Is it a sin to buy a Cirrus?

NJMac

One of my aviation mentors is pushing me into a Cirrus.  He had 2 mooney's and then 2 Cirrus's.  Being a 5 min flight from Steel also helps with any mx and annuals.   One I'm looking at has TKS and 1080 useful.  It's a pretty compelling value proposition IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJMac said:

One of my aviation mentors is pushing me into a Cirrus.  He had 2 mooney's and then 2 Cirrus's.  Being a 5 min flight from Steel also helps with any mx and annuals.   One I'm looking at has TKS and 1080 useful.  It's a pretty compelling value proposition IMO.

Yes.

4 minutes ago, NJMac said:

And we will make fun of you.

Other than that.  It's a free country.

Who cares what we think anyway? 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

And we will make fun of you.

Other than that.  It's a free country.

Who cares what we think anyway? 

I really don't care.  But there's a lot of knowledge here and I was wondering if there is a valid reason to not to make the change 

• Like 1

YES! Even such thoughts are blasphemous.

Now, thou must seek forgiveness. Book of Laminar Flow, 3:35.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, NJMac said:

I really don't care.  But there's a lot of knowledge here and I was wondering if there is a valid reason to not to make the change 

Because Mooneys are better.

(But in all seriousness, the best airplane for you is the one that fits your mission that you can afford.  And having that parachute ain’t nothin.)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Honestly they are nice airplanes.  Many of us here would be flying a Cirrus if we liked it more than a Mooney.  That said, if Mooney we're off the table, then I might be flying a Beech product.  If not Beech....depending on mission - maybe a Cirrus.

You would need to find someone who has owned both a Cirrus and a Mooney who can talk about cost, but my perception is the Cirrus will cost a little bit more.

There are Mooneys that will beat that Cirrus for speed and useful load, but there are many that will not beat it on both counts.  Some Mooneys that will significantly beat it on speed but not useful load.

You get a parachute- which is quite a topic of discussion.

• Like 2

To me, they advertise a glam lifestyle that doesn't attract me, and they emphasize the chute over the airplane and it's flying characteristics. 

All the chatter about Cirri is takeoff, turn on auto pilot, watch a movie, and disconnect auto pilot on final to land. No thanks.

• Like 4

Seriously, the market confirms that the Plastic Fantastic must have some appeal, right? It’s like the whole F-150/Chevy/Ram debate...or the guys who hate 911s, Miatas or Corvettes. But the reality is they’re all good or they wouldn’t be around. So define your mission and fly what you like that fits it.

I know fellow J owners who’ve gone to experimentals, Beeches, Cessna twins, Meridian/TBM and even a CJ3 jet. The only unhappiness (assuming prepurchase due diligence is done) is when the flying days are over. Fly what you like!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

?? Do Cirruses fly on sound barrier shockwave???

Their marketing is addressed elsewhere, but to many of that cult’s adherents, it’s magic. And for when it stops, that’s why one needs the ‘chute. ‘Nuff said ‘bout that.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Fly one first.  Especially, be sure to hand fly.  Try to trim for an airspeed.

Please report back.

-dan

• Like 2

Just now, Hank said:

glam lifestyle

Honestly I don't get that vibe..

Many mooneys are fitted with autopilots, so you could do that "carefree flying" with a mooney with 50 yr-old brittain system,too.

The parachute can be a life saver if you're the only pilot onboard and get incapacitated. My previous work used to require me to drive to KY from MI. I asked them if I could fly instead. They replied that the corporate insurance said I could do that, if I had another pilot sitting in the right seat or if the plane had parachute. 

Honestly, I'm glad they're building new planes and that GA is not a dying sport in this "online" world, where we're better off uploading our consciousness to the cloud and killing our mortal bodies...

• Like 3

Cirrus has been number one is piston production and sales since 2013, with more than 8000 produces so far.  Aside from flying qualities one has to consider product support, Cirrus wins hands down between the two companies.

Clarence

Look around you...

Do you discern your own next steps...  select a goal, then determine the steps to achieve that goal, while seeking guidance..?

Or do you pick a really good mentor and follow them..?

For some people... they select speed, efficiency and safety, as they pick the color of their next Mooney... long wondering is that turbo, or is NA enough for me...

For some sheeple... they have to be followers, and be told they are doing the right thing...

NJ, I don’t have you pegged as a sheeple...

Select the airplane that best matches your lifestyle... not mine, Not your mentor’s, YOUR’s...

You can’t live life wondering... what would an MSer do right now...

You are fully capable of making these decisions... this is what makes you a great pilot...

Not all Ci pilots are sheeple...  but, sheeple sure are attracted to Ci...

Of all the accidents around here... The deadly ones would not have been prevented by having a Ci...

So...

Yes it is a sin to select a Ci... without deeply  knowing why.

Believe in yourself, as I do...

Know that a true mentor... doesn’t push...

The last guy that went through this struggle... was hoping to stir up a fire.  Hoping that the decision would be made easier...

It won’t get any easier that way...

Write two lists... Pro.  Con...

Reorganize those lists in order...

It may take days...

Have fun... publish your lists... they are yours...

You won’t be wrong...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

Beauty, sex appeal, desire, etc. is all in the eye of the beholder. And so damn the engineering and the numbers, retracts are exponentially sexier than fixed gear trikes. And so for my money, it's got to be a retract... or a tailwheel. 

The sexiest option of all is a retractable conventional gear airplane, i.e. P51 or Spitfire. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My father used to tell the story about his father. Seems my grandfather was rather well off and favored driving Packards. One day a neighbor was berating Packards to my grandfather who replied, "Then if I were you, I wouldn't purchase one."

I've flown a lot of different airplanes, and enjoyed most of them. For a while, I was commuting from the SF Bay area to LA in a SR-22. It's a good cruising machine, the two doors are what everybody should have done ages ago, and the cockpit is very comfortable. I really liked the Avidyne Integra (except that the whole avionics suite wasn't integrated very well which was Garmin's fault, not Avidyne's) -- it had everything you needed without diving through Garmin's menu system with everything including the kitchen sink thrown in. It was fun to fly and it was easy to land if you didn't come in too hot. The only thing I didn't like was that the aileron trim moved too fast because it uses the same servo as the autopilot which sets the requirement.

But, I bought a late model M20J. Why? The Mooney is more efficient. I'm a little 5'6" guy and I like the way I fit in and around it. I have a lot of experience with Lycoming engines and don't quite have the same fuzzy feeling about Continentals. And, if I ding it, a metal airplane is a lot easier to get fixed than a plastic one. And for my money, I got a late model M20J and would have had to buy an early model Cirrus and those had some bugs.

Skip

• Like 8

Frankly for me the parachute is the only thing that would tip the scales.  My wife would be willing to get in one.  I find the Cirrus almost unpleasant to hand fly.  That is a big detraction. They are nice in cruise though, and it's easy to find them with great avionics and autopilots.  For me they less comfortable than Mooneys, but they might be better  if you are tall.  That being said, if I had more money to spend on flying I'd buy one.     

• Like 1