WTB M20E Mooney

I am currently about 6 months from retirement.  I started flying in 1989 and owned an aircraft for several years.  I am looking to get back into flying, after about a 10 year dry spell,  and am looking for a M20E, or similar model in good condition.  I thought I would check here first.  Thank you 

There are two nice looking E-models for sale on controller.com and 4 available on trade-a-plane.com.  Two places to get you started.  You may also want to enquire with gmaxamericanaircraft.com and see what they may have.  Let them know what you are looking for and see what they can do for you.

• Like 1

@Steve P, where are you located?  Finding a plane that doesn't require cross country flights for the initial inspection, pre-buy and final delivery can be worth several AMUs.

I second the suggestion to consider the carbureted 'C'.  A lot of bang for the buck there.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

There are two nice looking E-models for sale on controller.com and 4 available on trade-a-plane.com.  Two places to get you started.  You may also want to enquire with gmaxamericanaircraft.com and see what they may have.  Let them know what you are looking for and see what they can do for you.

Today, I have sent several inquiries, but no responses on either yet.....

11 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

@Steve P, where are you located?  Finding a plane that doesn't require cross country flights for the initial inspection, pre-buy and final delivery can be worth several AMUs.

I second the suggestion to consider the carbureted 'C'.  A lot of bang for the buck there.

I am in Fort Collins, CO.   Thanks for the advice, I was under the assumption that the E model was the way to go...I will expand my search.  Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Would there be a pre-purchase checklist out there anywhere  for a Mooney M20C?

I am by no means an expert but when I had a prebuy done on my E it seemed the prebuy itself was mostly just going over the basics, checking for play in all the controls, checking basic operation of all avionics/equipment, engine run-up, removing some panels and checking for corrosion, and then mainly checking through all the logs and ensuring there are no discrepancies between what is actually on the plane, as well as checking that all ADs are complied with. We caught a number of little things that were not airworthiness issues. Most of the ADs on my plane that were due were a simple lube and check. We did not get into the more nitty-gritty stuff like compressions or gear swing checks until the annual, which was partially because I knew the shop that used to maintain it pretty well and they were very upfront/honest about the condition of the plane. Regardless, I think it is good practice to have a pre-buy and fresh annual done at a different shop. A fresh set of eyes might catch something a complacent set won't. You really can get as detailed as you want with a prebuy, assuming the mechanic is willing to play along. Best thing to do is find a mechanic that is well-versed in Mooney's and have him do it, or find a mechanic that you trust and have them go over it. The biggest thing to look out for airframe-wise (aside from the obvious like corrosion) is to see the last time the tanks were sealed. That will likely need to be done every 10-15 years and is around $7500.

One entry that you will not find obvious in the aircraft logbook is "location history". 

When you are looking at 40-60 year old aluminum, an aircraft which has been in a hangar all of its existence is far preferable to one which has been tied down outside.  An aircraft tied down at a coastal airport will not fare as well as an aircraft hangared in the arid SW. 

Moist air...bad.  Moist, salty air...very bad.  Fresh paint can cover up corrosion, but once corrosion starts, it is difficult to stop.  Don't be the guy who finds out his wing is junk on his first annual.