Ok, what airplane WOULD you trade your Mooney for?

201er

4 hours ago, jlunseth said:

The PC12 I get, that would be a great upgrade. But having watched a few other pilots go through engines I am not sure an A36TN would be a good choice. The specs are good on paper, don't get me wrong, but it is quite important to me that the aircraft stays in the air. 

I've never heard that to be the case. The engine isnt really different compared to my 550G. I believe the induction system is slightly different. And obviously the TN. But from what the owners say on beechtalk, it seems like a fantastic setup.

What makes it less reliable than an acclaim? If anything, the engine gets less boost. 

Edited by Niko182

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I've never heard that to be the case. The engine isnt really different compared to my 550G. I believe the induction system is slightly different. And obviously the TN. But from what the owners say on beechtalk, it seems like a fantastic setup.

What makes it less reliable than an acclaim? If anything, the engine gets less boost. 

Isn't the achilles heal that there is but one high pressure fuel pump? Lose that and you're on the ground.

-Robert

Diamond DA62
With the long term availability of avgas in question and the inevitable sky high price of avgas assuming it remains available. The Diamond burns jetA and is sharp looking both in and out. jetA should be around for a while yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JWJR said:

Diamond DA62
With the long term availability of avgas in question and the inevitable sky high price of avgas assuming it remains available. The Diamond burns jetA and is sharp looking both in and out. jetA should be around for a while yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDK. Chicken Little has been crying about 100LL going away for more than 20 years.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

IDK. Chicken Little has been crying about 100LL going away for more than 20 years.

Closer to 40 or more, but I fear that maybe they have the impetus to get it done now, if they choose to, hopefully it will fall below the line

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Isn't the achilles heal that there is but one high pressure fuel pump? Lose that and you're on the ground.

-Robert

I seem to recall a case of a Caravan losing the high pressure pump on a DEA flight in South America. The plane went down, the pilot was executed and the DEA folks were held hostage in the woods. So any single engine with a PT-6 would not be my choice. :)

5 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I seem to recall a case of a Caravan losing the high pressure pump on a DEA flight in South America. The plane went down, the pilot was executed and the DEA folks were held hostage in the woods. So any single engine with a PT-6 would not be my choice. :)

I think we have a slight misunderstanding. A mean an A36 with the whirlwind 3 turbo normalization system. Not a turbine bonanza.

22 hours ago, Niko182 said:

For the a36, maintainance and gas is practically the same. An early light a36 is 170 knots on 13 gallons. Light im 180 knots at 13 gallons give or take. 

The PC12 is a dream. Thats not reality. Then again neither is an a36. I love my mooney, and its not worth switching out.

My TN A36 runs 180 ktas on 16.5 GPH at 12K ft MSL.  1350 lbs useful load with plenty of room in the back for my wife and girls to stretch out.  I've only owned the Bo for just under 2 years, but maintenance hasn't been significantly different.  I expect maintenance on the A36 to be higher than my old J, but just looking at systems, it should be higher.  Yes, fuel efficiency definitely favors the Mooney.  However, someone over at beechtalk said it- the best airplane for your mission is the one your wife likes... and my wife wanted something a little bigger.  C'est la vie...

4 hours ago, Niko182 said:

The Bo is a fantastic airplane.   Some of the criticisms are that it's a dog when it's hot and heavy- and it is.  However, power to weight of a 4000 lb A36 (300/4000=0.075)  still compares well to a 2900 lb J (200/2900=.069).  The J was also a dog taking off in the Texas heat, but at least now I have air conditioning :).  However, it's a great airplane once you build speed- just like the mid body Mooneys, except bigger :).

Just now, smccray said:

My TN A36 runs 180 ktas on 16.5 GPH at 12K ft MSL.  1350 lbs useful load with plenty of room in the back for my wife and girls to stretch out.  I've only owned the Bo for just under 2 years, but maintenance hasn't been significantly different.  I expect maintenance on the A36 to be higher than my old J, but just looking at systems, it should be higher.  Yes, fuel efficiency definitely favors the Mooney.  However, someone over at beechtalk said it- the best airplane for your mission is the one your wife likes... and my wife wanted something a little bigger.  C'est la vie...

The Bo is a fantastic airplane.   Some of the criticisms are that it's a dog when it's hot and heavy- and it is.  However, power to weight of a 4000 lb A36 (300/4000=0.075)  still compares well to a 2900 lb J (200/2900=.069).  The J was also a dog taking off in the Texas heat, but at least now I have air conditioning :).  However, it's a great airplane once you build speed- just like the mid body Mooneys, except bigger :).

Thats what ive heard from people with a tn36. Do you have a WW3 or WW2 setup?

Just now, Niko182 said:

Thats what ive heard from people with a tn36. Do you have a WW3 or WW2 setup?

WW3. I'll push as much fuel through the engine as I can, and if it's cold I've seen 17 GPH, but down here in TX I generally can't push the 17.5 GPH I've heard is possible.

There's a photo out there of of what I assume will be the WWII 4.  Nice to see ongoing support/development of the system.

I would trade for a Helio courrier HT295 Trigear, with long range tanks 120 gal. Flew them quit a bit along with H-295s , 395s  in the early 90s. Trigear keeps the insurance rates just a little lower. Really fun, a real 4 seater 6 seats possible, 1500 lb useful load, 130kts, TO and land under 500 ft. 

prop 40K and wait to be built, engine oh 40K. But damn they are fun 

On 3/31/2021 at 2:31 PM, McMooney said:

1.  Faster Mooney, have an E so it'd prob be a K or Ovation

2. diamond da50

3. cessna ttx/400/350

tricked out, speed modded cessna 177rg ( slight maybe )  love the doors and space

Great choices.  I'd add the F33 to the list and that's about it.  I'm satisfied with my Mooney decision though.  At the time it was either a 177 or a M20F (with J mods).  Wouldn't mind having a really new J or an Ovation. 

I did trade real-time. My F for a beautifully-restored '56 C-310. Loved the Mooney, but the 310 is such a nice ride. Burns 20gph for 180kts, so that makes it about 60% more in operating costs all-in. So far, it has been extremely mx free and easy to work on.
I also like not having to pick a place to die if the engine quits at night over inhospitable terrain.
I DO miss the Mooney in some ways and maybe will return when the need for more lift goes away.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 3/31/2021 at 6:24 PM, MIm20c said:

I agree about the 4pt.  However, I lost some of the desire after Yooper tore into his wing last year.  No way I could trust just anyone to complete a repair like that. I’d need to move up north next to Tom’s hangar to have an expert set of eyes on it...and it’s cold up there.  

Ah, that was just a whole lot of work for a little insequential noise.  :lol:

Tom

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 7:10 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I almost bought a Velocity before buying my 252. After flying in one, there's no way I could do it. There was just too much movement in the canard. In rough air, it was bouncing around. There's no way I could sit there and watch it move and be comfortable that it was going to stay attached. 

I am weird. Now that that is out, the fact that it bends is one of the things that is cool about it:).  A few years ago I was on a A330 and I thought it was so cool how much it bends from running down the runway to rotation. It looks like the wing tips are above the fuselage while in the air. Later on in the flight some turbulence makes the engines shake like a fat lady's butt going down stairs to the subway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Jodice said:

I thought it was so cool how much it bends from running down the runway to rotation. It looks like the wing tips are above the fuselage while in the air. Later on in the flight some turbulence makes the engines shake like a fat lady's butt going down stairs to the subway.

That creeps me out!  I shut the window shade....all I can think about is that aluminum has NO fatigue life limit :o