Significant Dents in Mooney Leading Edge

My father suddenly passed away in January and I have inherited his 67 M20C.

A few months before he passed away, when we didn't know that he was having health issues, he had a landing incident which left a dent on the inner wing (the skin that also covers the fuel tank) and one near the opposite wingtip (2nd skin from the end).  I hate to see a mooney die for these, but they are significant.  I don't believe the internal structure of the wing is compromised.  Does anyone have experience re-skinning a mooney wing?  Would I be better looking for a replacement wing?  The IAs I have asked about it aren't really giving me options, probably because they are very busy and this would seem to be a large project.

How do I say this, I think I would be fixing this plane up to sell.  I already have a Mooney and as much as I would love to be able to fly my whole family in 2 Mooneys in formation, I don't think that is currently in the cards. 

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cctsurf said:

My father suddenly passed away in January and I have inherited his 67 M20C.

A few months before he passed away, when we didn't know that he was having health issues, he had a landing incident which left a dent on the inner wing (the skin that also covers the fuel tank) and one near the opposite wingtip (2nd skin from the end).  I hate to see a mooney die for these, but they are significant.  I don't believe the internal structure of the wing is compromised.  Does anyone have experience re-skinning a mooney wing?  Would I be better looking for a replacement wing?  The IAs I have asked about it aren't really giving me options, probably because they are very busy and this would seem to be a large project.

How do I say this, I think I would be fixing this plane up to sell.  I already have a Mooney and as much as I would love to be able to fly my whole family in 2 Mooneys in formation, I don't think that is currently in the cards. 

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Do you have any pictures you can share? If you’d rather not post them on the internet, would you PM them to look at to offer an opinion on a repair? Condolences to you for your loss. 
Thanks,

David

Edited by Sabremech

2 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Do you have any pictures you can share?

Unfortunately, I don't.  I have only seen the plane once since the incident and didn't have the thought to take pictures.  I know there is creasing near the wingtip, I'm not sure on the inboard dent.

I don't know if Olsen is still in business, but years ago, he pulled a "significant dent" out of my wing.  Complete magic.  I haven't a clue how it works, but it works.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=ce235ce7-0f60-4556-8667-e6093987a349

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Leading edge dents are fixed all of the time, find someone who works on crop dusters, they are all the time denting their wings, birds, trees, even telephone poles on occasion, to say nothing of the occasional fence post.

Talk about a dream job.

Re-skinning is done all the time...

There is an MSer who recently did this for a plane he was flipping...

A wing rebuild was completed a few years ago for a Bravo that was discussed around here... it had hit a fence at near T/O speeds...

Today, somebody is swapping out a whole wing around here somewhere...

On the back burner... somebody was discussing rebuilding a wood wing...

A hands-off method of selling the plane... contact Jerry Pressley...  or Alan Fox...

Not everything Allen touches goes to the parts bin... :)

Lots of options...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 1967 427 said:

Talk about a dream job.

Fixing wings or flying Ag?

Ag is dirty and hours are insane, it’s usually hot and very, very soon the coolness of flying very low and yanking and banking wears off.

It very quickly becomes work

• Like 1

21 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Leading edge dents are fixed all of the time, find someone who works on crop dusters, they are all the time denting their wings, birds, trees, even telephone poles on occasion, to say nothing of the occasional fence post.

I became friends with a crop pilot in Missouri a couple years back when I unexpectedly ended up on his airstrip during an engine failure.  While I was waiting for the FSDO to show up (long story), we were chit-chatting about flying. I asked how high he flew when he was dusting and seeding crops - maybe 20-30'?

His answer stuck with me.

"20 feet?  Mate, that's up in the flight levels for us.  3 feet is more like it."

Yowzers.

• Haha 1

You might look into paint less dent removal guys in you area.  We had a pretty significant dent removed on a 210.  No longer visible and no damage to the paint.

Clarence

5 hours ago, hmasing said:

I became friends with a crop pilot in Missouri a couple years back when I unexpectedly ended up on his airstrip during an engine failure.  While I was waiting for the FSDO to show up (long story), we were chit-chatting about flying. I asked how high he flew when he was dusting and seeding crops - maybe 20-30'?

His answer stuck with me.

"20 feet?  Mate, that's up in the flight levels for us.  3 feet is more like it."

Yowzers.

Yep, I've seen them dragging tires through the crops, and after refilling they takeoff and make the turnout still in ground effect, flying between the trees rather than over them . . . .

13 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Fixing wings or flying Ag?

Ag is dirty and hours are insane, it’s usually hot and very, very soon the coolness of flying very low and yanking and banking wears off.

It very quickly becomes work

I have high school buddies who do that for a living- them that's still alive, that is.   Of five, two are dead and one should be.  The one who should be finished a pass and the morning sun glint of a nearby tower guy-wire made him think it was closer to him that it was.  He pulled back into a full stall, which ended in a pancake with the chemical tank crushing his lower legs. 

Also continuous exposure to herbicides and pesticides doesn't seem conducive to happy retirement even if you never crash.  Nothing about that job appeals to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

You might look into paint less dent removal guys in you area.  We had a pretty significant dent removed on a 210.  No longer visible and no damage to the paint.

Clarence

I suggested that and got jumped on for not being an approved method.   I had pretty good success with pulling hail dings out of the alum Subuie 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Yetti said:

I suggested that and got jumped on for not being an approved method.   I had pretty good success with pulling hail dings out of the alum Subuie 

Strange that someone would argue popping a dent out, yet be OK filling it with bonds and painting it.

Clarence

33 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Strange that someone would argue popping a dent out, yet be OK filling it with bonds and painting it.

Clarence

Sometimes the box is too big for some to think out of.... and that includes the FAA

• Like 1

I also pulled top of a rear fender out on my Dad's Explorer where he got too close to something.  About 4" worth of metal.   I would like to see pictures of the damage.  For the leading edge I would probably make a platform that matches the leading edge to put the puller on.   There is also a slide puller in the $70 kit I bought.   Funny thing is if you go too far you just tap it back down.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:20 PM, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I'd suggest this as well.   The talented guys can fix stuff like it never happened.

21 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You just need a leading edge re-former die.

Dont ask, but it looks brand new.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did you just use the hammer and dolly to hold it?   Works if accessible.  did you look up the NACA airfoil?

30 minutes ago, Yetti said:

If it looks like it came from the factory when finished can you be penalized for how you got there?

Exactly, it’s always nice when the IA asked “ what was wrong with it?” rather than “What the hell were you thinking?” :D

• Haha 1