Assembled tri bike in an E

I think all it's all about your pain threshold!  For me, changing the position of the bars or the seat is something I don't want to mess with so I'm optimizing for ease-of-transport.  Getting this in there is really quite easy.  I grabbed a basic bike bag off Amazon and just lay it across the backseat.  I'd strap it in for actual flight.  Next time I'll probably drop the wheelset in the luggage area instead of this.

Yeah,

it fits but too much hassle fitting through the door and disassembly and assembly. ;)

Couple of summers ago I commuted for work to KMWH and used one of these to ride around over the week. Not bad for a flat and if you're not in a hurry. Easy fit through Mooney baggage hatch with it's 16" wheels.

image.png.a79edd78d9f4d5252f0bae90703959ab.png  

Edited by Igor_U
  • Like 2

If you remove or fold down the rear seat you should be able to fit two.  I have gone all over the west with bicycles in my E model.  I live in Denver, so  Moab, Custer, and the tetons are all doable for a day trip with a buddy.  Riding in cool places is one of the best perks about owning a plane.  Instead of a 100 dollar hamburger its a two hundred dollar ride:)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LOCOLJ said:

If you remove or fold down the rear seat you should be able to fit two.  I have gone all over the west with bicycles in my E model.  I live in Denver, so  Moab, Custer, and the tetons are all doable for a day trip with a buddy.  Riding in cool places is one of the best perks about owning a plane.  Instead of a 100 dollar hamburger its a two hundred dollar ride:)

You’ve got foldable seats in your E? That’s awesome!

Just now, Matt Ward said:

You’ve got foldable seats in your E? That’s awesome!

The rear seat back is attached with 4 bolts.  The two bottom ones are a little hard to get to.  Piperpainter had a nice write up of a fold down modification for a C several years ago.  I think it is still on here?  My previous owner had  done a modification similar to that.

• Like 1

Just now, LOCOLJ said:

The rear seat back is attached with 4 bolts.  The two bottom ones are a little hard to get to.  Piperpainter had a nice write up of a fold down modification for a C several years ago.  I think it is still on here?  My previous owner had  done a modification similar to that.

My back seats are individually fold-down-able from the factory. 1970 C.

Any idea when it started?

48 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Make sure you degrease it before you stuff it in there. A little chain grease will permanently stain your seats.

I got a (pair) of BBQ covers which are like a big bag that just goes over the whole bike easy and closes at the other end - keeps the airplane clean and the grease inside the bikes bag.

Taking pedals off makes it easier to slip into the airplane.

Wheels off - wheels into a special wheel bag also keeps things clean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOCOLJ said:

Was this the mod?

http://mooneyspace.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=34072

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Yeah,

it fits but too much hassle fitting through the door and disassembly and assembly. ;)

Couple of summers ago I commuted for work to KMWH and used one of these to ride around over the week. Not bad for a flat and if you're not in a hurry. Easy fit through Mooney baggage hatch with it's 16" wheels.

image.png.a79edd78d9f4d5252f0bae90703959ab.png  

We’ve got two of these- it’ll go right through the baggage door. Great for cruising, as long as it’s perfectly flat. They won’t climb a grade at all, though.

• 2 years later...

Revisiting this thread, as my wife and I have found a solution we’re very happy with. 

Believe it or not, the Bike Friday Family Tandem fits in the cargo area, through the cargo door, without messing with the rear seat back.  

For the most part the entire bike fits below the rear seat back, and if I disassembled it a bit further, it would be completely below the seat back.  Takes a 5mm and 6mm hex key to break down.  They make a folder as well, but I doubt it would fit through the cargo door.   

It’s so much smaller than 2 folding bikes we used to take, which required passing through the main door and folding the rear seat back down. 

They are a bit pricy new, but I grabbed this one on Craigslist for $600. 

We’ve got a pair of Pannier bags that convert to backpacks that fit it as well. 

Only two downsides is the assembly / disassembly process takes a few times to figure out, and it tends to draw a crowd when you pull a tandem through the cargo door. 

Mine has 48 speeds, and will both climb some pretty steep gravel grades loaded, and will cruise well too.  (8x2 with a 3 speed rear hub)

Thought some folks here might be interested.  As a matter of fact, we’re on Catalina island with it right now. 

IMG_3444.jpeg.a8858691900b26e3b612d5436b41d559.jpegIMG_8302.jpeg.0b2be486879194e26f10afd8f505a0e0.jpegIMG_3399.jpeg.ea167092a10f0459e209e7b2d7689eda.jpeg

Edited by m20j
  • Like 4