Headset Poll

201er

What kind of headset?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of headset do you personally use in your Mooney?

• Passive Headset
    • ANR Headset
    • In the Ear Headset
    • Speaker and Handheld Mic
    • NORDO
  2. 2. What brand headset do you personally use in your Mooney?

• Bose
    • Clarity Aloft
    • David Clark
    • Lightspeed
    • Quiet Technologies (Halo)
    • Other
  3. 3. What do passengers get?

• Same as my personal headset
    • Basic headset
    • Other premium headset
    • Mixed headsets

What kind of headset do you use? What brand? What do your passengers get?

How does your hair look after wearing your headset on a long flight? How do your ears and head feel? How well can you hear the radios? How good is it for music? Do you wear glasses in flight? How does your headset mesh with oxygen system? Why do you choose the headset you use?

Edited by 201er

I've been using the Quiet Technologies Halo exclusively since 2012. I got hooked on it reading good things about it on Mooneyspace. At first, I thought it was very strange and uncomfortable. But, I got used to it very quickly and could never go back to a head clamping headset.

My wife got converted to a Halo as well pretty quickly. She likes that it doesn't mess up her hair and is light on the head. No bad hair day, no sweaty ears, no squeezing on glasses. The voice clarity on the Halo headset is the best of any headset I've experienced including the ANR Bose. I used to keep the radio turned up to 3/4 of max volume with the David Clark, 1/2 with the Bose, and just 1/4 with the Halo. You just don't have to blast the sound as much at yourself to hear it clearly over the noise with this headset. On intercom, it delivers voice so well you feel like you're talking to the person next to you and forget you have a headset on. The Halo is pretty good for music but I'll admit the Bose was better. The ANR makes the Bose a quieter headset so music sounds better against less background noise and I think it just sounds better with the Bose.

Halo-Couple.thumb.jpg.cd48ef4f20ffdc2a8082e6c765f95713.jpg

I wear glasses every flight. My wife wears her sunglasses when it is bright. I can't stand regular headsets that squeeze on the glasses. That's probably the single biggest advantage of the Halo is that it doesn't interfere with glasses. The Halo is the only headset I've used that I can wear glasses, oxygen canula, and hat with easily. The main reason I choose the Halo is because I fly a lot of cross country in my Mooney and any other headset gets tiring after a few hours and the Halo is so light I can wear it all day. On shorter flights, the compatibility with glasses and voice clarity are the top reasons to use it. Phil isn't paying me anything for my feedback although he probably should. :D

Here's a video about my experience with Bose, David Clark, and Quiet Technologies Halo:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gagarin said:

Ear plugs together with passive headsets works better than ANR headsets and is cheaper, try it.

Tried it, not nearly as nice or comfortable on short or long flights. I also have spent hundreds of hours doubled up during shooting events. I still find DC/plugs noticeably less comfortable than other options. 

I used to own a QT headset - after wearing it on and off for about 6 months I found eventually I was not wearing it, grabbing consistently for my trusty Bose A20.  I seem to be one of those rare people who just didn't grove on the Qt.

I didn't like squeezing the tips into my ears and I never got used to the feeling of things in my ears.

I like that a standard headset allows me to use an oxyarm for comfortable o2, which is something I may or may not use on a given flight but always using a20 means I don't need to think through if I will or won't. 

I wear a baseball cap most of the time when I fly because I like it for shading the sun.

I don't care what my hair looks like.  When my hair starts to become an issue - time for a haircut.

E

• Like 3

Ebay, Bose X or Bose 20.  There are enough people who start their PPL and give up 6 months and 7 hours later that I’ve always got nearly new Bose anr for a real nice price.  They work really well and are very comfortable.  Lemo plugs are well worth it too.., never worry about batteries again.

