Importing a Canadian plane to the USA

NJMac

Anyone familiar with bringing a Canadian plane into the USA?  How about now, in the middle of Covid?  There has been a really nice Ovation in Canada that I presume isn't selling because of the Covid and import process.  I'm just about dumb enough to try it if there are some pointers to follow.  

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/196508717/1996-mooney-m20r-ovation-piston-single-aircraft

33 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Anyone familiar with bringing a Canadian plane into the USA?  How about now, in the middle of Covid?  There has been a really nice Ovation in Canada that I presume isn't selling because of the Covid and import process.  I'm just about dumb enough to try it if there are some pointers to follow.  

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/196508717/1996-mooney-m20r-ovation-piston-single-aircraft

That's a really beautiful r.

Seems like it is an especially hard time to import an airplane with the border closed.

• Like 1

I have crossed a couple times during covid.  Canada has more restrictions than us right now.  They will make you quarantine for 2 weeks if you go up there.  The US didn’t seem to care each time I came back.  I was up there for business and read the Transport Canada rules extensively before going.  So could you get someone to fly it down to say Wilmar for a prebuy?  Yes, probably.  However, that person will have some work/time/expense getting home.

• Like 2

I think there is another thread of a MS member looking at this plane...

I’d check to see if the plane is located at (or can be moved to) an AOE for general aviation. Might make it easier to get the permission to fly direct to that airport, look over etc. the plane and fly back to a US AOE airport. 

• Like 2

The border is more or less closed, airplanes seem to be passing through though.  You should check with your A&P and a DAR in the US on the import requirements first.

We’ve exported airplanes as Canadian ones and let the buyer deal with the export and we’ve changed them to US planes while here and then exported.

Things to consider, repainting the marks, most lenders won’t finance it while it’s not on the US register, so you’ll need to have a pile of cash.

Clarence

Do your homework is all I can say. When I was searching 6 years ago there were 2 Canada based Ovations I thought were good candidates. I did some homework on re-registering them to N numbers and discovered it was quite a process. You need to prove that no work was done ("alterations made") that aren't approved by the FAA, a DAR has to inspect, there are fees and taxes...etc.  I can't remember all the details. So if you buy in Canada but run into problems re-registering you may have an airplane you can't fly in the US.

Also, if memory serves, the pilot is required to have a PPL certificate from the country of aircraft registry. So if you buy it you cannot fly it until you have successfully re-registered it and/or would need a Canadian pilot to ferry it to the US.

It all gets done regularly, so it can be done. But make sure you've spoken to a bunch of people who have done it before committing!

Robert

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 5:45 PM, NJMac said:

I imported my J last year from Canada. Let me know in a private message, if you want to discuss the process.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:45 PM, NJMac said:

It's a dealer selling it, it's currently at CYCW, and he can deliver to KBLI on a Canadian registration.

You can get a broker to pre-clear the customs for a small fee, makes CBP much happier knowing that someone else has taken care and approved the import.

The dealer can mask over the registration after landing and commence the de-registration process.   You get a maintenance shop to do a fresh annual and get the plane ready for a DER inspector, who will issue the new CoA, one it is registered in your name.

The big 'gotcha' is figuring out the point of change of ownership and change of funds.  I got a little caught out last time when the escrow agent wouldn't release funds on delivery, and waited until reregistration.  I was annoyed, because this was not what the sales agreement said.  But it all worked out.

I think the other thread said the early logbooks were missing?

I have a hangar at CYCW, have seen the plane, know all the local guys, know the paint shop etc.  I can help with the transaction if you want?

Don

3 hours ago, Aerodon said:

I think the other thread said the early logbooks were missing?

I have a hangar at CYCW, have seen the plane, know all the local guys, know the paint shop etc.  I can help with the transaction if you want?

Don

Don, thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds almost like it could work.  Yes, the early log books are missing in hard form but I believe present digitally. I don't know if the dealer doesn't want to sell it or what.  I reached out via email and haven't heard back.  I guess planes sell themselves in this market but I'd be upset if I was the owner and the broker wasn't acting on all leads. 

I think I'm going to buy a Cirrus for the next plane here shortly.  It's somewhat a long story but the stars are aligning and it makes a fair amount of sense and simplicity

Edited by NJMac

The shop that painted it was also the dealer.  Now there is an Alberta dealer (the owners home province) and the plane has been pushed outside of dealer #1's hangar.

I would be OK with scanned copies of previous logbooks, but it is easier to intentionally delete a page.  

Yes, my last experience with a dealer in Colorado was excellent - he chased down proper answers to all the questions I had, even tracking down previous owners and maintenance guys to ask about stuff.  

It's a hard plane to sell in Canada, there are not as many buyers that are wealthy enough, and not as many pilots as appreciative of a Mooney's capabilities.  Yet given the distances and altitudes we need to fly, it should be easy.

I see C172 prices going through the roof, they are being snapped up by the flying schools worldwide.  So a matter of time before the more capable planes also become more valuable.

Aerodon