Garmin G5 HSI with GNS 430 install help

Howdy!

I am sure this has already been asked gazillion times and I searched the forum for half hour and couldn’t find the answer.

I’m about to start my IFR training on my M20E and found the old steam gauges don't cut it so I spent my never-gonna-happen-or-come-out autopilot budget on safety items.

I’m in the middle of installing uAvionix AV-30 as my primary AI and got Moving Map, audio and all the wiring done for it no issues there but...
My problem is I am installing Garmin G5 as my HSI, I want to replace the old analog one with a single G5. I have GNS 430 (non-waas) which already drives vacuum driven HSI. I know G5 must have GMU 11 for a magnetometer but my dilemma is the GAD 29. On every single page of the install manual it shows as its only needed if G5 is being interfaced to 2nd G5 or a third party navigator or to an autopilot. I am doing neither one of the 3. Single G5 as HSI with magnetometer.

So do I need the GAD 29? The existing HSI is already being driven by the 430 and the G5 is replacing the analog, already shows glideslope on ILS (non-waas so no VNAV which I am OK with). I am decent on avionics work but hate pinning out the 430 with passion and my weak spot is ARINC knowledge. I'm justifying my stupidity that current steam gauge already shows course and glideslope on GPS and VLOC so can G5 show same info without the GAD 29. 

The G5 does not have any ARINC inputs.  If you look at the connector there is one RS232 (used for GPS position information) and the CAN bus.  The GAD 29/29B provides the ARINC connections to a GPS navigator and forwards that to the G5 via the CAN bus.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:39 AM, Warren said:

The G5 does not have any ARINC inputs.  If you look at the connector there is one RS232 (used for GPS position information) and the CAN bus.  The GAD 29/29B provides the ARINC connections to a GPS navigator and forwards that to the G5 via the CAN bus.

Got it, so even though the 430 was driving the Century HSI with glide slope already the G5 still needs the GAD 29 to receive same info 

Before you go too far...

Check on the AV-30... it might not be ready for prime time yet...

There are a few things that would keep most people not going into IMC with that... yet.

There is still time for it to get straightened out...

Search on AV30 around here...

The G5 needs the extra box.... GAD29 (?) but, the GI275 has that hardware included internally...

Check your compass to make sure it is working smoothly... that’s where my IR training ended the first attempt... :)

Best regards,

-a-

31 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Before you go too far...

Check on the AV-30... it might not be ready for prime time yet...

There are a few things that would keep most people not going into IMC with that... yet.

There is still time for it to get straightened out...

Search on AV30 around here...

The G5 needs the extra box.... GAD29 (?) but, the GI275 has that hardware included internally...

Check your compass to make sure it is working smoothly... that’s where my IR training ended the first attempt... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I hear you, am aware of some of the potential issues on it. Presession sure will be an issue if it’s there  but I plan on displaying GPS on top tape to begin with in AI mode. It’s the reason my HSI is a G5 and not AV30 (and legality). So many reasons why I chose this route, vacuum gotta go, all these steam gauges and pump are timing out anyway, been an early adopter of SkyBeacon working with UAvionix on certified units, had first test batch installed on couple planes. I am a year away from IMC and at the rate these guys are taking care of stuff I choose to believe they will sort out the issues. Compare timeline of UAvionix to some other companies we waiting for on here and you gotta agree they’re not doing too bad. Seen and flown 2 different planes (none Mooney) with AV30 and was genuinely impressed. Should AV30 become insufficient a year later when I’m ready to bust thru clouds pulling it out for a G5 isn’t rocket science. Digital G5 not being able to transmit two lines across the screen from their own 430 and needing another box is rocket science...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spleecho said:

Got it, so even though the 430 was driving the Century HSI with glide slope already the G5 still needs the GAD 29 to receive same info 

Basically, yes, but there is more to it than that.  The G5 HSI displays a lot of information, and you could say it is a “smart” display.  It shows everything that the Century HSI does plus it automatically sets the course needed and also the mode it is displaying (VOR, LOC, GPS, LPV, etc.).  To do all that (plus more) it needs a processor for the ARINC data from the 430.  The GAD29 is that processor.  By comparison, the Century is a “dumb” display that needs the pilot to interpret and set it up.  The G5 does it all automatically.

BTW- you should consider getting the GAD29B that talks to autopilots.  You may not need it now, but maybe someday.

Having dual G5’s that talk to each other and everything else is the single greatest addition I’ve made to my airplane.  I’ve flown a G1000 and frankly, I kind of prefer the G5s and steam gauges.  (I freely admit I might be weird, though.)

• Like 4

Spleecho...

For reference, the thread regarding AV30 can be reviewed here...  it gets updated with actual MSer experience...  there may be others...

There were two issues that were found...

• the attitude indicator would forget it was in a constant rate turn over time...
  • The HSI were processing at near unusable rates...

+1 for anybody but big G getting their products up to speed...

Even big G has difficulty getting things out the door properly some days...

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Having dual G5’s that talk to each other and everything else is the single greatest addition I’ve made to my airplane.  I’ve flown a G1000 and frankly, I kind of prefer the G5s and steam gauges.  (I freely admit I might be weird, though.)

Guess that makes 2 of us. :D

• Like 2

15 hours ago, spleecho said:

Yes.  The only way to interface to a navigator with the G5 is through a GAD 29/29B interface.

• Like 1

As another dual G5 haver, I can't imagine pairing one with a half-baked AV-30 and would just bite the bullet and install two.  I think that would leave you better prepared for future updates, especially the fantastic Garmin autopilot.  Might be safer too since they talk to each other and can give you dual ADAHRS, dual batteries, and backup reversionary capability.  But it's your plane, your rules!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, spleecho said:

I decided to change my mind and do two G5’s instead of the AV-30. Now need to get a cheap GAD 29B. 

Be careful with the install that you don’t sever the autopilot output from the 430 when you are wiring it to the GAD29B. That happened once in another thread I recall.  

Have G5 STC install manual (and an experimental one for reference - I found the compliment each other), as well as the interconnect diagrams for the 430.