GFC500 and possible G3X install

Who would you recommend? I’m located in Texas but would travel. At a minimum I’m looking to install a GFC500 and whatever needs to drive it. I’ve got a GTN650 so that’s a start.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey - take a look at my post. PM if you want any info. Mine was an Ovation, but it may get you started. 

One thing to note - the internal g3x nav is not suitable for any serious navigation. So, you need 2 nav sources for any serious IFR. 

• Like 2

https://advancedaerotech.com

These guys in Greeley, CO have done the GFC500 on a few Mooneys and seem to have the best rates. I'm hearing $17,000 out the door for the GFC500 and the G5 to drive it. @Warren and @PJClark are a couple of references. I know of a couple of others as well.

If you came to Colorado, I might be able to help with transportation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

https://advancedaerotech.com

These guys in Greeley, CO have done the GFC500 on a few Mooneys and seem to have the best rates. I'm hearing $17,000 out the door for the GFC500 and the G5 to drive it. @Warren and @PJClark are a couple of references. I know of a couple of others as well.

If you came to Colorado, I might be able to help with transportation.

Wow. $17k ? If this is the case sounds like a heck of a deal. I am quoted and scheduled my GFC500 install at $19500. 

11 minutes ago, icurnmedic said:

Wow. $17k ? If this is the case sounds like a heck of a deal. I am quoted and scheduled my GFC500 install at $19500. 

I try to follow what people are spending around the country for this. This is the cheapest I've seen for actual installs done.

Hi!  We could surely do it, but PA is a looooong way from TX. You want to find a good shop close to home base that will give you good support too.

Definitely a long way away, but it’s a Mooney. What’s the best way to get in touch with you to talk?

I am also looking for a GFC500 install in the midwest, since Jan i was on a waiting list,  then for the last 3 weeks my plane sat at a what was at one time a respectable avionics shop, they never ordered anything, just gave me a lot of lip service. Lots of lies and confusing statements, from the bosses daughter.  Picked up the plane yesterday. 

18 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Be careful with quotes, they can be 2,3,4 servos....sometimes with G5, sometimes not, sometimes tax is extra, etc.

This is true.  I can honestly state that we can install a GFC500 and a G5 in the low $16k range.  Of course, if you want it interfaced to a GPS, you want a temp probe for TAS, oh... you want a pitch trim servo?  Add several thousand more.  PA is no tax on aircraft work fortunately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N9405V said:

Definitely a long way away, but it’s a Mooney. What’s the best way to get in touch with you to talk?

We are closed tomorrow for Good Friday, you can call me at the office M-F 484-718-3136, ask for Dan tell them you’re the Texan calling from Mooneyspace :)  you can also shoot me a PM here if you have specific questions.  I own the company, and I am a pilot, so I use the equipment, but I have managers that build the quotes and handle the really technical questions!

• Like 1

Here’s a stupid question about the GFC500 installs on vintage airplanes...

if you get the pitch trim servo and/or yaw damper, must you also wire an electric pitch and/or yaw trim switch?  Or can you just manually turn the pitch trim when you’re hand flying?

I wouldn’t want the expense or trouble of trying to wire electric trim for my hand flying, but the pitch trim is very nice when George is flying.

44 minutes ago, Rmag said:

This is true.  I can honestly state that we can install a GFC500 and a G5 in the low $16k range.  Of course, if you want it interfaced to a GPS, you want a temp probe for TAS, oh... you want a pitch trim servo?  Add several thousand more.  PA is no tax on aircraft work fortunately.

I don't see how you can make any money.  From several bids I got before I installed my GFC 500, the parts alone for a 4 servo system including adding the G5 came to $16,000.

13 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Here’s a stupid question about the GFC500 installs on vintage airplanes...

if you get the pitch trim servo and/or yaw damper, must you also wire an electric pitch and/or yaw trim switch?  Or can you just manually turn the pitch trim when you’re hand flying?

I wouldn’t want the expense or trouble of trying to wire electric trim for my hand flying, but the pitch trim is very nice when George is flying.

A trim switch (also used for manual trimming when the AP is not engaged) is added on the yoke and the Y/D is engaged on the GMC 507 Mode Controller and disengaged on GMC 507 or AP disengaged switch on the yoke..

19 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Be careful with quotes, they can be 2,3,4 servos....sometimes with G5, sometimes not, sometimes tax is extra, etc.

You are quite correct. The $17,000 I've seen here in Colorado is not a quote but what was actually paid. It was a 3 servo (no yaw damper) with G5, and interfaced to a GNS430W. I've seen it flying as well and it's really nice.

27 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I don't see how you can make any money.  From several bids I got before I installed my GFC 500, the parts alone for a 4 servo system including adding the G5 came to $16,000.

I couldn’t make money on a 4 servo system at that price.  I was just saying a basic GFC500 (2 servos and a G5 only) could be done at that pricing. It’s not realistic though as most people get the pitch trim servo and the GPS interface. 

6 hours ago, donkaye said:

A trim switch (also used for manual trimming when the AP is not engaged) is added on the yoke...

Yeah, that's a problem. There is no (obvious/easy) way to add it. I have the original yokes. <_<

• Like 1

My actual cost at AATG, parts, installed, flown away complete:

G3X touch 10.6" $13,500

GFC500 2 axis $10,742

Pitch trim installed: $3011

G5 backup installed: $3253

Total $30,496

Reading it right off the quote and I paid not a dime more.  Not shown above was a GTN750, GTX345R, EDM900 Primary, all installed at the same time.  Paid exactly the quoted price for all. 

IMG_20210221_135103982.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, PJClark said:

My actual cost at AATG, parts, installed, flown away complete:

G3X touch 10.6" $13,500

GFC500 2 axis $10,742

Pitch trim installed: $3011

G5 backup installed: $3253

Total $30,496

Reading it right off the quote and I paid not a dime more.  Not shown above was a GTN750, GTX345R, EDM900 Primary, all installed at the same time.  Paid exactly the quoted price for all. 

IMG_20210221_135103982.jpg

Paul, what did you pay for a new panel? I’m being quoted $6K here in TX. Don’t know if that’s reasonable or not.