Compass issue

I recently had my compass swung and made my first flight this weekend since the work was done.  It appears to be reading accurately on the ground with all radios, lights, electronics powered up.  I flew from Grand Prairie to San Angelo (west southwesterly) and it appeared to be reasonably accurate in flight.  On the return trip later the same day the compass indicated about 30-35 degrees all the way home.  That should have been 74 degrees minus a few for the northerly winds...say 65 degrees for discussion.  Any idea what's happening here?  I’m assuming some sort of magnetized airframe maybe, but why would it not show up on the ground and not show up in flight for a few hours.

My airplane has original panel configuration, KX-155s, Garmin 327 xpndr, Garmin 796...nothing new or unusual.  IPad mini with a cooling deck plugged into cigar lighter.   The only electrical work I have done in the last year is to put in a 406 ELT, put in a tail beacon ADS-B, put in LED nav/strobes, wire up the pitot heat, put in an electric step motor.  Nav lights stay on all the time since it powers the ADS-B.

Thanks for any insight.

1 hour ago, RDuplechin said:

I recently had my compass swung and made my first flight this weekend since the work was done.  It appears to be reading accurately on the ground with all radios, lights, electronics powered up.  I flew from Grand Prairie to San Angelo (west southwesterly) and it appeared to be reasonably accurate in flight.  On the return trip later the same day the compass indicated about 30-35 degrees all the way home.  That should have been 74 degrees minus a few for the northerly winds...say 65 degrees for discussion.  Any idea what's happening here?  I’m assuming some sort of magnetized airframe maybe, but why would it not show up on the ground and not show up in flight for a few hours.

My airplane has original panel configuration, KX-155s, Garmin 327 xpndr, Garmin 796...nothing new or unusual.  IPad mini with a cooling deck plugged into cigar lighter.   The only electrical work I have done in the last year is to put in a 406 ELT, put in a tail beacon ADS-B, put in LED nav/strobes, wire up the pitot heat, put in an electric step motor.  Nav lights stay on all the time since it powers the ADS-B.

Thanks for any insight.

Kind of what Oscar said.  The compass swing should be performed with essentially the same configuration you will fly.  Things like landing lights and pitot heat are major contributors.  Basically look at the loads.  Portable equipment on the glare shield also make a difference.

Yes, engine was running.  All lights and electrical systems were on...take off configuration...xpndr to ALT...the works.   Engine is at 1800 or so during the run up with a known heading.  During run up, I generally check vacuum then verify the DG matches the compass and make sure both agree with my actual heading (taxi way line, 90 degrees to the runway, etc).  Only thing not on at that particular time is the boost pump...but that isn't on in flight either, so that shouldn't be the culprit.  All that was fine at GPM on flight 1 and at SJT on the return flight.

From SJT to GPM the winds were out of the north northwest, but based on the Star Wars chart they would have had to be close to 50 knots to give me that drastic of a crab angle.  They were actually more like 12-15 knots.

Forgot to mention...just for fun I did 30 degree (roughly) turns left and right just to see if the compass would move at all.  It moved a few degrees but not as much as one would expect.  I am familiar with lead/lag and accelerate/decelerate tendencies.  That normal compass behavior is not what I experienced.  The compass correction card calls for 2 degrees at that heading.  This far exceeded that. This was more like it was stuck magnetically very close to 030.  Once I got closer to GPM, I got real busy dodging the parade of 172s full of future airline pilots who don’t speak English and I admittedly stopped paying attention to the compass.  Same after landing...I forgot to note what it was doing on the ground.

The next time you go flying...

Try performing a standard rate timed turn... while watching the compass...

If something magnetized the airframe... the compass will not behave smoothly...   you can watch it stop, then accelerate to catch up... at certain headings, it can get stuck... as it doesn’t have much strength to break through the odd magnetic force...

Then, you will be looking for info on degaussing...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1