What do you know about jacks----?

Mooneymite

I have inherited a nice set of wing jacks, except they don't work.  The donor tried to improve their performance years ago, but now has no idea how the parts go back into the base.  So....give them to Gus.  He'll accept all junk.

This particular model is no longer supported by the vendor "The Jack House", though it looks identical to some of the jacks they now offer, it offered zero help.

Can anyone take a look at the picture and tell me which ball bearings go in what order?

Anyone know what # 'O' ring goes on the valve stem?

The owner before me filled them with 5605 brake fluid.  Did that ruin them?  Is 5605 appreciably different from jack oil?

Help most appreciated.  If anyone has a diagram, that would be fantastic.  My Google-foo hasn't turned up anything yet.

Next up:  For sale.....useless jack supports for non working wing jacks.

20210326_104240.jpg

20210326_131830.jpg

20210326_104232.jpg

Edited by Mooneymite

I can’t help you with the balls, but O-ring wise, get an O-ring kit from Amazon and use the one that fits.

‘Every aircraft jack I’ve ever seen uses 5606, which is basically just hydraulic oil, often “jack oil” is automatic transmission fluid, and I think that 5606 and ATF are pretty close to each other. Farm tractor hydraulic oil is often also the hydrostatic transmission oil, so it’s different, but I don’t know how, it’s oil colored and heavier viscosity than 5606, don’t have clue about it other than that though, I wouldn’t use it, I’d use 5606 myself.

‘The cylinders them selves most often have simply O-rings and wiper rings is all. 

‘I’d take one to a place that rebuilds construction equipment hydraulic cylinders, I bet they have the parts on hand.

Biggest thing that makes an aircraft jack, an aircraft jack in my opinion is the mechanical stop that’s often nothing more that a big nut so to speak that stops the jack from falling if the hydraulics give up. If those have such a device, then they may be worth fixing, if not, maybe not.

I think they will be an easy fix

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

If those have such a device, then they may be worth fixing, if not, maybe not.

I think they will be an easy fix

Yes, these jacks do have the stops on them.  I really hope I can get them fixed.  I'm glad to hear the 5605 is okay and I presume most any type of avaition O ring will work with 5605?

Now if I can just find out how the ball bearings go.

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Yes, these jacks do have the stops on them.  I really hope I can get them fixed.  I'm glad to hear the 5605 is okay and I presume most any type of avaition O ring will work with 5605?

I’ve not seen 5606 soften an O-ring, now over time it seems to, but that’s a longtime.

‘Having said that whatever rubber is used for auto brakes is not comparable with 5606, if your worried about that, get Viton O-rings, not much eats Viton and they are available. I think it’s overkill though

• Like 1

I know jack sh!t, despite the plethora of times I've been told that I don't . . . .

But to put together parts into a product with which I have only passing familiarity, I need to manipulate the parts, not just look at little bitty pictures on my phone. 

Sorry, Gus . . . .

Maybe the weather will clear up and I can pop over?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

I have 4 of the same jacks in my shop.  I can pull the valve to see what order the balls are stacked.  A MS28775 series O ring is compatible with Mil H 5606 hydraulic oil.  Search for an O ring sizing chart.

Clarence

42 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I have 4 of the same jacks in my shop.  I can pull the valve to see what order the balls are stacked.

Clarence

You would do that?  That would he "above and beyond" even for a Mooneyspacer!

Gus

Some MSers are really good that way... :)

Some people are motivated by a good lunch...

Others like a good mechanical challenge...

Solving problems by telephone... is so Pandemic Era...

You can never have too many mechanical engineers... I’ve heard.

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

20 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

You would do that?  That would he "above and beyond" even for a Mooneyspacer!

Gus

I took one apart this afternoon, it has only 2 check balls.  Smallest diameter went in first, largest diameter second, then the screw.  Each ball had a machined surface/ seat to sit against.

If you are able to clean the screw hole you may be able to see the seats.

Clarence

26 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I took one apart this afternoon, it has only 2 check balls.  Smallest diameter went in first, largest diameter second, then the screw.  Each ball had a machined surface/ seat to sit against.

Clarence

Thank you, thank you.

I wonder where the smallest ball goes.

Both of the jacks have 3 bearings...the largest has a machined face, as you say.

I'm waiting for some genuine jack oil, then I'll see what happens using just the two larger balls.

I guess that the good thing about taking on non-working jacks... I probably can't end up any worse than I started....

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 3:49 PM, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Thanks to @M20Doc, I got both jacks working after refilling with Jack oil instead of the brake fluid, cleaning out the gunk and bleeding the air.  They seem to work well despite the 20 year hiatus!

T20210430_103757.jpg

Edited by Mooneymite

Thank you, @carusoamfor taking the time to flip my posted pictures!  Some day you'll explain how to do this.  I can easily flip and turn .jpg's, but when I post, they always revert.  It seems to be an issue with Mooneyspace since I don't have the problem on other sites.

As to my floor, it was cheaper to make the floor all shiney than get my plane painted.  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Mooneymite changed the title to What do you know about jacks----?

What you are calling brake fluid is not brake fluid, it’s hydraulic oil, and is correct for jacks.

‘If what your calling jack oil is automotive jack oil like for a floor jack as a example, well that’s Automatic transmission fluid, which is also hydraulic oil, just not aircraft hydraulic oil, power steering oil is the same thing with a different label, Now is automotive jack oil, Ford or GM transmission oil, I have idea but suspect a jack doesn’t care.

Automotove brake fluid is different and is not comparable with the seals and O-rings used on other hydraulic systems even though of course it’s a hydraulic fluid itself.

I’m glad you got them working, but they had the correct fluid in them.