M20R Ovation DX: W&B limits per seat

mjk

Does anyone know if there's a maximum certificated weight, "do not exceed" for seats?  In other words, even if you're in CG, you still can't exceed the weight limit.  For example, the rear cargo area has a weight limit of 120# even is the load is in CG.  Is there anything like that pertaining to PAX weight in seats?

Welcome aboard mjk (some of my favorite Mooneys share your initials...) :)

There are a few weight limitations...  like the hat shelf and baggage area...

For the most part they help keep the WnB distributed properly...

Most Mooneys don’t have a zero fuel weight... 

So...

Whatever you load into the Ovation has to fit between the limits of the WnB...

I use an app for that, it graphs the results...

If you are heavily loaded in the front seats... you might bump the forward limit...

Ovations have a MGToW that is different from its Max landing weight...

So if you take off near MGTW, you may need to fly for an hour before landing below the limit...

There is tech guidance for this... it’s not like something will stop working all of a sudden... at one exact over loading situation...

All of the stall speeds, and best glide ratios and things like that depend on weight of the plane at the time...

Not any different than any other plane... but the POH has the data for you to be able to use it to your advantage...

Is there something particular that you want to bring with you?

Ovations are really nice for folding the seats down flat to haul large amounts of objects...

Total UL is often over 1k’...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

The seats are so sturdy that you'd have to break the W&B before the frame would crack!

I don't know this for a fact, but it seems to be in line with how Mooney generally designed the airframe.  ;)

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

The seats are so sturdy that you'd have to break the W&B before the frame would crack!

I don't know this for a fact, but it seems to be in line with how Mooney generally designed the airframe.  ;)

I am going to disagree with this.....and your mileage and opinions may vary.

I had to replace the latching mechanism, the part that sets the angle of the back seats, it just broke.  During the repair, found out the seat mechanism was only partially riveted to the airframe.  There wasn't much meat there.  The bracket was only riveted to the sheet metal that sits over the mechanicals in the belly, so not a lot.  I suspect that as people struggle to get in and out of the back seats they lean hard against the seat, putting pressure on the mechanism and the bracket.  Front seats no issues.  I do wonder if these seats are certified to the new 26G limit of modern airframes?