Heard ATC talking to air force one

rbridges

They had a tfr around atlanta today, so I got to fly even further around bravo. :lol:. I heard ATC telling air force one to maintain 11000 and then 8000 before telling them to change frequencies. Kinda cool to hear that. 

No pics but here's my wacky approach into a non towered airport north of atlanta. They had me flying in a circle until someone landing at another nearby airport landed and cancelled his ifr. 

Screenshot_20210319-190403.png

• Like 7

Seems like they wouldn’t broadcast what could be useful information for a would-be bad actor, such as route and altitude, over a public broadcast. I guess I’ve never thought about it but I would have thought they’d simply clear the space, give a classified block altitude along each segment, and move everybody else. Hm. 

4 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

Seems like they wouldn’t broadcast what could be useful information for a would-be bad actor, such as route and altitude, over a public broadcast. I guess I’ve never thought about it but I would have thought they’d simply clear the space, give a classified block altitude along each segment, and move everybody else. Hm. 

AF 1 was landing at ATL. Hard to plan descent legs in detail in advance . . . .

Something like that happened to me 5 or 6 years ago.

Was flying a PALS (Patient Airlift Services) mission from Philadelphia to Rockland (Maine). IFR day and at 9000ft we were in and out of the clouds most of the way. It was a busy ATC day and the Bahsten controllers were talking even faster than usual. About 20nm W of Boston while NE bound I get vectored 30dg left, barely on the new heading I get a vector 60dg right....just level again and wondering what was going on and I get a call "...Compassion Flight 6PC traffic 1 o'clock, two ship 747 and an F22...." Nothing to see except ragged clouds so I reply "...negative contact in IMC..." Brief silence then "...Air Force One turn 30dg right..." 

The 75 yo cancer patient in the right seat and I turned towards each other with big grins....she may not have been a pilot but certainly realized the president just gave way to our lowly Mooney :D

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 201Steve said:

Believe it or not but they lie, Code if you will something maybe as simple as add x feet or miles whatever, I’ve seen them report where they aren’t and wondered about it.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I saw this story just today. For some reason it was placed into storage at Stewart, in upstate New York, exposed to the elements for the past four years.

image.png.7672420b79ffa3bdaca1922b5616a2ac.png

Well, it's not going to move with only one engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert C. said:

Something like that happened to me 5 or 6 years ago.

Was flying a PALS (Patient Airlift Services) mission from Philadelphia to Rockland (Maine). IFR day and at 9000ft we were in and out of the clouds most of the way. It was a busy ATC day and the Bahsten controllers were talking even faster than usual. About 20nm W of Boston while NE bound I get vectored 30dg left, barely on the new heading I get a vector 60dg right....just level again and wondering what was going on and I get a call "...Compassion Flight 6PC traffic 1 o'clock, two ship 747 and an F22...." Nothing to see except ragged clouds so I reply "...negative contact in IMC..." Brief silence then "...Air Force One turn 30dg right..." 

The 75 yo cancer patient in the right seat and I look turned towards each other with big grins....she may not have been a pilot but certainly realized the president just gave way to our lowly Mooney :D

That's pretty cool. Years ago, I got vectored off an approach at KSJC so that N1 (the FAA Administrator's airplane) could land ahead of me. Maybe he was running late for a speech :D

• Like 1

The coolest thing ATC ever did for me was over Palm Springs. They called 747 traffic 5 miles away and 4000 feet higher. it seemed weird that they would call out traffic that far away. I looked for the traffic and saw the space shuttle on top of a 747 flying by! I replied "Traffic in sight and thanks!" they said "I thought you would like that"

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It looks pretty well taken care of for a plane that is rotting away!

Not sure why anyone is reporting it as rotting away. If you read the story they’ve removed one engine for repair. 
Not sure how it works with big jets in corporate but with smaller corporate jets engine repairs don’t even cost you anything. You pay an hour maintenance fee and all scheduled and unschedule work is covered. In the citation it was $150/hr/engine. Even a $50,000 fuel controller was replaced totally free under that program. 

13 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Not sure why anyone is reporting it as rotting away. If you read the story they’ve removed one engine for repair. 
Not sure how it works with big jets in corporate but with smaller corporate jets engine repairs don’t even cost you anything. You pay an hour maintenance fee and all scheduled and unschedule work is covered. In the citation it was $150/hr/engine. Even a $50,000 fuel controller was replaced totally free under that program. 

