Ovation 2 Tach Time

V1VRV2

In the arbitrary world of measuring engine time...

The clock on the back wall is probably listed in your POH as the official source...

Other places that may get used... G1000 systems... engine monitors... engine tachs...

Got a POH?

Are you not sure what the clock on the back wall is measuring?

Have two sources, trying to figure out which one to use?

Best regards,

-a-

I know what the meter on the back wall is measuring. It’s a Hobbs meter. Hobbs meters run when engine is running. I am inquiring if tach time is recorded somewhere. I have Moritz gauges. I’ve heard some Ovations record tach time. Don’t know if the O2’s with the Moritz do or not. Not spotted in the POH. I could be missing something.

That’s the only meter you have in the plane. IIRC it’s triggered by oil pressure so you are correct that it’s a hobbs meter. I wouldn’t worry about times in general. Our fleet is collecting so little hours in general and owners could disconnect that wire in less than a minute I strongly believe the smart/quality buyer will be looking at condition not hours.

Having said that if you are redoing your panel for a g500 install I strong advise you to dump the Moritz gauges before you cut a new panel.  They are not repairable and it’s not if but when they will fail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a couple of definitions of “time” in FAR Part 1:
229754031_ElectronicCodeofFederalRegulations(eCFR)2.thumb.png.bb032d8f141e5a141aef7ec42b51e450.png

554986013_ElectronicCodeofFederalRegulations(eCFR).thumb.png.5aef8a25f14f6558e0ca1c3b5d14df85.png

Note that neither are what we colloquially refer to as Hobbs time and Tach time. Your Hobbs meter may be closer to tach time than you think. On my M20J, it is powered by an output from the electronic tach and presumably only runs above some RPM. I’ve never found anything definitive about that. My older M20J had a mechanical tach calibrated for 2300 rpm, so at cruise, tach time actually accumulated faster than hobbs time.

Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm working through the details of my G3X installation planning and this thread caused me to think about this Hobbs meter. The G3X has an engine time recorder built it. Since my Hobbs is connected to the electronic tachometer which will no longer be installed, I'm not sure what to do with it.

I'm curious what others that have Garmin systems with EIS do with the old Hobbs meter: Remove it? Connect it something else? 

Skip

20 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I'm curious what others that have Garmin systems with EIS do with the old Hobbs meter: Remove it? Connect it something else? 

Its there but its not running or connected to anything.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Disconnected and left in place. Probably should replace it with a nice machined aluminum piece powered coated the same color as the panel. Might even look nice to silk screen a Mooney emblem on it as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s quite possible... We are yelling in agreement with each other...

1) Are we discussing Hobbs time... the kind found on a mechanical tach that is really counting revolutions... and expresses them in hours...? O2s don’t have mechanical tachs...

2) Are we looking at a clock that says Hobbs on it... a Brand Name...?  I’m pretty sure mine says Hobbs right on the face of it...  I know that isn’t technically Hobbs time, like a mechanical tach displays...

3) Or would we like to take a reference from an O’s POH... circa 1999?  They call it an hour meter... it’s what gets used to record maintenance hours for my ship...   it is mounted in the most ridiculous place for referencing during flight... :)

4) The POH section for the G1000 Ovation may have yet another reference for flight hours... I didn’t think to look it up... it will be in the same POH in a separate place...

5) Tach time / Hobbs time all went away in the digital evolution...  Even the O1s are mostly digital with analog appearing displays...  The clock on the back wall is amazingly analog looking, but would have been called a digital clock in the 70s...  :)

What people call hobbs time seems to vary depending on when they first saw a Hobbs meter.... and what year the meter was built...

Let me know if any of this was helpful...

Best regards,

-a-

1497DC25-F866-4C84-AB95-E3F318BB5957.jpeg

• Like 1

In the G5 and G6 Cirrus aircraft I fly for the 135 operator, the aircraft have a Hobbs and a Flight Time - Both look like side by side hobbs gauges. The Hobbs measures time the engine is on. The Flight Timer measures time the aircraft is flying. No tach, but actual time in air and time engine running. The Flight Time is the what maintenance revolves around, kind of like Tach time. Similar to Tach Time, depending on how much time is spent on the ground, there is a larger or smaller discrepancy between the two. Normally the Tach and always the Flight time are less than the Hobbs time.

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

That's it.  And when you get your EDM900, you have 10 hours to program in the number of hours and the "true" speed or it has to go back to JPI.  I didn't realize that, the shop forgot to do it, I flew 8.6 hours home and got lucky.  My timer in the baggage compartment stopped spinning when I got the EDM900 upgrade.  Not sure if that's how it is supposed to go or not but that's how mine got put in.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 2:29 PM, PT20J said:

I'm working through the details of my G3X installation planning and this thread caused me to think about this Hobbs meter. The G3X has an engine time recorder built it. Since my Hobbs is connected to the electronic tachometer which will no longer be installed, I'm not sure what to do with it.

Skip

Having thought further, I think I’ll keep the Hobbs meter and connect it to the second microswitch on the airspeed safety switch so it can record flight time for maintenance.

Skip

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Having thought further, I think I’ll keep the Hobbs meter and connect it to the second microswitch on the airspeed safety switch so it can record flight time for maintenance.

Skip

The G3X has both an engine time and you can set a flight time too. Both are simple to set.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

The G3X has both an engine time and you can set a flight time too. Both are simple to set.

Thanks. The G3X Pilot's Guide is totally unclear. I had to look in the Experimental Installation Manual to find how to configure it. I was confused because the picture in the Pilot's Guide shows engine hours less than flight hours, so I figured that flight hours must just be whenever the unit is powered. But according to the installation manual it can be configured to accumulate whenever the GPS altitude and airspeed indicate that the airplane is airborne.

Skip

On 3/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, PT20J said:

Skip

Removed and replaced with a blank piece. I could not accept an inop equipment in my plane !

• Like 2