Any guidance on fasting while flying?

RobertGary1

On 3/19/2021 at 9:05 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

If you are worried about fasting, take some food with you, if you start to feel bad, break the fast and have something to eat. Those GUE packs I used to down while doing marathons will boost your blood sugar in no time flat.

Bad idea unless there's a lav on that glider.  Sometimes breaking a fast requires an almost immediate trip to the head...

Heads up gang. If you do purchase any of Dr. Fung's books, or if you purchase anything form Amazon, which I know nearly all of us do, please remember if willing, to use

smile.amazon.com 

And choose Mooney Summit as your choice for the charitable donation! I was remiss in putting normal amazon links up instead of smile.amazon.com links up and am thus reminding everyone to purchase with Smile.Amazon.com if you would be willing to with Mooney Summit or another charitable organization selected.

Very respectfully,

-Seth

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Seth said:

Heads up gang. If you do purchase any of Dr. Fung's books, or if you purchase anything form Amazon, which I know nearly all of us do, please remember if willing, to use

smile.amazon.com 

And choose Mooney Summit as your choice for the charitable donation! I was remiss in putting normal amazon links up instead of smile.amazon.com links up and am thus reminding everyone to purchase with Smile.Amazon.com if you would be willing to with Mooney Summit or another charitable organization selected.

Very respectfully,

-Seth

Do you know if it’s possible to do this while using the Amazon phone app?

Works equally well on phones and iPads...

Sometimes...

When you click on an Amazon link... it may notice it isn’t the smile link... and may ask if you would like to enter through the smile version to allow the charitable donation to occur...

Makes shopping through Amazon more fun...   :)

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Seth said:

smile.amazon.com 

Very respectfully,

-Seth

Thanks Seth, We are all looking forward to a great Summit this year. Seth is developing quite a program and even small amazon smile contributions help keep this event and our foundation on the rails.

I absolutely never eat or drink anything before a long flight.  If the flight takes the better part of a day I turn that day into a fasting day.

I do one fasting day a month, usually the first Monday.  Had bad headwinds during my last flight to the UP, took all day.  Didn't eat that day.  Suited me just fine.  Most of us have more than enough energy reserves (i.e. fat) to withstand a one day fast with no adverse physiological effects beyond hunger. Hunger is good, it sharpens the mind. I do drink lots of water on landing.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I may have - I had a business trip to Brazil about 10 years ago - and the hotel - actually a resort - had an elaborate brunch-buffet every day.  They had many fruits I had never seen before and I tried many and they were very interesting and some fantastic and fresh.  They had what seemed like a dozen different kinds of bananas I had never seen before.  Some big some small but clearly different kinds of varieties.  And very fresh - local.

I know, right?  Having some of those other bananas that actually TASTE more like bananas is almost life changing! :D

• Like 1

I have  done  intermittent fasting regularly in the past.

Actually flew an approach in IMC down to minimums whilst being 48 -60 hours into a 3 days fast, no problem.

Putting on my physician hat and speaking as an aviation medical examiner: Low blood sugar is not an issue if you are adapted to a low carb diets and/or intermittent fasting, the issue comes in if you have high blood sugar and start fasting. Blood sugar will decrease before insulin decreases and there is a risk of becoming hypoglycaemic in flight. (low blood sugar which can cause you to pass-out).

So yes you can fly whilst fasting but NOT if you are NEW to intermittent fasting or Low carb/ketogenic diets.

Edited by Hilbilly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

understand his concern about fasting but he flying a glider in the afternoon ,not making a transcontinental hop with weather minimums at both ends.I think if feels good enough to assemble,walk the glider out to takeoff point he should have no problem coring a thermal or intersepting wave lift....glider piloting is rather relaxing

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I know, right?  Having some of those other bananas that actually TASTE more like bananas is almost life changing! :D

Well - in philosophy terms - this is epistemology - the things I grew up eating that we buy at the grocery story in the USA, are yellow and we call them Bananas.  By definition for my experience, this is what bananas taste like.

The things I ate in Brazil were different.  Some were smaller.  Some were browner.  Some were fatter.  Some were mostly looking the same.  And they all had different tastes from each other and ALL better than the thing I buy in the usa called a banana.  So who am I to say those things in brazil taste more like a banana the thing I buy at the grocery store at home?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hilbilly said:

I have  done  intermittent fasting regularly in the past.

Actually flew an approach in IMC down to minimums whilst being 48 -60 hours into a 3 days fast, no problem.

3-day fast, that's impressive.  I fast for one and I'm dragging my carcass around.

This has been a very interesting read.  I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic when I was 21.  Fasting is a real challenge.  I do become another person.  Like that green angry guy in the Marvel world, then I pass out.  When my wife sees this other green guy show it's ugly head, she feeds me.  This really makes fasting difficult though it is part of our religious beliefs.  I am sure that there are more educated here on this issue, and I am looking forward for more information from those more wise than I.  In the mean time, fasting doesn't seem to be an option for me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mufflerbearing said:

This has been a very interesting read.  I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic when I was 21.  Fasting is a real challenge.  I do become another person.  Like that green angry guy in the Marvel world, then I pass out.  When my wife sees this other green guy show it's ugly head, she feeds me.  This really makes fasting difficult though it is part of our religious beliefs.  I am sure that there are more educated here on this issue, and I am looking forward for more information from those more wise than I.  In the mean time, fasting doesn't seem to be an option for me.

Understanding wives are critically important! Be very, very happy that you have one. Be even happier that she is helpful.

Fly safe! and un-green . . . . .

• Like 2