• Like 1

Thousands of hours with DC with the Active Headsets ANR kit since the early 90s.  I recently ordered two more kits to done more.  When ordering, we had a conversation about my first set...right after they went in business.  I left the headset in the Bonanza when I sold it, the buyer was supposed to return them to me but it didn't happen.  I bought a couple private label ANR Lightspeeds when I built the RV7.  Wasn't impressed.  Bought a Halo.  So so.  Seems like every time I talk, I reach up and move the microphone back in front of my mouth.  Right now I am going back and forth with the DC/Active headset.  Seems like the DC is winning but wife doesn't like them clamped on her head.  Many years ago I went without any headset using foam plugs, speaker and hand mike. Then DC, then DC with foam plugs, finally the ANR.

I have had tinnitus, both ears since a nearby explosion temporarily deafened me when I was young.  It always seem the tinnitus was worse for hours after wearing any headset, especially the ANR.  It has also increased in intensity over the years.  Odd thing, my hearing is good for my age, some loss at the upper frequency range.  Just get all this extra noise.

• Like 1

I own both Lightspeed Zulus, and a QT halo.  I wear the QT for flight instruction in Cessnas, but I use the Zulus in the Mooney, and the occasional other, louder aircraft.

For whatever reason, I just can't get enough noise suppression with the QTs for them to be pleasant in louder aircraft.  I've tried all the different tips: rubber, silicone, yellow foam.  I can hear the radio and intercom fine, and I'm sure they're doing a reasonable job of filtering out the most damaging amplitudes/frequencies.  But they are undeniably, unquestionably, poorer at reducing overall ambient noise than any over-the-ear, active ANR headset I've ever worn.  I read stories all the time from people who say QTs and/or Clarity Aloft in-the-ears are just as good, or even better, than an over-the-ear ANR.  But I simply don't have that experience.

It's entirely possible this is just a function of my ear anatomy.  One thing I haven't tried yet - but will do so when I get around to it - is custom ear molds for the QTs.  I know the developer pooh-poohs them, but several folks I know use them, and it might bridge the gap in performance.  The QTs are certainly comfortable, and I want to like them a little more than I actually do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ebay, Bose X or Bose 20.  There are enough people who start their PPL and give up 6 months and 7 hours later that I’ve always got nearly new Bose anr for a real nice price.  They work really well and are very comfortable.  Lemo plugs are well worth it too.., never worry about batteries again.

Same here.

The ear muffs eventually get tired and those too can be purchased for very cheap on eBay too.  Like $15.

• Like 1

The new bose a20’s seem like they are trying too hard or using bad parts. 
I've had several and units fail. I maintain about 14 a20s for work. Along with cheap failing ear pieces has been my experience. The barrels of the mic jacks has changed slightly too. Some airplanes have a feedback from the mic and other headsets work fine. Music and blue tooth options are awesome with the Bose. They also pinch my head and are hard to keep in position. Overall they are very quiet.

I really like the Bose X I fly with in the Mooney. I installed the Oregon aero seals and noise blocking foam. They are still really loud but the most comfortable.

Other than lack of music options, the old Dave Clark’s are great too. Most are surprised how quiet they still are. Their support is the absolute best! 

My Co-workers swears by his Clarityaloft  and old DCs. 

-Matt

I've been in an old DC H10-30 with Headsets Inc ANR for about 20 years.  Works fine.  My wife finds it very uncomfortable, so I recently got a DC One-X for her to try.  When alone, I've been using the One-X and it is more comfortable.  My old rig never actually bothers me, but the One-X is lighter, ear pads a little more comfortable, fits smaller which is good for my head, battery life is better and Auto-shutoff is nice.  But it's not any quieter than the old one with retrofit ANR.

3 hours ago, Vance Harral said:

One thing I haven't tried yet - but will do so when I get around to it - is custom ear molds for the QTs.  I know the developer pooh-poohs them, but several folks I know use them, and it might bridge the gap in performance.  The QTs are certainly comfortable, and I want to like them a little more than I actually do.

Based on the recommendation of @gsxrpilot I had some custom molded ear pieces made at OSH and almost 2 years later I want for nothing else.  My wife is recently upgraded to QT from ANR and prefers QT with the stock tips.

Good luck and don't give up with your tip search.

