Finishing an engine overhaul

I just finished  building an engine for mine.  I had an extra so time was not an issue.  I worked with the MX on teardown and to put it together.  All the specialized  critical tasks were sent out the shops that do that work, cylinders, cranks cases etc.

Can Bob fish the engine in his garage or yours's or a patio or carport?  That could be an option you don't need much space.  Heck you could do it in you living room if no one else in the house objects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

One time I started to add up receipts of expenditures on our C.   I pulled out that stack of papers and had an epiphany- why?   What good could come from this?   Would I do anything different?   It's not a revenue generating investment, it's a hobby.  An expensive hobby.  I agree with what @Hank wrote.  Nothing good can come from it.

Nothing personal, but I get irked when people call my plane a hobby. It is no more a hobby than my car is. I bought it for work transportation and over 90 % of my 6000 hours have been work related. I have had a plane so long it just seems like something I need to have. 

• Like 1

I think it stinks when the airport kicks out a tenant who has paid their bills and been there for years helping people out. I realize it upsets the legit maintenance operations, but how much work can he be stealing? From what I hear it is hard to book maintenance anyway. 

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I think it stinks when the airport kicks out a tenant who has paid their bills and been there for years helping people out. I realize it upsets the legit maintenance operations, but how much work can he be stealing? From what I hear it is hard to book maintenance anyway. 

It’s not that, a few years ago if you went to the airport in Enterprise Al. There were many hangers, but not one for rent. They were all rented out, but many didn’t have an airplane in them, boats were stored and there were several shops, a lawnmower repair shop and a cabinet maker comes to mind, but many were just storage.

‘I heard that they were going to kick out the non aircraft usage, but I don’t know if they did or not.

‘Once you don’t require actual aircraft storage, the hangers slowly become other things, largely due to cost. I paid $125 a month for my T hanger in Camila Ga, and it was brand new, I was it’s first tenant, I don’t know how it compared size wise, but I was able to put my Maule and my C-140 in there, the 140 isn’t as small as you might think, it has a 33’ wing span.

You just can’t get that kind of space in as nice a location with pavement and good drainage etc for that kind of money anywhere else, $125 a month with free electricity is awfully cheap, of course it’s not meant for much electricity to be used, not like a shop would of course.

6 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

It’s not that, a few years ago if you went to the airport in Enterprise Al. There were many hangers, but not one for rent. They were all rented out, but many didn’t have an airplane in them, boats were stored and there were several shops, a lawnmower repair shop and a cabinet maker comes to mind, but many were just storage.

‘I heard that they were going to kick out the non aircraft usage, but I don’t know if they did or not.

‘Once you don’t require actual aircraft storage, the hangers slowly become other things, largely due to cost. I paid $125 a month for my T hanger in Camila Ga, and it was brand new, I was it’s first tenant, I don’t know how it compared size wise, but I was able to put my Maule and my C-140 in there, the 140 isn’t as small as you might think, it has a 33’ wing span.

You just can’t get that kind of space in as nice a location with pavement and good drainage etc for that kind of money anywhere else, $125 a month with free electricity is awfully cheap, of course it’s not meant for much electricity to be used, not like a shop would of course.

So, our airport did the same thing, but they were more reasonable about it. They didn't want any non-aviation usage and no derelict aircraft. They wanted active aviation. If you were there every day doing aviation related stuff, they would find a way to make it legit. If the hangar door hadn't been opened for years, they wanted you gone even if you did pay the bills. If you had a hangar full of cars with a BD-5 kit sitting on the shelf, you were gone too.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

15 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I'm just getting mine back together. All I'm lacking is a manifold pressure line and a clamp for the air/oil separator. Should be here today. 

Rebuilding one of these engines is more a logistical challenge than the skill to assemble it. Even rebuilding it myself, it cost about $20K. That did include a propeller overhaul. I started this in September and have waiting for the brown truck every day. 

If you get the large diameter MP line, it probably already comes with the calibrated weep hole...

If it is a roll or 1/8” aluminum tubing, it may need a weep hole drilled into it...

This is a long way to say... the weep hole dimensions are around here somewhere...

Let me know if you have difficulty with weep hole dimensions...

Best regards,

-a-