"69 Electric Gear Motor

Recently had a situation where the gear retracted fine and fast (as usual) but was very slow extending and would not go all the way down.  Cranked the gear down and landed at my favorite FBO where they are evaluating the issue.  I suspect the motor is giving or has given up the ghost.  I understand there is someone in CA who can rebuild the Dukes motors (if that turns out to actually be the problem).  Does anyone know who that is and how to contact them?

On 3/18/2021 at 1:23 PM, Ron McBride said:

I have heard that George closed the shop and retired.

I’m not surprised if George has in fact retired.  He overhauled my generator some 8 years ago and looked like he was well into the retirement window back then.  What a craftsman, though.  I think it was a 2-day turnaround and it looked and still performs like new.  The Zef VR replacing the Delco-Remy probably helps some, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. after getting the plane up on jacks and doing a little investigation it became clear that the gear motor was on its way out.  So, the motor and the gearbox are on the way to LASAR for rebuild.  Interestingly I have heard that motor failure at around 3500 hours is not unusual and my M20C has almost exactly 3500 hours on it.  Guess the motor knows exactly when to quit!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 3:08 PM, 47U said:

I’m not surprised if George has in fact retired.  He overhauled my generator some 8 years ago and looked like he was well into the retirement window back then.  What a craftsman, though.  I think it was a 2-day turnaround and it looked and still performs like new.  The Zef VR replacing the Delco-Remy probably helps some, too.

George retired almost 10 years ago. The widow kept the shop running with one of his employees until a few years ago. I’m pretty sure they are gone now. 

21 hours ago, Cloudmirth said:

Well. after getting the plane up on jacks and doing a little investigation it became clear that the gear motor was on its way out.  So, the motor and the gearbox are on the way to LASAR for rebuild.  Interestingly I have heard that motor failure at around 3500 hours is not unusual and my M20C has almost exactly 3500 hours on it.  Guess the motor knows exactly when to quit!

It's ever so much better to find this out on jacks than in the air!!

Hope the rebuild and reinstall goes smoothly for you.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:33 PM, Cloudmirth said:

Recently had a situation where the gear retracted fine and fast (as usual) but was very slow extending and would not go all the way down.  Cranked the gear down and landed at my favorite FBO where they are evaluating the issue.  I suspect the motor is giving or has given up the ghost.  I understand there is someone in CA who can rebuild the Dukes motors (if that turns out to actually be the problem).  Does anyone know who that is and how to contact them?

My 1970 C has an ITT gear motor, not a Dukes. You just gotta see what you have.

• 2 months later...

LASAR has had my Dukes gear motor for 6 weeks now, said they had to send out to have the armature rebuilt.  No clear explanation on delay or ETA. Anyone know of any other overhaul/replacement options or are the ITT motors available?  Thanks

On 6/11/2021 at 6:12 AM, FlySafe said:

LASAR has had my Dukes gear motor for 6 weeks now, said they had to send out to have the armature rebuilt.  No clear explanation on delay or ETA. Anyone know of any other overhaul/replacement options or are the ITT motors available?  Thanks

Update, heard from LASAR and gear motor should be on its way back next week and I’m glad for their help. However, the long wait for this one item makes me wonder about future availability of other parts and repair options for our older Mooney fleet even while some of us are on an install wait list for the GFC500. This may test my theory that “things of quality have no fear of time.”  Have a good weekend.

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING is on a long delay right now regardless of the name of the maker.

My very basic Lycoming IO 360 was last flown in January.  They took the engine apart in F3bruary and I started waiting for parts and machining resources.  They finished it Thursday.  I went through the same delays with my Cessna engine late last year.

This s the world we live in today and not only Mooney and not only Aviation.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:12 AM, FlySafe said:

Update, heard from LASAR and gear motor should be on its way back next week and I’m glad for their help. However, the long wait for this one item makes me wonder about future availability of other parts and repair options for our older Mooney fleet even while some of us are on an install wait list for the GFC500. This may test my theory that “things of quality have no fear of time.”  Have a good weekend.

It’s been this way for at least 20 years. Haven’t seen it really get better or worse.