Wing sump drain with bladder issue

Joe Larussa

Anyone have a good way to remove a sump drain for cleaning? Went to sump and it’s stuck open. Tried the sumping a bunch of times and it keeps leaking. Replaced this two years ago. Not a normal easy and unscew like on a wet wing.

Edited by Joe Larussa

I had one that kept leaking.  Ordered another from Spruce as Griggs was out of stock.  About $15.  Swapped it out, took the old one home for autopsy.  Looked like it had some corrosion that caused the slide portion to stick.  Tried further disassembly, broke the crimped tabs that hold it together and threw it in the trash.  If it leaks and you have trash in the o-ring, maybe.  If it sticks or the o-ring needs replacing, it is toast.  Buy two, you'll have a spare.

Okay I did something stupid and can use some advice. Two years ago when my mechanic and I replaced the sump drains, we removed the plate with the nipple on it from the bladder instead of just unscrewing the drain. Of course getting it back into the bladder was a real bitch, so we opened up the tank so I could push down while he pushed it in. Of course NOW I under the mistake and repeated it. Any advice?

Just now, Joe Larussa said:

Okay I did something stupid and can use some advice. Two years ago when my mechanic and I replaced the sump drains, we removed the plate with the nipple on it from the bladder instead of just unscrewing the drain. Of course getting it back into the bladder was a real bitch, so we opened up the tank so I could push down while he pushed it in. Of course NOW I under the mistake and repeated it. Any advice?

Joe,

Looks like Siri changed what you wrote...

I’m unclear of the some of the last details posted...

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

Joe,

Looks like Siri changed what you wrote...

I’m unclear of the some of the last details posted...

Best regards,

-a-

If you look at the pic, the part on the left should not have been removed. It needs to be pushed back on the bladder. From passed experience the bladder just pushes up which makes it hard to get on. We misunderstood how the drain went on.

B49BBD05-833B-40DC-BB56-896EE52749B3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Great pic Joe!

My 65C used to suffer from this problem all the time...

The valve was under constant attack from particles that were trying to get stuck in the valve...

Pushing the drain in and out dozens of times... some times released the dirt particle...

It turns out I had a dirt problem that needed to be stopped...

The bladders won’t have that same problem because the part that was responsible for the dirt production is no longer in your fuel system... (mild steel fuel necks, rusting on the back side)

As far as the bladder system goes... that looks like a hose clamp goes on there... getting access to tighten the clamp with a screw driver is going to be important...

As far as having a spare drain valve goes... Many MSers usually have one on board... they are easy to get changed, if you have one...  wash out the old when you get home... if it only a piece of dirt in there...

They are susceptible to corrosion... because water is often at the bottom of the sump... :)

Best regards,

-a-

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Great pic Joe!

My 65C used to suffer from this problem all the time...

The valve was under constant attack from particles that were trying to get stuck in the valve...

Pushing the drain in and out dozens of times... some times released the dirt particle...

It turns out I had a dirt problem that needed to be stopped...

The bladders won’t have that same problem because the part that was responsible for the dirt production is no longer in your fuel system... (mild steel fuel necks, rusting on the back side)

As far as the bladder system goes... that looks like a hose clamp goes on there... getting access to tighten the clamp with a screw driver is going to be important...

As far as having a spare drain valve goes... Many MSers usually have one on board... they are easy to get changed, if you have one...  wash out the old when you get home... if it only a piece of dirt in there...

They are susceptible to corrosion... because water is often at the bottom of the sump... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Looks like I found the culprit. A small piece of rubber got stuck in there. I’m assuming bladder material? 

Great catch!

That will surely help identify where it came from...

Fortunately, bladders don’t usually drop any materials in to the fuel...

Of course... it might be leftover from the original manufacturing...

got a pic of the offending bit?  (Lots of people around here can identify many different things) 

The only thing left would be the orings in the fuel cap... have a look at the outer ring to see if it is whole...

The inner ring will require disassembly of the cap...

If the orings have been damaged, a water leak may occur...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Great catch!

That will surely help identify where it came from...

Fortunately, bladders don’t usually drop any materials in to the fuel...

Of course... it might be leftover from the original manufacturing...

got a pic of the offending bit?  (Lots of people around here can identify many different things) 

The only thing left would be the orings in the fuel cap... have a look at the outer ring to see if it is whole...

The inner ring will require disassembly of the cap...

If the orings have been damaged, a water leak may occur...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Unfortunately I threw it away. When I drained the tank I found four pieces just like it. I can take pics of it tomorrow. Pretty sure I replaced the cap o-rings a few years ago. I should probably screen the fuel before pouring it back in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joe Larussa said:

Looks like I found the culprit. A small piece of rubber got stuck in there. I’m assuming bladder material? 

Or from the hose on the fuel truck or tank.

‘I’ve gotten small pieces of rubber in my C-140 tanks which are aluminum, so I figure the suppliers hose is breaking down.

Old bladders will break down and shed black granules, that’s what told me our C-210 bladders were about ready for replacement. It was a 76 model and I have no idea how old they were.

Edited by A64Pilot