Is it a sin to buy a Cirrus?

NJMac

46 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There aren't a whole lot of $300k plane tire kickers, that make it past the qualification round... are there?

Best regards,

-a-

I dunno.  It feels like winter today so I was in my work carhartt covered in oil and grease stains and drove a 15 year old honda civic.  That and my age makes me wonder if they didn't take me seriously.  I definitely don't look like the Cirrus life ads they run. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Regarding the broker couple in OH, their behavior may be more an artifact of current market conditions than anything else.  When they sold for me (if it’s who I think you were dealing with) buyers were very carefully qualified as we had pegged the fully loaded cost of a demo flight at $1500 or so in new planes; those demo flights were half- or full-day affairs with a lot more than just flying.  Stuff is selling in hours or days now, so it’s a different process  now and probably a moment in time when it’s better to be a seller than a buyer.

It’s good you were able to fly the SR22.  I found it impossible to trim for hands-off cruise, but maybe it was something I was doing wrong or a mis-rigged plane.

Good luck with your purchase.

-Dan 

Thanks Dan.  Yes, she told me they've been selling 35 planes a month.  Do the math on that, at 4.4% their *special* copa member pricing. If not me, someone else will come thru, and probably a financing deal too so they'll likely make more if I don't buy it. 

Dressed in your best negotiations clothes...   :)

Sharp Sales guys are pretty hip to that as well...

The doc in my neighborhood had a Ford F-150, Levi’s jeans, and flannel shirt... proper attire for expensive boat negotiations...

One thing for sure... you can’t tell the book by the cover...

Lets look at the heat damage...

The parts can’t be too expensive to replace....

These were the ones that caught my eye the most...

The exterior fit and finish of the composite parts... isn’t something that could be avoided by putting a cover over it or parking indoors...  

Compare to others to see if they all look like that?

PP thoughts only, not a sales guy...
Best regards,

-a-

16A1024A-9134-4A3A-82E5-9FE5D6607EF1.jpeg

0873CB32-95BA-4747-9FBC-BF5B253BE658.jpeg

388B9919-3551-487C-8B31-6FDD275420D9.jpeg

E645FD0D-405D-4515-95F3-31DDC494E28E.jpeg

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, NJMac said:

This link should take you to the photos I tried to upload. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DW4sxUfXMkTCR3GNA

Now that I see the pictures, I'm surprised at how bad things look for a 300K + airplane. Even if I had the money, I would pass. I think the idea of a nice A36 is a good one for you to consider.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ChrisV said:

My plane is 42 years young and original interior.  It doesn't have issues like those pics.  Makes me feel good about Mooney Quality.

Same here, I'm at 41 years and I don't see issues like that.  Plane must have spent way too much time outside with too little upkeep.

I really can't believe how yucky that interior is.   How did that happen?  Was that poorly made fit and finish from the factory or was that a re-do interior that was poorly done?

I had my interior redone about 4 years ago, plastic parts by Jaeger himself, his "interiors" system which is just plastic parts but its simple and classy and fits well, and also the upholstery by SCS plus the rugs, and it looks really really nice.  Beautiful perforated leather, memory foam, lots of leather pouches. Plus yokes in leather by Hector.  I mean classy, good fit and I feel like I am in a nice machine.  Not some piece of junk.  I feel like I spoiled myself.  Which I did.  But heck, it was not horribly expensive.  Not at all.    I would say get a good A36 if that fits your needs and re-do the interior if it is not already gorgeous.  You deserve it!  Plus I will give you the coordinates of the best shop on the planet that did my paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

You deserve it!  Plus I will give you the coordinates of the best shop on the planet that did my paint.

Thanks Eric!

To add even more excitement to this whole shenanigans, my agent at BWI got back to me and said the most they can insure this year plane was $294,000.

Sounds like the market is overbidding planes just like they're overbidding houses right now. 

5 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Thanks Eric!

To add even more excitement to this whole shenanigans, my agent at BWI got back to me and said the most they can insure this year plane was $294,000.

Sounds like the market is overbidding planes just like they're overbidding houses right now. 

That is really really fantastic!  A TKS TN-A36 is a really heart thumping beautifully engineered best in class airplane.  I hope this works out for you!!!  If it does I hope to see that baby some day!

