look at the chart...

One thing I have done in the past...  was stop short of the lake at Gary, IN... got rental car, and drove into the city...

I think, many of us would maintain altitude to cross the lake... and use Midway... with trains available into the city...

Lets see what I missed, then we can adjust things...  I included a leg from Pell City...

Lets invite somebody from the neighborhood... to join the conversation... @exM20K

Just found out... @Stetson20 may have the experience we are looking for in this thread...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

7C1506A1-7B03-4893-807B-98568F8E4F3B.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, carusoam said:

PMc... where’ve ya bin....?

To support the conversation...  let’s look at the chart...

One thing I have done in the past...  was stop short of the lake at Gary, IN... got rental car, and drove into the city...

I think, many of us would maintain altitude to cross the lake... and use Midway... with trains available into the city...

Lets see what I missed, then we can adjust things...  I included a leg from Pell City...

Lets invite somebody from the neighborhood... to join the conversation... @exM20K

Just found out... @Stetson20 may have the experience we are looking for in this thread...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

7C1506A1-7B03-4893-807B-98568F8E4F3B.png

Got a rental car in Gary? Did you get the optional kevlar helmet and vest too? I felt safer in the green zone! :o Tho, admittedly, I didn't fly to/from GYY. I have family near there and it's a rough area. (Calumet City, Hammond)

Also, I flew in to and out of MDW with SWA. I've only been around the west side of Chicago Class B once- when taking my M20E from Poplar Grove back to central MI. And I went around the long way via Chicago Heights VOR, as I recall. Was awhile ago.

Foreflight has a handy feature- you plug in the starting airport and destination, and if there are any previous route clearances on file, it will show them to you.

Edited by Stetson20
clarification
  • Like 1

Some good advice here. I think if I was alone, I would fly along the coast one way and direct the other. The VFR route under class B does have a lot of pluses. Not sure it is any safer than direct (with altitude), but my passenger may feel safer seeing land and the sights should be nice on a nice day. Thanks Anthony for setting the stage, you are the best. 

Rent a car and drive - I thought this was an aviation group :) 

I will be flying into Toledo from F00 or TKI. Hope for some good weather next week! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I would at least consider going VFR, and use the VFR Flyway chart.  It keeps you close enough to the shore to be safe and will give a great view of the city for your passenger.

CC9889A0-B2CE-45AE-864B-E99576D744B8.jpeg

Anybody have an idea how to access this in ForeFlight? I'm still learning to use the app. 

3 hours ago, Stetson20 said:

Anybody have an idea how to access this in ForeFlight? I'm still learning to use the app. 

On my iPad, the upper left hand corner has a menu for map types. At bottom of the column is "U.S. VFR (flyway). Touch that selection and will superimpose of the VFR chart.

• Like 1

Little late to the party but everyone has already given good advice.  As exm20k said, VFR along the lakefront is good for the views and nerves should you be under the Bravo and the spinning thingy stops.  In fact, that’s what I’d do too, fly along from TOL towards GYY, and on flight following, tell Chicago approach you want the VFR lakefront to the north.  They will have you drop down under the Bravo but it’s a great view.  Pick up the ATIS for PWK Soldier Field, and plan your west turn there after you see the Baha’i Temple.  Or, you can just pick up the 120 radial off the OBK VOR if you want when you are on the lakefront and that’s another decent location to turn.  

• Like 3

I try and avoid flying over Lake Michigan if possible.  That water is COLD this time of year.  Your survival without an immersion suit is less than 5 minutes.  You'll go hypothermic before that.  If you want to go over go as high as you humanly can, try and keep in gliding range of shore.  Me, I do the lake shore flight.  Puts a corner in it, but the views are spectacular.

• Like 1

While flying to Chicago on Friday, I was seated next to a private jet pilot who was based in Chicago. I told him I have flown into Chicago about 6 times. 5 times into Midway and once into Palwaulkie. I said that they always vector me over the middle of Lake Michigan.  He said they they do the same to him every time. He hasn’t found a routing that keeps them from vectoring him over the lake. So, the airliner we were in ends up over the middle of the lake. He said not to tell who he works for, but I really want to.

I’m glad you enjoyed that route.  It really is a beautiful trip up the skyline.  At first I looked at the pick of your plane on the ramp and I couldn’t recognize any of those hangars as being PWK.  Then I realized you flew to Waukegan instead.  I assume you had flight following or filed IFR?  What did you think of Approach when you were along the lakefront?  They are usually pretty good. 

7 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

I’m glad you enjoyed that route.  It really is a beautiful trip up the skyline.  At first I looked at the pick of your plane on the ramp and I couldn’t recognize any of those hangars as being PWK.  Then I realized you flew to Waukegan instead.  I assume you had flight following or filed IFR?  What did you think of Approach when you were along the lakefront?  They are usually pretty good. 

Yes, we went into Waukegan. The fuel and fees were much less than PWK. And the meeting location was equidistant. Chicago approach was great and the vfr route was easy to negotiate. Less complicated and busy than Charlotte or Atlanta airspace.