Ovation Pre-Buy and Maintenance-Prone Areas

sbflyer

Hello, I flew a 1977 M20J for a couple years and now I'm interested in an Ovation less for the speed and more for the newer airframe and increased climb rate. There is one I've seen and will have inspected that does not have TKS or AC, which is fine with me because we're more interested in UL. This particular Ovation has about 2500 hours on the AF and a mid-time factory rebuilt 0-time IO-550G from 2013. We had issues with the fuel tanks in the 201 leaking constantly, but other than a fuel pump, nothing else. I became very familiar with the landing gear in the 201, so I know the donuts need replacing frequently. What are the areas to pay particular attention to on the O? Any surprises? Thanks in advance! 

Edited by sbflyer

welcome aboard sbf...

The newer airframes took into account the shortcomings of the older airframes...

Where there was corrosion... coatings became better...

Where there were leaks... the tank sealants got better, as did the processor applying them...

Where you really want to pay attention.... with the Long Bodies...

Finding one for sale! :)

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, sbflyer said:

Hello, I flew a 1977 M20J for a couple years and not I'm interested in an Ovation less for the speed and more for the newer airframe and increased climb rate. There is one I've seen and will have inspected that does not have TKS or AC, which is fine with me because we're more interested in UL. This particular Ovation has about 2500 hours on the AF and a mid-time factory rebuilt 0-time IO-550G from 2013. We had issues with the fuel tanks in the 201 leaking constantly, but other than a fuel pump, nothing else. I became very familiar with the landing gear in the 201, so I know the donuts need replacing frequently. What are the areas to pay particular attention to on the O? Any surprises? Thanks in advance! 

I would hope you'd be interested in an Ovation for more than just climb rate.  :-)

As far as areas for which to pay particular attention?  Everything really, but for starters, here are some critical things that would be on my short list of red flags regarding a purchase...

• Corrosion (other than surface/filiform-type) that would be difficult, expensive, and/or impossible to mitigate
  • Damage history of a major nature
  • Aircraft stored outdoors, unprotected, in harsh weather
  • Missing logbooks, or inconsistent logbooks
  • An aircraft that has been operated less than 75-100 hours per year on average (several grey areas within this one, however)

Granted, most everything can be mitigated for a price, but it all depends on the particular aircraft, who the seller is, and what they're asking vs. what the market can demand.  Everyone thinks their aircraft is worth more than fair market price.  It really depends upon what you and a seller can agree on when it comes to resolving issues that arise during PPI; and at the end of that process, agreeing on any deductions to be made for unresolved items...whose costs you'd have to bear.

Many owners I've experienced have been willing to work with a serious prospective buyer to resolve big ticket "red" items...and some have even gone beyond to ensure they're providing not only a good value for the dollar, but include a few nice-to-have extras beyond the airworthy stuff.  On another note, it's just as important for one to interview the seller just as much as their airplane.  You're essentially buying both.

Thanks @carusoam and @StevenL757. My previous 201 had major corrosion and that's why it's no longer airworthy. We will definitely be doing in intensive pre-buy inspection. I was hoping to know more about the long term gremlins or quirks that have popped up in the Ovations over time so we can be properly aware of them. I gather that the arm rests fail and that's an easy fix. Thankfully, this is a two-owner, hangared, all logbooks, no damage, regularly flown O. I'll be flying it next weekend after going to look at it last weekend. 

3 hours ago, sbflyer said:

Hello, I flew a 1977 M20J for a couple years and not I'm interested in an Ovation less for the speed and more for the newer airframe and increased climb rate. There is one I've seen and will have inspected that does not have TKS or AC, which is fine with me because we're more interested in UL. This particular Ovation has about 2500 hours on the AF and a mid-time factory rebuilt 0-time IO-550G from 2013. We had issues with the fuel tanks in the 201 leaking constantly, but other than a fuel pump, nothing else. I became very familiar with the landing gear in the 201, so I know the donuts need replacing frequently. What are the areas to pay particular attention to on the O? Any surprises? Thanks in advance! 

