Baggage Area Light Switch Doesn't Turn Off

It is designed to stay on for about 5 to 7 minutes (what Mooney figured was enough time to unload the baggage area in low light), and then slowly fade to off.  If it isn't doing that, then something needs to be looked at.

On a related topic, Whelen has an LED version of that light which I added a couple of years ago.  Same footprint, extremely low draw, brighter than the original, and looks much nicer without the frosted glass.  Whelen part# 78013 70813@OSUAV8TER James on here can help you with an order if interested.  I remember this being *about* $250'ish all-in, but James can quote you.

https://flywat.com/collections/interior/products/7081307

image.png.bbe27c65ac42dd2b4d69c29647d3482b.png

Steve

• Like 2

Great to know thanks to both. I will look into the LED option in the future. For now I disconnected it so I don't risk into depleting the battery if someone clicks on it during the day without knowing. I don't fly at night often enough for now to justify this option. 

To rule out any potential problem, regardless of how often you use it, I’d suggest testing again to see if it actually powers down when it’s supposed to.  If it does, you can relax knowing its working normally, hence one less thing to worry about.  Then upgrade when you’re ready.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Expect that to be 24V...

Some newer long bodies have a 12V voltage supply, to power the lighter socket up front...

If you suspect a 12v line going to the bulb... give it a test... it is a possibility...

Best regards,

-a-

• 6 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 12:01 PM, Healthpilot said:

Hi there!

Anyone had this issue before?

Ovation 3 baggage door light turns on and then stays on. I had to unscrew the cover and remove the bulb. 

I found nothing in the POH on this.

Thanks!

Healthpilot

I am also having this same issue on a new-to-me airplane. I turned that baggage light on Friday night. I came back Saturday morning and it's still on. Did you ever get this figured out?

I purchased a Big Larry flashlight and use the attached clip to the top of my hat rack. The light is brilliant, doubles as a flashlight and emergency red flasher and it lights up the back seat as well, easy to unload and load even in the darkest nights, and If I accidentally leave it on, I just buy more double A's.

NEBO Big Larry 400 Lumen Flashlight Work Light COB Magnetic Bundle with Holster and Lumintrail Keychain Light (Silver) - - AmazonSmile

On 3/22/2021 at 12:01 PM, Healthpilot said:

Hi there!

Anyone had this issue before?

Ovation 3 baggage door light turns on and then stays on. I had to unscrew the cover and remove the bulb. 

I found nothing in the POH on this.

Thanks!

Healthpilot

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same problem.

16 minutes ago, Healthpilot said:

Yes simply remove and reinstall the bulb. Took care of this issue for me. Timer worked like a charm after that. 

I wish that would have worked for me. It stayed on the entire flight from TN to TX, so when I got home I pulled the bulb. The next day without touching the switch upon re-installing the bulb, it stayed on indefinitely.

The switch felt "sticky" internally when I turned it on initially. Oh well . .  I'll keep trying to figure it out.

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I wish that would have worked for me. It stayed on the entire flight from TN to TX, so when I got home I pulled the bulb. The next day without touching the switch upon re-installing the bulb, it stayed on indefinitely.

The switch felt "sticky" internally when I turned it on initially. Oh well . .  I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Auch... Sorry to hear. It may be a faulty switch then.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:50 PM, Healthpilot said:

Auch... Sorry to hear. It may be a faulty switch then.

Upon further checking, the switch is fine. I checked it with a new one I bought of the same part number. The light stays on without the wires on the switch connected.

It stays on all of the time until I pull the bulb. When I put the bulb back in after some time and hit the switch it lights up brighter for about 10 minutes then goes back to staying on all of the time in normal brightness. 

It's wired to this box in the tail of the airplane on the back of the baggage wall, which I'm guessing is the problem. I called International Avionics in Dallas and left a message but haven't heard back yet.

image.thumb.png.60ef8522a07331b1bec9979af04ceda7.png

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Upon further checking, the switch is fine. I checked it with a new one I bought of the same part number. The light stays on without the wires on the switch connected.

It stays on all of the time until I pull the bulb. When I put the bulb back in after some time and hit the switch it lights up brighter for about 10 minutes then goes back to staying on all of the time in normal brightness. 

It's wired to this box in the tail of the airplane on the back of the baggage wall, which I'm guessing is the problem. I called International Avionics in Dallas and left a message but haven't heard back yet.

image.thumb.png.60ef8522a07331b1bec9979af04ceda7.png

I believe that Don M. mentioned that he designed the timer: https://mooneyspace.com/profile/6879-donmuncy/

4 minutes ago, Healthpilot said:
I believe that Don M. mentioned that he designed the timer: https://mooneyspace.com/profile/6879-donmuncy/

@DonMuncy designed one for his airplane that actually works. The one I have is designed by International Avionics Incorporated.

image.thumb.png.dc300b9074ae8c08d569f6320e64ee6d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called the International Avionics Corporation this afternoon and talked to Mr. Snowden (you can't make this up).

He told me it would cost about $350 to diagnose and troubleshoot the Baggage Light Control Box, plus shipping both ways. I asked how much just to sell me the board inside the box. $300 plus $8 shipping for a new board. So that's the way I went, even though that's crazy for that board, but hopefully that solves it and I can check it off the list.

• 1 year later...
On 11/30/2021 at 7:42 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Where is this switch turns this baggage-area light on (but not off) in the Ovation? I killed my battery the other night (timer failed?), and I don't even know how I turned the baggage light on!