Experience with Coast Aircraft Maintenance at KMYF

mikefox

Nope, but I used Advanced Aircraft at MYF to replace my windshield about a year ago.  Busy shop with a good reputation; they do a lot of work on Mooneys.  I’m going to have them replace my gear pucks next.  My plan is to alternate between owner-assist annuals in my hangar and every other year have a competent shop do it (to mitigate risk of missing something important), which will likely be Advanced Aircraft.

Just now, BaldEagle said:

Nope, but I used Advanced Aircraft at MYF to replace my windshield about a year ago.  Busy shop with a good reputation; they do a lot of work on Mooneys.  I’m going to have them replace my gear pucks next.  My plan is to alternate between owner-assist annuals in my hangar and every other year have a competent shop do it (to mitigate risk of missing something important), which will likely be Advanced Aircraft.

You mind sharing how much it cost to replace the windshield. Mine is in a pretty hazy condition.

31 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

You mind sharing how much it cost to replace the windshield. Mine is in a pretty hazy condition.

I believe it was about 28 hours labor.  To their credit they said they hadn’t done one on a Mooney for a while and quoted high 20-something hours, so no nasty surprises when I picked it up.  LASAR, who does this all the time and have really got the work dialed in, quoted me only 16 hours, which is great if it wasn’t for the logistical challenges of trucking up there balancing work obligations.

Edit: I ordered the windshield directly from GLAP and had them ship directly to the shop so was only quoted labor.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, mikefox said:

Anyone have any recent PIREPs on Mooney maintenance at Coast?

Thanks in advance!

Did a fuel pressure transducer diagnose and replacement at CoastAir last week. They did a good job in finding the issue and replacing the part.

I just picked up a Bravo there last week and ferried it to Stockton for a pre-buy.  Since they had done the Annuals on it previously, they didn't want the conflict of interest.  They have a brand new facility.

I know @John B recently had good things to say about his experience with Coast. I went with Advanced aircraft this annual and was really happy with them. I’m planning to alternate with Coast every other annual in the future. Advanced aircraft works on a lot of Mooney’s even though they aren’t a MSC. Each shop has their strengths, Advanced is an owner operated shop and Coast has a more of a corporate feel. I didn’t go to Coast this time because they still seem very new to me and I haven’t been able to get to know them very well yet. With the few interactions in the past I haven’t talked to the same person twice but I’m sure that’s changed now that they are getting established. I do know Stan the mechanic is good and he worked/trained at Crownair, the previous MSC on field.

• Like 1

Never used Coast, but do have experience with CrownAir where during one of my annuals, they rammed something into my wing and bent the metal around the wing tip...denied it at first and said i flew it over like that and it must've happened in my hangar. I took a picture of my hangar which was completely empty.  Then i pushed one of their tool boxes up towards the wing and showed how it was amazing how the tool box had the exact same height as the wing.  Still didn't accept responsibility, but fixed it and repainted.  I'll probably go to Coast next time.