Ovation musings

Hilbilly

49 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

I like your point here. I know a new pilot eagerly shopping for a plane but he told me he can’t pull the trigger unless he feels like he got a great deal. Must have “saved money” on it, negotiated well, got excess value, etc. As a result he’s talking himself into taking on projects and explaining to me how just because an engine has only flown 100 hours 20 years after overhaul and sat in a barn for the last decade doesn’t *necessarily* mean it’s bad, and also he can get it for $X less! I told him I think you have the wrong goals: you should be looking for the right airplane, not the best “value.” Even if you pay top dollar doing that you’ll still feel like you saved money if it rewards you with years of reliable, mostly trouble-free service. But he still wants the best “deal.”

Your friend doesnt seem like a good match for aviation. Oh well. He'll learn the hard way.

• Like 2

@LANCECASPER  It sounds like you found a nice plane due to your diligence as a buyer.

However, in my opinion, the current conditions of the market make it tougher on the "prospecting" buyer. Furthermore, It seems like most of the airplanes I've visited were better in the pictures and on the spec sheets than in real life. With these two factors in mind, it didn't seem prudent to continue pursuing this plane.

I probably should have just left it at "this airplane isn't the one for me but it might be good for someone else". 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MediumSpeedAluminumTubing said:

@LANCECASPER  It sounds like you found a nice plane due to your diligence as a buyer.

However, in my opinion, the current conditions of the market make it tougher on the "prospecting" buyer. Furthermore, It seems like most of the airplanes I've visited were better in the pictures and on the spec sheets than in real life. With these two factors in mind, it didn't seem prudent to continue pursuing this plane.

I probably should have just left it at "this airplane isn't the one for me but it might be good for someone else". 

Yeah... it’s a sellers market right now, for sure...