Checking out Hanford Nuclear Site

xcrmckenna

That’s where we made all the plutonium for our atom bombs. The long buildings were called “canyons” that is where the plutonium was separated from the uranium using the PUREX process. The underground tanks they are digging up hold the liquid waste from the PUREX process. It is the worst liquid nuclear waste ever made and it has been in those concrete tanks since the 40s. The tanks are leaking and working it’s way towards the Colombia river. It is superfund site #1. The most toxic place on earth.

The working power plant is the Colombia Generating Station.      

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 2

That’s where we made all the plutonium for our atom bombs. The long buildings were called “canyons” that is where the plutonium was separated from the uranium using the PUREX process. The underground tanks they are digging up hold the liquid waste from the PUREX process. It is the worst liquid nuclear waste ever made and it has been in those concrete tanks since the 40s. The tanks are leaking and working it’s way towards the Colombia river. It is superfund site #1. The most toxic place on earth.
The working power plant is the Colombia Generating Station.      

It’s pretty crazy to think about the hazards that still exist. Thanks for the info, I’ve watched a few documentary’s on it and try to get in the tour list each year but it fills up to fast for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

It’s pretty crazy to think about the hazards that still exist. Thanks for the info, I’ve watched a few documentary’s on it and try to get in the tour list each year but it fills up to fast for me.

When I travel to Portland ( I may go on Monday ), one of my favorite watering holes has a couple who are always there. The wife grew up in Hanford. Her father was an Instrumentation engineer. He died young from leukemia. I’ve read extensively about what they did there. It was fascinating and OMG at the same time. The first reactor, the B reactor was made of Home Depot parts. They would continuously shove aluminum clad uranium slugs in the front of the reactor pushing the radiated ones  out the back where they would roll into a collection chute, then off to the PUREX canyons where they were dissolved in nitric acid and chemically separated.

They have tours of the B reactor. I wouldn’t spend too long in there...  

• Like 1

Nice work Charles...
spooky music to perfectly match the video!
Frame by frame, beat by beat! You rocked it!
Thanks for sharing the details...

Best regards,
-a-

Thank you! I feel like I stepped up my edit game on this video doing a much better job of matching the video to the music. I’m not very artistic so it took a lot longer to edit the video:) Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1