Yes it looks like Rolls Royce has the same program. So as long as these engines were enrolled they’d have taken care of it. 
https://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/dinamic-content/media/Executive Briefing 6 - RR Totalcare - Mtg the Needs of Key Customers - 8 Mar 10 v9.pdf

4 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I have a tendency to agree with the OP, but please let’s not.

I’m a moderator on a big sailing forum, I don’t visit there anymore, they let politics in. and it’s ruined the forum

I have very much been enjoying not talking about or thinking about politics lately.  I don't care if I agree or disagree with the op.  That's irrelevant.  With hiccups sometimes, we have done a pretty good job here remembering its an aviation forum.  Although being an aviation forum, certainly talking about the airplanes of presidents and former presidents must be fair game.  Though it can easily become fodder to run off the rail again.

• Like 4

A former Vice President used to fly into KABY often, to hunt at the Victoria Secret plantation.

‘There was little notice of a TFR it seemed and of course it grounded me, but I have been airborne and seen AF2 reporting to tower on the radio a location that they weren’t at, and tower didn’t call them on it either, I spoke to the controller and he pretty much admitted that they had a code so they didn’t report actual location over the radio.

‘Made sense to me, not often but every now and again the Secret Service would show up and set up on the roof of the plant, the plant was just outside of the western side of the airport. we had a “hole in the fence” agreement with the airport. I guess it was a good place to set up an observation post.

‘I often wondered just what it was he was hunting at the Victoria Secret plantation :)

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In October 1986 when i was living in Grand Forks ND, I arrived at the airport to go flying in my C-172. As I was taxiing I was told to pull over on the ramp and shut down my engine. A few seconds later a motorcade pulled up. Reagan had been in town campaigning for Mark Andrews. They got out of there in pretty short order, but I had to wait to take off until they were out of the airspace. But it was nice to have a front row seat and see the 707 taxi and take off and be the next airplane to take off 10 minutes later.

• Like 3

My coolest encounter with AF1 was on the NAT tracks. We were on a track, he was on a random below us. Of course no callout since non radar, so before we could dig our cameras out he was gone crossing at about a 30 degree angle below.

• Like 1

I saw on a post a couple of years ago from a local school out of RYY (I believe). Air Force One flew under the CFI and a Student while it was outbound.  They had the photo to prove it.  How cool would that be.

I was flying that day as well.  On an IFR flight plan back into CNI.  Announce that I had the airport in sight.   Naturally, Approach told me to squawk 1200 freq change approved.  I landed and taxied up to the ramp.  The lineman came out on the phone.  Hung up after I shut down.  Said that, best I could interpret, the controller should've kept me on my assigned code.  They called the FBO to make sure I was on the ground and shutdown.  

I believe the only leg up I'd have on the scrambled flight would be endurance, which is moot.:lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jwilcoxon78 said:

I saw on a post a couple of years ago from a local school out of RYY (I believe). Air Force One flew under the CFI and a Student while it was outbound.  They had the photo to prove it.  How cool would that be.

I was flying that day as well.  On an IFR flight plan back into CNI.  Announce that I had the airport in sight.   Naturally, Approach told me to squawk 1200 freq change approved.  I landed and taxied up to the ramp.  The lineman came out on the phone.  Hung up after I shut down.  Said that, best I could interpret, the controller should've kept me on my assigned code.  They called the FBO to make sure I was on the ground and shutdown.  

I believe the only leg up I'd have on the scrambled flight would be endurance, which is moot.:lol:

Oh, heck if you get intercepted and want to screw with them, practice some slow flight.

• Like 1

Just now, jwilcoxon78 said:

Good point.  So the Mooney has two worthless advantages:lol:

We should have a contest here on Mooneyspace to see who can keep their Mooney airborne the longest. I bet at L/D max and the minimum power to hold altitude, LOP of course, you could keep a Mooney in the air for 10 hours or more. If you could stay airborne on 3 GPH those long range airplanes could make 30 hours!

46 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

We should have a contest here on Mooneyspace to see who can keep their Mooney airborne the longest. I bet at L/D max and the minimum power to hold altitude, LOP of course, you could keep a Mooney in the air for 10 hours or more. If you could stay airborne on 3 GPH those long range airplanes could make 30 hours!

@201er already has 11 hours. And Jonathan Paul flew his Mooney non-stop from San Diego to Savannah, ~18 hours I think.

Beat his record, either miles or hours, and I'll be impressed!

• Like 2