M20G real world cruise speed

For those who own a M20G what is a honest TAS you can count on? Book says 147 but books sometimes lies. All things being equal, can you plan 140 at 75%?  what is your preferred MAP/RPM and why.

Thank you for the free education I get from mooneyspace.

-Tony

59 minutes ago, atrosa said:

For those who own a M20G what is a honest TAS you can count on? Book says 147 but books sometimes lies. All things being equal, can you plan 140 at 75%?  what is your preferred MAP/RPM and why.

Thank you for the free education I get from mooneyspace.

-Tony

Did a little sleuthing with the wayback machine.  This document is no longer hosted online but available on the archive.  I saved it in .pdf format for your enjoyment. Looks like the lightly modded bird in the Eval was a 140 to 145kt bird.

M20G Evaluation Report.pdf

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 3

I read all those evals and they are awesome... but most were done lightly loaded.  Expect loading to affect cruise speed by up to about 5-10 knots.  Ymmv, but that’s what I see between very light and max gross.

When discussing book speeds... with any accuracy...

It is sort of important to include the units...

Very often, book speeds are in mias...

And discussions around here are typically in kias or ktas 

Either way... the M20G is the fastest turtle on the planet....   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

Book speeds for any aircraft don’t mean much, Book speed for my M20J is 175 kts and on my pre purchase test flight I did get 168 out of it full throttle and 2,000 MSL at 2600 RPM, and burning 19 GPH.

‘But who will ever fly like that? I can get 150 kts LOP at altitude, burning 8 GPH, or 160 not LOP and burning 11 GPH.

I assume the airplane your looking at will achieve similar results, with slightly different numbers, but if your expecting “book” numbers you won’t be happy, and if you run it that hard, it’s likely you won’t be happy either

Edited by A64Pilot

2 hours ago, atrosa said:

So if I plan for 130, I won't be disappointed.

It all depends on the winds aloft. My C is a dependable 145-148 KTAS plane. My level cruise groundspeed envelope, all indicating 140-145 mph at altitude, is 68-186 knots.

17 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Book speeds for any aircraft don’t mean much, Book speed for my M20J is 175 kts and on my pre purchase test flight I did get 168 out of it full throttle and 2,000 MSL at 2600 RPM, and burning 19 GPH.

‘But who will ever fly like that? I can get 150 kts LOP at altitude, burning 8 GPH, or 160 not LOP and burning 11 GPH.

I assume the airplane your looking at will achieve similar results, with slightly different numbers, but if your expecting “book” numbers you won’t be happy, and if you run it that hard, it’s likely you won’t be happy either

If I'm flying anything, I'm happy.

• Like 1