If you're interested in useful load, Screaming Eagle Is probably what you'd want to look for. As for things to keep an eye out for, The airframes are pretty similar. Donuts, Engine lord mounts, Leaking tanks, and corrosion are big things, but they are as well on a J. The IO550's are not as bulletproof as the 360s. Taking a look at the valves, and cylinders are thing to keep an eye out on the Big bore TCMs. A good chunk of them need tops about half way to 3/4's of TBO, however not all of them do.

Gear no-back spring... if it hasn’t been replaced it is a costly item to replace. Batteries that won’t pass a stress test. Oxygen bottle replacement if timed out. Auto pilot servo maintenance... ICA’s are often overlooked. This is applicable to all airframes not only the O.

what flysamo ^^ says above. 

While it is good to learn as much as you can about an airplane. Using an expert in the inspection is the smartest thing a buyer can do. 

there are several versions of Ovation by year. There were:

Two blade/280 HP - you won't like these for climb performance, but fast

Three blade/280 HP - standard from the factory

Three blade/310 HP - STC 

Around 2002 the panel was "lowered" but most people can't tell the difference and don't really care.

the DX versions had G1000s. The Early ones were non WAAS. Some had STEC 55x autopilots. These are expensive to upgrade. 

Don't pass up a look at the M20S - Eagle. There were only 63 built. These are economy models of the Ovation. There is one currently listed for sale in the MAPA Log. It seem attractively priced. 

Slight correction to the above. The DX was introduced in 2003 with a lower panel and a dual bus electric system. In 2005 the GX was introduced which included the g1000. The  “thin” two blade prop was standard on ovation 2’s 2000-2004 and was just as fast as the thin blade top prop. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sbflyer said:

Thanks for the responses. We put a deposit on a 95 Ovation and we're having it inspected by a Mooney Authorized Service Center here in So Cal.

Good luck getting through that important step sbf...

Welcome to the O Club!

:)

Got any transition training set up with that?

Best regards,

-a-

1 minute ago, sbflyer said:

Insurance is requiring 10 hours in the M20R but I have over 30 hours in an M20J. Hoping the pre-buy goes well on Wednesday! Just shuttled it to the inspection facility this morning.

Is 30 a typo? I think if you only have 30, it makes sense that theyre asking for 10 in a slightly different mooney. If its 300, your statement makes more sense.

TT training is a blast... especially when you come with a bunch of previous Mooney experience..

Wringing out all of that performance... just because...  :)

Power, speed, ascent, and most amazing... E-descents... with all the drag deployed...

You can be on the ground within a couple of minutes of declaring...

Things happen even faster in an O...  

Getting behind the plane can happen very easily...  departure, landing, and go-around...

For me, I went from 1khrs of M20C time to the 280hp M20R...

My transition flights also included delivering the plane from TX to NJ... included IMC, rain, and some ice on the leading edges...

Enjoy the experience!

Best regards,

-a-

Funny, my insurance only required 5 hours on transition training I was surprised it was that low. My instructor wasn’t even required to have long body time (all his time was in a J).

definitely couldn’t fly that thing after 5 hours though, got some much better training from another Mooniac with lots of Mooney experience of all lengths and got sorted out with him.

I have never flown a mid-body but seems like it’s pretty different.

I have done a few transitions and found insurance dual requirement to be all over the map, but typically around 10. That # has never affected my sign offs, one gets that when I am comfortable letting my most prized treasure, my wife Alice, fly with them. Competency is different than insurance currency and should by one's goal. On the otherhand, very few have not reached a level of safe competency within the underwriters framework spelled out to cover any losses. Mooneys are not hard to fly correctly but they are a numbers airplane...well they all are really, some just dont mind being horsed around like a $5 punta. Avoid being a member of the "me too" movement and get proper transition training from the get go, it is cheap in the long run and a lot of fun.

• Like 2