Thoughts on this panel setup for my 67F?

My 1967 M20F is due for some upgrades. The GNS530 still runs great and I don't want to touch it. The Narco 12D #2 radio is dead. The Dynon D1 backup AI is dead. The TC that drives the wing leveler has stuck a couple times with wings level. 

Here's what I'm thinking:

* Dual G5s to replace the AI and HSI. Remove Vacuum pump, TC and servos in wings for wing leveler. 

* GDL-50 or GDL-50R

* Garmin Aera 760 for weather, traffic and backup nav (my rocket included a 696 and I fucking love that thing. Unfortunately you can't get them new anymore and I don't trust used ones)

* GTR-225 with data link cable so I can directly update frequencies from the Aera 760. 

If the 530 fails and needs to be replaced, the upgrade path will be to replace it with a GNC355 and use that to drive a G3X 7" PFD and move one of the G5s as a backup for the PFD. In fact, unless I'm missing something, what advantage does a 750Xi offer over the 355 plus the G3X. Notwithstanding plug-and-play swapping with a 530W, it seems that if you have installation labor that the 355 combined with the G3X provides better value. 

Edited by FloridaMan

I've flown the plane for nearly a decade without much AP considering that wing leveler doesn't do much and I've only tested it a couple times to verify that it works. The reason for the path would be for the GFC-500 as a future install if I wanted it and to do it with the installed stack being "ready" to add in the autopilot. 

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

No AP going forward?  I’m not sure if you can remove the TC with dual G5’s. 

I agree, I think you’ll need the TC or an ADI even though you’ve got the 2xG5s.  
Otherwise, sounds awesome.  You gonna do a new panel and flush mount so it looks real nice?

With dual G5's you need to keep the other 4 gages to comply with the STC.

GI275's allow removal of the other gages.

If your path is ultimately G3X, you can backup with the G5 which will be lower cost than a GI 275 but either is allowed and both support the GFC 500.

Might want to upgrade the GTR to a GNC if you plan to fly IFR and want a nav backup for the primary GPS/NAV unit.

Random thoughts.

Good luck,

Warren

Just now, FloridaMan said:

If I can drive it with the 530, it looks like the G3X, maybe even the 10" can set me up for a "buy once, cry once" scenario that allows forward paths to other improvements. 

I would presume the non waas will work. I looked it up online and nothing says its not possible. I have the 10in and am personally a big fan. I would recommend it over the 7. 

20 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I would presume the non waas will work. I looked it up online and nothing says its not possible. I have the 10in and am personally a big fan. I would recommend it over the 7. 

Especially with the gdl50r feeding weather and traffic info to the big screen.

Looks like the g3x is compatible with lots of stuff. I think the txi is limited to waas only. 
In the list below the (w) is similar to the (es) for the transponders. Both the 330 and the 330es can be used. I’d imagine both the 530 and 530w are compatible. 

9F90A558-8878-410C-A473-8E6C0AE75936.jpeg

5 hours ago, Niko182 said:

If you go dual gi275s, 7 inch g3x and a g5 isnt a major difference in price.

I think that depends on what your panel looks like and how nice you want it to look after.  2xgi275s can slide into existing holes and look pretty good.  If you want a g3x and a g5 backup, I’m thinking you’re in for a new panel.