One option I don’t see mentioned is UFQ anr L2 hi-lite they are like the QT but with ANR. I like them a lot especially in the summer when it’s hot as there are no ear muffs to sweat into like my Bose A20. The major drawback is the Bluetooth option. UFQ has a dumb battery powered adapter that you plug into the base and is not nearly as clear as the Bose headset which I love to use to call for an on the ground clearance over the phone. Also calling family through the Bose they say they can not hear that I’m in an airplane as it is crystal clear. So IFR flights I usually at least start out with the Bose but switch to the UFQ if it’s a long or hot flight also turbulence is better with the UFQ as the Bose will sometimes hit the ceiling in the bumps due to the extra inch taken up with the over the head band on Bose. 

I’ve always used FlightComs.  I use their anr now. I’ve tried the Bose and they are nice but no where near $1000 nice. At half the cost I’d buy a few of them 

I used to have a flight speed but they never wanted to fix their headsets. Just offer discounts off replacement. I like companies that support their products. 

Edited by RobertGary1

5 hours ago, 201er said:

What kind of headset do you use? What brand? What do your passengers get?

How does your hair look after wearing your headset on a long flight? How do your ears and head feel? How well can you hear the radios? How good is it for music? Do you wear glasses in flight? How does your headset mesh with oxygen system? Why do you choose the headset you use?

I tried them all, I have some hearing loss already from a previous life but it’s only in certain octave ranges. The anr headsets, aside from being incredibly uncomfortable on my head, gave me headaches and problems for days after long flights. 
I then tried the clarity aloft in ear. The noise reduction and clarity was exponentially better than Bose or lite speed, and they are so light and comfortable, wearing for 6 hours was no problem at all. 
I can’t imagine flying with anything else. 
The wife and kids are fine with the litespeeds or Bose, I wouldn’t subject any passenger I wanted to return to fly again, to the flight school specials...

I acquired a military DC headset from the tool crib (before they went to the dumpster) when SAC departed Mather AFB in ‘89.  I put a PTT/converter cord on it and used it in my Cherokee until I got the Mooney in ‘08.  I had upgraded the ear seals and a sheepskin headband cushion, and it was really good.  But, after a particular 12-hour day from KERV to KLHM, the squeeze got to be too much.  Based on MS reviews, I got a QT and was amazed at the quality of the sound.  I also thought the noise reduction was as good or better as the DCs.  I have tried ANR (both Bose and Lightspeed), but I didn’t think the audio quality was as good at the QT.  The only downside to the QT (for me) is they do take a few seconds to put on, vs. just slapping on a headset.  I’m going to get a pair of the custom ear molds and see how that works out.  

My discharge physical identified significant hearing loss and tinnitus.  Is there any concern that the ANR is producing identical noise to cancel out the ambient noise?  In effect, your eardrum is hearing extra noise that your brain doesn’t process?  

Or am I confused (again).     

4 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

Thousands of hours with DC with the Active Headsets ANR kit since the early 90s.  I recently ordered two more kits to done more.  When ordering, we had a conversation about my first set...right after they went in business.  I left the headset in the Bonanza when I sold it, the buyer was supposed to return them to me but it didn't happen.  I bought a couple private label ANR Lightspeeds when I built the RV7.  Wasn't impressed.  Bought a Halo.  So so.  Seems like every time I talk, I reach up and move the microphone back in front of my mouth.  Right now I am going back and forth with the DC/Active headset.  Seems like the DC is winning but wife doesn't like them clamped on her head.  Many years ago I went without any headset using foam plugs, speaker and hand mike. Then DC, then DC with foam plugs, finally the ANR.

I have had tinnitus, both ears since a nearby explosion temporarily deafened me when I was young.  It always seem the tinnitus was worse for hours after wearing any headset, especially the ANR.  It has also increased in intensity over the years.  Odd thing, my hearing is good for my age, some loss at the upper frequency range.  Just get all this extra noise.

My favorite is also an old DC with the ANR kit.  I also have a Bose X and even a couple of old Bose II.  While the Bose are comfortable, for some reason they actually create noise on takeoff and I can’t even hear the radio.  This only occurs in certain airframes....including my Mooney.  The DC conversion does not do this.  It has comfort pads that make it comfortable.  Of course, I don’t do the type of trips Mike does, so that may make a difference in my preference.