660117-000 A3B6 conversion bracket

Hi all.  In the middle of an engine install.  Lasar supplied bracket 660117-000 to rig the governor on my new 390 on my 1990 J.  Identical install to the 360-A3B6.  Lasar said to mount the bracket that the 10 o’clock position viewing if engine from the back. We had to notch the bracket slightly to get the governor to fit.   The 10 o’clock position makes sense, the oil filter cutout lines up nicely with the filter, BUT... the arm from the end of the governor cable will interfere with the removal of the oil filter.  Anyone have any photos of their install using this bracket, or a tip on what they did? TIA

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Just on the chance you haven’t seen this thread ...

I have, unfortunately it doesn't cover much on the different bracket.  Parts used on that thread are not available from Mooney.  

22 minutes ago, OR75 said:

Parts are being made by Mooney , I believe . You should try to get the right parts. There might be a lead time. 

this is the bracket modworks made for the conversion, so I wouldn't go as far as saying I have the wrong parts.  LASAR told me they were not available from Mooney.  Engine is hung already, and would not  be pleasant to change at this point.  

27 minutes ago, OR75 said:

these are the parts:

• 660017-003 Prop cable clamp half
  • 660017-005 Prop cable clamp half
  • 660235-001 prop cable bracket
  • 660235-003 governor bell-crank

those were the ones Dan at LASAR said weren't all available. at least not all of them.

22 minutes ago, OR75 said:

Not available off the shelves? Or Mooney would not make them ? 
I had to wait a few weeks for these parts when I ordered them, but Mooney made them 

I’m not sure, Dan didn’t specify.  As I said above, engines on, governor is rigged.  I don’t care for the fit with the oil filter.  Others have used this bracket with success, I’m just wanting to see their setup.  My IA is sharp, I’m sure he has something in mind.  If not, I’ll try again on the the other bracket.  I’m sure the angles from the prop governor cable are better with the other bracket are better, but we’re pretty late in the game on this install for that.  

I did a quick Google search and found a 660117-000 listed at Texas Air Salvage as a bracket from a 1969 M20G. That part number does not appear in the M20J IPC.

Dan sent me a list of parts for my A3B6 conversion which I didn't use because it differed from the IPC and the correct parts were available. I just looked at the list and I see that apparently Lasar uses the 660117-000 bracket. I have no idea why, but there must be some way to make it work.

Skip

13 hours ago, PT20J said:

I did a quick Google search and found a 660117-000 listed at Texas Air Salvage as a bracket from a 1969 M20G. That part number does not appear in the M20J IPC.

Dan sent me a list of parts for my A3B6 conversion which I didn't use because it differed from the IPC and the correct parts were available. I just looked at the list and I see that apparently Lasar uses the 660117-000 bracket. I have no idea why, but there must be some way to make it work.

Skip

yes, they claim they used it frequently, as did modworks.  perhaps it is just the way we have the clamps positioned.  I think the plan is to spin the clamps around 180 degrees so the shaft sits slightly lower.  it may clear the filter then.  It clears the filter by a decent amount now, I just have my doubts ill be able to remove the filter easily at oil change time.  

• Like 1

Any item in the accessories panel in a Mooney is a pain to get to .

the governor ever more a pain to get to as it is in the lower part 

Because of that , if I were you i would seriously consider asking to see what the lead time is to get the proper part 

once the install is complete, hopefully that’s for 10 years + 

3 minutes ago, OR75 said:

Because of that , if I were you i would seriously consider asking to see what the lead time is to get the proper part 

Oh, put the M20Turbos conversion on and come talk to me about 100 Lbs of stuff in a 5 Lb sack! 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OR75 said:

i called again this morning and asked again about lead time.  they are in stock now. my A&P seemed relieved.  bummer i have now bought two brackets, but it is what it is.  

• Like 2

$511 dollars later, plus overnight freight, new bracket is in.  Major bummer, had hours into making the other bracket fit like it should.  This solution is the right solution though.  Should have been this way from the start.  The plane is starting to take shape again.  Hopefully she runs end of
week.  Still have some stuff to do for the electronic ignition and finishing the actual install.  Thanks for those that replied.  

40176494-EE3A-49BC-BFC0-020B42C9C74F.jpeg

• Like 4

Great follow-up Brian!

When it’s all complete... take a final pic and post it...   

If there is anything not quite right... some Eagle Eyed MSer can possibly point it out....

MS, a community of helpful people....  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:06 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Wow, a 390. I always thought that was stuff of folklore here at MS. I can't wait to see the performance differences.

I had to take a time out.  I am about ready to lose my marbles, LOL.  The parts manual shows the bell crank on the governor arm rigged one way.  the 390 manual has it the opposite way.  then there is the whole issue on the wiring of the Bendix switch.  I confirmed this morning the right mag is live during cranking and not grounded out.  meaning i don't have the jumper on the back of the switch.  My a&p doesn't think it is a big deal, and its not called out in the install instructions, but I do believe the right mag should be grounded while cranking, so its not firing at 20 degrees before top dead center while cranking.  all the fun.  Maybe she flys next week. ill keep everyone updated on the performance when I actually get it flying. 

49 minutes ago, bmcconnaha said:

I had to take a time out.  I am about ready to lose my marbles, LOL.  The parts manual shows the bell crank on the governor arm rigged one way.  the 390 manual has it the opposite way.  then there is the whole issue on the wiring of the Bendix switch.  I confirmed this morning the right mag is live during cranking and not grounded out.  meaning i don't have the jumper on the back of the switch.  My a&p doesn't think it is a big deal, and its not called out in the install instructions, but I do believe the right mag should be grounded while cranking, so its not firing at 20 degrees before top dead center while cranking.  all the fun.  Maybe she flys next week. ill keep everyone updated on the performance when I actually get it flying. 

Does your right mag have an impulse coupler?   If so, it just needs the p-lead to be ungrounded, and the left grounded, during start.    I'm not sure I understood the issue correctly, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Does your right mag have an impulse coupler?   If so, it just needs the p-lead to be ungrounded, and the left grounded, during start.    I'm not sure I understood the issue correctly, though.

sorry, I said that backwards.  my right mag is non impulse coupled.  I believe we don't want the right mag firing at 20 degree timing while the mag on the left is firing at TDC during start.  from my understanding, it can cause a kickback.  

33 minutes ago, bmcconnaha said:

sorry, I said that backwards.  my right mag is non impulse coupled.  I believe we don't want the right mag firing at 20 degree timing while the mag on the left is firing at TDC during start.  from my understanding, it can cause a kickback.  

That's exactly right.   The non-starting mag should be grounded during start to prevent kickback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That jumper on the mag switch gets missed a lot on swaps from the dual mag A3B6D. The proper set up of the governor arm also confuses a lot of people until you realize that the screws on the back of the governor can be loosened and the whole assembly rotated to clock the arm correctly.

Skip

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PT20J said:

That jumper on the mag switch gets missed a lot on swaps from the dual mag A3B6D. The proper set up of the governor arm also confuses a lot of people until you realize that the screws on the back of the governor can be loosened and the whole assembly rotated to clock the arm correctly.

Skip

we have it clocked correctly.  its the bell crank bracket that has two different ways to attach it.  The STC instructions show one way, and the IPC shows another.