Cheers,
Erik

Back to how things are made...

1) When molding plastics...

2) A fare amount of care and planning have to go into how the parts will get used... what environment they will be in...

3) Forming plastics puts plenty of stress at the molecular level... the more they get stretched in the mold...

4) High quality materials can handle the time and temp in the molding process...

5) Long time and high temp, is good for relieving the stress...

6) In this case... the heat of the sun looks like it started to relax the stresses that were bound up in the pieces...

7) stress relief outside of the mold... has the polymer chains trying to relax back into the shapes they were in when they were born...

8) In Mooneys we sometimes see this with glare shields... where the plastic substructure starts to get all squiggly...

9) Mooney ABS plastic parts are much more temp resistant and fare pretty well over time...

PP thoughts only, not Paully Propilene...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some polymers get a lot of development over time...

Poly carbonate used to be only available in dark shades...

If you are going to have a bird strike on the nose... a good PC windshield might make an excellent improvement... impact strength of our PMMA windshields is terrible...

PP has seen plenty of development as well...

In thin wall molding... it can be pressed into the mold at low-ish pressures... and still maintain the strength required for finished products...

its most stunning improvement was for deep draw parts like slurpy cups...

The stretch ratio is over 10:1... using the thermoforming process... and the resistance to temps later in life are not bad... compared to PET...

Many car interior parts are molded out of color matched PP... they get a nice randomly bumpy surface for ease of cleaning, and hiding random scratches...

When it comes to plastics and planes... I’d like to see a polycarbonate window... to better keep birds on the outside...

PP thoughts only, not much of a plastics guy...

Best regards,

-a-

I emailed the broker no thanks on that Cirrus.

Going to fly down and look at this one this week.  1200 useful, supposedly $3900 buys an extra 400 useful thru osborne/now gami. Wife gave me heck about this not having tks.  I told her for the money, we could add it to the bo. 

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/203264605/1975-beechcraft-a36-bonanza-piston-single-aircraft

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NJMac said:

I emailed the broker no thanks on that Cirrus.

Going to fly down and look at this one this week.  1200 useful, supposedly $3900 buys an extra 400 useful thru osborne/now gami. Wife gave me heck about this not having tks.  I told her for the money, we could add it to the bo. 

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/203264605/1975-beechcraft-a36-bonanza-piston-single-aircraft

This one is turn key:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/202777135/1996-beechcraft-a36-bonanza-piston-single-aircraft

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Chris messaged that one to me earlier too.  It's more than I'd like to spend, the engine is nearing TBO, and the autopilot is older than me.  It's a great example but not for me. 

32 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Chris messaged that one to me earlier too.  It's more than I'd like to spend, the engine is nearing TBO, and the autopilot is older than me.  It's a great example but not for me. 

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/192415789/1981-beechcraft-a36-bonanza-turboprop-turboprop-aircraft

I emailed a salesman at CAV Ice this week regarding FIKI certification on A36 Bonanzas.

He stated that tip tanks, VGs, and TN mods all disqualify an airplane from FIKI certification. Just an FYI.

Bonanza prices are wild right now but there are some nice ones out there.

• Thanks 1

This one has a new tornado alley turbo.  My friend just got one and he does 200 knots TAS in the low teens on 18 GPH (I’ve seen it myself).  Yes, I know Mooney’s can do that too but not while hauling 1300 lbs.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/203015581/1990-beechcraft-a36-bonanza-piston-single-aircraft

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Davidv said:

This one has a new tornado alley turbo.  My friend just got one and he does 200 knots TAS in the low teens on 18 GPH (I’ve seen it myself).  Yes, I know Mooney’s can do that too but not while hauling 1300 lbs.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/203015581/1990-beechcraft-a36-bonanza-piston-single-aircraft

I've heard from many corners that the Tornado Alley setup runs absolutely fantastically lean of peak as well - at those speeds you quote.

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Business is good.  Not sure if it's that good though. One can dream. 

If I had 300k in my pocket - I think I would eye that turbine bonanza asking at 275.  I wonder if it is legit?

Anyway besides the turbine on the nose, its otherwise a bonanza - cost wise I mean.

Reliability wise - I would be happier driving a single engine turbine at night than a parachute airplane at night.