Ok, what airplane WOULD you trade your Mooney for?

201er

37 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Eclipse 550.  Two engines. 40,000 ft ceiling.  Only thing missing is the auto land feature. I am getting old and need something to save my girl just in case.  

Never flown eclipse but the Cessna 525 is so smooth and easy to fly.  Id trade for that. 

On 3/31/2021 at 5:08 PM, 201er said:

Ok, so we learned that the vast majority of Mooney owners find the Cirrus nauseating and would sooner be caught riding a scooter than downgrade to that plastic toy.

So instead of a poll, here's a write in. What airplane WOULD you trade your Mooney for? Again, you're not getting any more or less out of the equity, you have to foot all the operating and future costs. Is there an airplane that you'd rather have than a Mooney but only the acquisition cost is holding you back? And if not, is there a Mooney model you'd trade for today and take on all operating costs for?

No photo description available.

Edited by hobbit64

Some guy showed up in a pristine Beech 18 this weekend.  It was beautiful!  Gorgeous chromed big radial Pratt and Whitneys.  The fuel depot is right across from my hangar.  He took a big ol slurp out of the fuel station.  I thought he was sporting a bit of a Howard hughs look.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Some guy showed up in a pristine Beech 18 this weekend.  It was beautiful!  Gorgeous chromed big radial Pratt and Whitneys.  The fuel depot is right across from my hangar.  He took a big ol slurp out of the fuel station.  I thought he was sporting a bit of a Howard hughs look.

OH so stylish!

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

• Like 3

so if we're talking ANY plane,

1.  Diamond DA62 ( seriously, first spare million i get, this babies mine )

2.  AEROCOMMANDER 1000

3. MU2

4. PIAGGIO

5.  My M20E  with the Diamond Diesel  8) 

6.  finally, old school bubble nose Apache, with a modern panel. do they come TN?

Edited by McMooney

Lots of things.

My Mooney is great! Its also old. And the engine/prop are approaching TBO. I am not a part of a cult, sorry...

Minding my operating budget:

Super Decathlon (new), Citabria (new), Cirrus (new), Bonanza newer and/or updated with new engine, RV-10..

Fantasy land where operating cost is no concern:

Add King Air, PC12, TBM to the list

On 4/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, McMooney said:

so if we're talking ANY plane,

1.  Diamond DA62 ( seriously, first spare million i get, this babies mine )

2.  AEROCOMMANDER 1000

3. MU2

4. PIAGGIO

5.  My M20E  with the Diamond Diesel  8) 

6.  finally, old school bubble nose Apache, with a modern panel. do they come TN?

Forgot to add the CESSNA 337, love these

16 minutes ago, McMooney said:

Forgot to add the CESSNA 337, love these

The Cessna337 is a really cool airplane.  I wish they still made them or at least made them for longer so that they would have continued to evolve.

Another neat concept in twins is a pusher where the props are so close that there is almost no adverse yaw if there is an engine out.  Like the twin cozy.  http://v2.ez.org/roughriver2002.htm

• 3 months later...

Maybe I had an extra glass of wine last night, but I looked deep into the DA62. If it lives up to the marketing it is a heck of a plane. Mooney speed with mooney efficiency running on Jet fuel with 7 seats. Lately, I have been dreaming of a TBM but the new ones are stupid expensive and the old ones are limited. Now the DA62 may be my new dream. Anyone have real world experience with one?