Ovation, adding a second alternator

flysamo

vacuum system is remover, always liked the ideal of having a second alternator, what does it take to installed a second unit as back up on a ovation, from a pilot who has lost 3 alternators in flight over the years in different models of air craft

To utilize it properly I would think you’d want to wire in a backup/emergency circuit as the output is much lower than the main alternator. Having said that with two batteries in the back and the massive amount of destruction that can happen to the engine I’d land ASAP vs continuing to the destination. 

• Like 1

I installed the Mooney factory kit in my 2000 M20R; pn 940105-503.  I think kit price was around $5k.  It's basically a B&C 20 amp unit that mounts to the pad adjacent to the vacuum pump - note B&C doesn't have an STC for the install and so I found factory was the only option.  Installation was a challenge, not for an A&P who's unsure of electrical systems, some of the supplied parts didn't fit the existing connectors in my sn aircraft even though it was the correct kit.  Frank Crawford and the team at the factory provided responsive support and we got it all worked out.

Note; there are a couple of different kit part numbers; make sure you get the correct one for your aircraft sn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a technical discussion on adding a second alternator to an O....

I think inviting @StevenL757 and @M20Doc may be helpful.... 

The B&C alternator has been used for many years for this...

The Essential bus for critical equipment for flight is helpful... good for dropping the excess load with one switch...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, flysamo said:

vacuum system is remover, always liked the ideal of having a second alternator, what does it take to installed a second unit as back up on a ovation, from a pilot who has lost 3 alternators in flight over the years in different models of air craft

There are a couple of ways to do this.  The most expensive option is to do everything through the factory via your chosen MSC.  All-in, expect to spend about $8k - $15k to get it installed and tested correctly.  On your aircraft, and in addition to other parts, the two buses would need to be isolated, separate circuit breakers and a separate regulator installed, and then energized with a relay.

The lesser-expensive way to go would be to get the BC410-1 alternator and related parts from B&C yourself.  Brand-new, they're $1700 direct from B&C, or an OH exchange (with the option to return a core for a $300 credit...which you won't have unfortunately) for $1250.  Get any additional Mooney-specific parts through your MSC/factory, and then factor in installation.  Hard to quote this option, as there are variables that will likely drive the cost one way or another.

To add to @Steve2 comments, agree the installation shouldn't be attempted by someone other than an MSC...preferably with avionics experience. 

For @flysamo, unfortunately, Frank is no longer with the factory, but depending on how serious you are about installing this, let me know and I can put you in touch with my resource who has done bunches of these installs on Mooneys.

Edited by StevenL757
Tagged the OP
  • Like 1

So you're using the factory drawing as your approved data and sourcing the parts from alternative locations?

That's too bad about Frank not being at the factory any longer; I occasionally needed tech support with customer aircraft and he was always responsive with accurate information.