Ok, what airplane WOULD you trade your Mooney for?

201er

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I would trade my Mooney straight up for a Lancair 4PT or even just a 4P. I'd take on the operating expenses easily... except for the insurance. But then again, if I had no more money in the hull, because I'd traded for my Mooney, maybe I'd just skip the insurance.

If you're willing to wear oxygen (no pressurization and you can get insurance for it), here ya go:https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1641036-1995-LANCAIR-IV.html

What I did for real:

Sold my M20C to buy a Cirrus SR-22. The Cirrus was my second least favorite airplane and I sold it after four months to buy a M20M (KI).

Sold the M20M to buy a Seneca III. Sold the Seneca to buy a M20F (turbo).

Traded the M20F for a Colemill Baron.

Later I had a M20K that I sold to buy another B55 Baron (that's the one I should have kept).

Plus I've had another dozen or so airplanes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

If you're willing to wear oxygen (no pressurization and you can get insurance for it), here ya go:https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1641036-1995-LANCAIR-IV.html

It's tempting, and I don't mind wearing the O2. But without the pressurization, it's not enough of an upgrade over my 252/Encore. And my wife really hates wearing O2.

It's really only fair considering a Mooney swap with a piston single aircraft currently certified in the country where you live.  For US folks, that throws out Panthera, DA50, and all the experimental Lancairs etc. For me, that would really only leave a really nice A36 as a serious consideration at the moment. Diamond is probably the serious competitor next up to be certified in the US. When that happens, I'd find a DA50 RG w/ FIKI hard to pass up. 

Edited by DXB

Just now, DXB said:

It's really only fair considering a Mooney swap with a piston single aircraft currently certified in the country where you live.  For US folks, that throws out Panthera, DA50, and all the experimental Lancairs etc. For me, that would really only would leave a really nice A36 as a serious consideration at the moment. Diamond is probably the serious competitor next up to be certified in the US. When that happens, I'd find a DA50 RG w/ FIKI hard to pass up. 

I'll concede the country, but no need to be certified. Experimental's are common and readily available without having to build them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I would trade my Mooney straight up for a Lancair 4PT or even just a 4P. I'd take on the operating expenses easily... except for the insurance. But then again, if I had no more money in the hull, because I'd traded for my Mooney, maybe I'd just skip the insurance.

Here ya go. A 4P and the guy wants to trade :D

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=LANCAIR&model=IV-P&listing_id=2364778&s-type=aircraft

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I agree about the 4pt.  However, I lost some of the desire after Yooper tore into his wing last year.  No way I could trust just anyone to complete a repair like that. I’d need to move up north next to Tom’s hangar to have an expert set of eyes on it...and it’s cold up there.  

The really sensitive part...

Tom had the right bolt...

the bolt even matched the spec...

but the bolt was on the smaller end of the DIA spectrum...

Thus causing the looseness noticeable long after it was installed...

Thus the reason I really like my factory built, one of thousands... Mooney...

Sign me up for an Acclaim Ultra...

Fuzzy old memory, I wasn’t there... just read it around here...

if going kit build... start today...  I don’t think you can start a IVPT project anymore... Too late.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PT20J said:

Wow, look at that dorsal fin. There's a kludge if I've ever seen one!

I recall Bill Wheat talking about the Mooney twin.  He flew it and said it flew like a dream.  I would expect nothing less from a Mooney product though.

13 hours ago, Niko182 said:

A36TN or a PC12 if were talking anything.

The PC12 I get, that would be a great upgrade. But having watched a few other pilots go through engines I am not sure an A36TN would be a good choice. The specs are good on paper, don't get me wrong, but it is quite important to me that the aircraft stays in the air. 

I think the kicker for me in this poll is the you have to pay all the expenses part of the poll.  I really like the Piper M600.  But I don't want anything to do with the expenses of inspections and maintenance on a turbo prop.  So that wipes out all turbo props for me and really anything with a jet engine.  I have heard of the number of zeros needed on the check to maintain these things and just can't do it.  I have also seen first hand the fuel bill for a Premier Jet and that would wipe out any chance of flying again for months. :D

So I think I would stick with my beloved Mooney product and maybe move up to an Acclaim Ultra which to me are just awesome.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The airplane I'd REALLY like to have but is just a little bit out of reach is an MU-2.

The only MU-2 owner I personally know says he writes out  $75,000 check to get the annual started.  There's usually another check required at the end.  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is actually a question I’ve thought about a lot (as you can tell).

I love my Missile and plan to add to the fleet though a shared arrangement instead of trading it in.

I have access to late model Cirrus aircraft that seat 5 and are FIKI. So I could downsize to a two seat airplane like and RV-8 and take some cash out and operate it to my hearts content when it’s just me or one other on board which is 95% of flights. If I get access to and an typed in an SF50 or PC12 (insurance training) I’ll just keep my Mooney as my “RV8” and use those for family trips.

I can get a PA-46 for pressurization and the extra seats for the family - a true traveling machine next step up from the Mooney.

I can get an Aerostar. 

The RV-8 / late model Cirrus access would be the least expensive and maybe less expensive way to move forward.

The PA46 would cost more to operate.

The Aerostar would cost more to operate.

-Seth

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seth said:

This is actually a question I’ve thought about a lot (as you can tell).

I love my Missile and plan to add to the fleet though a shared arrangement instead of trading it in.

I have access to late model Cirrus aircraft that seat 5 and are FIKI. So I could downsize to a two seat airplane like and RV-8 and take some cash out and operate it to my hearts content when it’s just me or one other on board which is 95% of flights. If I get access to and an typed in an SF50 or PC12 (insurance training) I’ll just keep my Mooney as my “RV8” and use those for family trips.

I can get a PA-46 for pressurization and the extra seats for the family - a true traveling machine next step up from the Mooney.

I can get an Aerostar. 

The RV-8 / late model Cirrus access would be the least expensive and maybe less expensive way to move forward.

The PA46 would cost more to operate.

The Aerostar would cost more to operate.

-Seth

That's what I would do -  I don't believe in selling one airplane to buy a different airplane that might be reputed to be slightly less expensive and hoping to save some money.  It is one thing if starting from scratch and buying an airplane but if trading an airplane simply for the operating expense or the marginal gain in lowering the hull value - there is so much money involved in buying and selling airplanes and then bringing the new one up to snuff maintenance wise - my feeling is once you put years into improving your airplane, then just keep it.  Enjoy it.

• Like 2