Mooney m20m bravo - strange brake noise

pkofman

Today I had to buy gas at a self serve that caused me to move the plane with a tow bar . I did it manually with a tow bar. when I did that I ensured brakes off obviously but it sounded like a terrible noise coming from the brakes/ wheels  , sounding like they were locked. or on The plane however  did roll . when I taxied the plane the plane pulled right slightly. I continued feeling that everything was within reason  and took off on my trip . I was able to hold a straight line  on take off and when I landed no pulling. Then putting the plane back in the hangar I once again tried to move the plane with the tow bar and this time no noise. I don't know what happened but maybe something seized and then freed up. Does this sound or seem  familiar to anyone. Does  it point to  brake that  had seized up < If they were  locked up how can I unlock it , are there any tricks to fix this sort of thing.. .fyi, no hard landings or side loads from  x-wind landings .  thoughts.    Peter

I hade a strange brake sound when pushing the plane around. Mechanic installed a brake pad backwards. Yes, backwards with the steel backing plate against the disk and the friction material against the piston. When I brought this to their attention they replaced the pad and disk and did it right the second time.

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Fly more often...

has it had any time off over the winter?

were the disks showing any rust?

typical issues... that come to mind...

Best regards,

-a-

plane flies about one a week in the winter ., more if I get an  opportunities, is in a heated hangar. I have never noticed it before but then again not sure I would if I heard it if the head set was on and the engine running.  there was no issue on the first leg of the fight or the third but the second was when I noticed it and had to move the plane by hand .. it was not the first intermittent issue I've had with the plane. Baffled. I must have done something wrong and ill take the plane to the shop to have a quick look

• Like 1

Felt as though my brakes were rubbing/grabbing. I am unsure what normal is, this is the only Mooney I have ever flown from the left seat, or touched the brakes for that matter. Left brake also seems to get mushy after flying, then tightens up after one pump. Still not getting a lot of grip and so just letting the plane roll out to slow down. While the plane is in for avionics I might service the brakes.  

items you may want to look at base on our ovation, master cylinder pilot /co pilot master, one leaked was overhauled and now co pilot has very small leak, brake cylinder leak/ overhaul/ strange sound. ck. fluid reservoir, ours was almost empty. surprise when you take a real close look 

Sometimes it's as simple as a pebble or something wedged against something that eventually falls out and frees things up.   Sometimes brake pistons hang up a little bit and free up after being used a couple times.

You could jack up that side and make sure the wheel spins freely and inspect things, but if it isn't exhibiting symptoms any more it's just maybe something to watch out for for a while.

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Fly more often...

has it had any time off over the winter?

were the disks showing any rust?

typical issues... that come to mind...

Best regards,

-a-

I agree with Carusoam here.

Slight rust on rotors sounds like the most likely culprit.

harmless and goes away with normal use.

The left brake getting mushy is what needs addressing.

Brake pads slide on pins, sometimes they get a little cocked and drag just a bit, then use the brake and they align correctly and the noise stops is another possibility. Nothing pulls a pad away from the disk, only pressure forces it tight, but nothing makes it back off, they drag a bit by design 

39 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

The left brake getting mushy is what needs addressing.

Brake pads slide on pins, sometimes they get a little cocked and drag just a bit, then use the brake and they align correctly and the noise stops is another possibility. Nothing pulls a pad away from the disk, only pressure forces it tight, but nothing makes it back off, they drag a bit by design 

We did spray some anti-seize on our pins during the prebuy. Might need to do it again, the plane sat on the ramp in FL for a year and flew around 7 hours. Good list of other items to check, thanks guys. 

23 hours ago, pkofman said:

Today I had to buy gas at a self serve that caused me to move the plane with a tow bar . I did it manually with a tow bar. when I did that I ensured brakes off obviously but it sounded like a terrible noise coming from the brakes/ wheels  , sounding like they were locked. or on The plane however  did roll . when I taxied the plane the plane pulled right slightly. I continued feeling that everything was within reason  and took off on my trip . I was able to hold a straight line  on take off and when I landed no pulling. Then putting the plane back in the hangar I once again tried to move the plane with the tow bar and this time no noise. I don't know what happened but maybe something seized and then freed up. Does this sound or seem  familiar to anyone. Does  it point to  brake that  had seized up < If they were  locked up how can I unlock it , are there any tricks to fix this sort of thing.. .fyi, no hard landings or side loads from  x-wind landings .  thoughts.    Peter

Peter,

I will be at the shop tomorrow, if you have time stop by and I’ll take a look.

Clarence

I have a T182T that does the same thing. Changed the Pads, no more noise. Your Pads might be getting thin. 
In my case it only made noises when pushing it into the hangar. 
similar double puck break designs. 
-Matt