Significant Dents in Mooney Leading Edge

50 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Did you just use the hammer and dolly to hold it?   Works if accessible.  did you look up the NACA airfoil?

It was a ding near the wing tip. I took off the wingtip and used it for the pattern. I cut it with a scroll saw. It is Delrin. I clamped them together with a vice grip clamp. I then hit the creases with a flush set in my rivet gun. It took about 0.010” of Bondo to make it disappear. 

In case somebody wants to look up Delrin or acetal copolymers...   

https://www.dupont.com/products/delrin.html?src=om-gg_ti-delrin_delrin-acetal

Its a really nice polymer that holds its dimensions pretty well...  mostly known for those little rolls inside a cassette tape or VHS tape... dimensional stability is important for avoiding warbling sounds and fuzzy images as the linear speed of the tape would change based on the out-of-round challenges of the rolls...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

29 minutes ago, carusoam said:

In case somebody wants to look up Delrin or acetal copolymers...   

https://www.dupont.com/products/delrin.html?src=om-gg_ti-delrin_delrin-acetal

Its a really nice polymer that holds its dimensions pretty well...  mostly known for those little rolls inside a cassette tape or VHS tape... dimensional stability is important for avoiding warbling sounds and fuzzy images as the linear speed of the tape would change based on the out-of-round challenges of the rolls...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

It's also widely used as a solid replacement for suspension and subframe bushings in race cars.   Many rule sets do not allow solid metal (e.g., billet) bushing replacements so people get around that by using delrin, which is nearly as stiff as billet pieces and stiffer than polyurethane, which is the other common "performance" bushing replacement.

Definitely a good option for making a former for a leading edge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It's also widely used as a solid replacement for suspension and subframe bushings in race cars.   Many rule sets do not allow solid metal (e.g., billet) bushing replacements so people get around that by using delrin, which is nearly as stiff as billet pieces and stiffer than polyurethane, which is the other common "performance" bushing replacement.

Definitely a good option for making a former for a leading edge.

We use lots of black and white delrin at work making jigs, fixtures, etc. It machines well, holds dimensions and wears well.

Delrin is also popular for making knife handles, in black and brown varieties.

48 minutes ago, Hank said:

We use lots of black and white delrin at work making jigs, fixtures, etc. It machines well, holds dimensions and wears well.

Delrin is also popular for making knife handles, in black and brown varieties.

and replacement seat rollers in Mooney zoom planes

• Like 2
  • Haha 1