Looking for a KFC200 trim servo

26 minutes ago, alextstone said:

I’ve got a trim servo from a KFC150 system...are they compatible?

I don't know - I will check - Thanks!

My guess is no since the FAA is so exacting in serial number matching etc.

Unless anyone else here knows?

The servos can be OH’d, unless something went really wrong...

Might get some insight from... @Jake@BevanAviation (just a guess...)

I think the KAP and the KFC may be using the same servos... because the KFC150 and KAP150 existed at the same time...

The KFC200 may be a complete different animal from a prior generation...

PP WAGs only... keeping the conversation going...

Best regards,

-a-

19 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

That 4 blade monster needs a gfc behind it :)

I was/am planning to do so probably in 2 years or so - so goes the plan.  If I have a hard time sorting this out...I may just do it now.  I have one more kid about to start at a very expensive college this fall before I was planning on that upgrade. 

I did just now upgrade to a dual GI275 but apparently that Digital system is more demanding on the servos - or maybe it was just time - but the trim servo failed at the final step.  I had all the other servos overhauled a few years ago but the trim servo is as original.

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The servos can be OH’d, unless something went really wrong...

Might get some insight from... @Jake@BevanAviation (just a guess...)

I think the KAP and the KFC may be using the same servos... because the KFC150 and KAP150 existed at the same time...

The KFC200 may be a complete different animal from a prior generation...

PP WAGs only... keeping the conversation going...

Best regards,

-a-

Apparently - not as easy to get an overhaul as I would have thought. First call to autopilot central - and they sold their equipment to that specific servo - and that shop doesn't do this one.  Too bad - autopilot central overhauled almost everything else for me from 10 through 6 or 7 years ago and they were a pleasure to work with.

So I haven't found an overhaul shop yet.

And it occurs to me that someone might have a well priced as removed trim servo for me from a recent upgrade I hope.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daytonabch04 said:

I had a KFC200 roll servo replaced at Thom Duncan Avionics/AutoPilot South in TN. 833-838-6226.  Not sure if it was a OH unit or a new one, but was out and replaced in a matter of days...no issues since and fixed right up. 

How long ago was that?

1 minute ago, daytonabch04 said:

August 2020.  Looking at my logs it was an overhaul exchange. 

Recently!

From a few calls already - I hear that the trim and roll servos are quite different in terms of the equipment they need. In any case I will definitely call.

• Like 1

Would need to know what series of servo it is 100 series (KS179) or 200 series (KS272).  The 200 are easier to repair as replacement parts are more available.  The 100 series have a different drive motor from Pittman and can be a pain when the motor is bad finding a place that can overhaul it.  I did find an authorize Pittman repair center that did a couple of motors for me about 2 years ago.  If you can provide the long part number I can do some digging and see what I come up with.

Edited by Jake@BevanAviation
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jake@BevanAviation said:

Would need to know what series of servo it is 100 series (KS179) or 200 series (KS272).  The 200 are easier to repair as replacement parts are more available.  The 100 series have a different drive motor from Pittman and can be a pain when the motor is bad finding a place that can overhaul it.  I did find an authorize Pittman repair center that did a couple of motors for me about 2 years ago.  If you can provide the long part number I can do some digging and see what I come up with.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for tuning in!  I have those serial numbers/part numbers.  I am going to switch to email for direct pm if that is ok please.

Erik

29 minutes ago, Jake@BevanAviation said:

Hi Ben, the email you have on this thread seems incomplete and the email bounced.  Well no reason to keep this stage pm - but it would be good if I could get your email for later stage please.

Its a trim servo from a KFC200 for my M20K.

The part number is:
ks-272 065-0029-29

I am told that it has an alternate part number
065-0061-29

6 minutes ago, Jake@BevanAviation said:

My email is Jake@bevanaviation.com  Based on the N# in your signature it looks like it should be a KS272 or KS272A PN 065-0029-28 or 065-0061-28 per the install manual.

Thanks for the email - switching over in a minute.

You saw what I just posted/ the PN read straight off the unit itself is ks-272 065-0029-29, or 065-0061-29.  

1 hour ago, hypertech said:

I have an entire KFC-225 in a box that I need to list for sale.  I'll look tonight and see if its the same part number.  No reasonable offer refused.  It needs to go.

Thanks!

My guess is I won't be able to take it - because it must be relevant - I have a  14V airplane so the more modern variants like your M20R must be 28V.  Are these things dual volt capable?

4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Thanks for the email - switching over in a minute.

You saw what I just posted/ the PN read straight off the unit itself is ks-272 065-0029-29, or 065-0061-29.  

Correction as Jake correctly pointed out and I found stamped on the unit - it is dash 28 as the ending.

• 6 months later...

@aviatoreb  Be sure that you DO CONFIRM the Part# with your avionics shop.  My guy told me stories of people coming in with the wrong servo installed and not discovered until it was pulled and on the bench.  At that point he said he can't legally put it back in the plane.

My guy is also a firm believer is spending a few bucks every so often (maybe 5+ years) to have the servos cleaned and checked.  With the part shortages and prices, he said you can get a LOT more life out of a servo if he has a little preventative maintenance and potentially save $$$$ for a rebuild.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, Navionpaul said:

I have a KS272 trim servo from a Mooney.  Operating when removed for upgrade.  It’s a dash 11.  Call if still looking, Paul 612-804-9792, $250 plus shipping.

Thanks Pete,  So I did find a shop that can overhaul my servos.  So I no longer need it.  I am almost tempted to buy just in case for next time. But on the other hand I am leaning to "next time" it all comes out and I go gfc500.